WTF: finish magically all F'd up

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Man, so this is the same guitar I wrote about the Peavey truss rod stuff about -- I managed to get a Peavey Vandenberg Puzzle the other day, and was pleasantly surprised that it was in great shape. I thought it could be close to mint apart from some fret sprout:

20221120_141629.jpeg
20221120_141635.jpeg

So I had it out last night on the couch, and then a through the afternoon today. I put it in the case, maybe around 3PM, opened it up just now at 6PM, and WTF:

20221125_174719.jpeg
20221125_174727.jpeg
20221125_174741.jpeg

There are these white streaks everywhere down the back of the headstock and smudges like fingerprints on the neck!? It looks like maybe even some on top of the headstock between the tuner pegs, too. I have no idea. My apartment goes through some pretty drastic heat swings through the day, from 18C to 30C or so, but I made sure it wasn't in a place that is hit by the sun. And it was face up anyway. Anyone know what this is? It seems like it's under the finish. It doesn't clean up.

I'm just so pissed. The whole thing about the puzzle vandenbergs is the finish. It was expensive, so I don't want to put more money into it. And If I have to refinish it, it could have been any version. Some guy in the other thread replied that I should stop buying guitars. I'm starting to come around to that idea if the bad luck is going to go so far to the point that they just going to magically damage themselves.

Last edited:

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
These problems of yours are starting to read like a guitar oriented Creepy Pasta. The ghost/entity/Lovecraftian Horror is just fucking with you more directly now.

I was mostly joking in the other thread about not buying until next year, and while my agnostic-near atheist self wouldn't say "This might be a sign..." in your situation, I'd be thinking it a now and then. Loudly.

Wish I could help, but I haven't a clue. Really hoping you finally get a massive win at some point soon.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Wax from the case rubbed off on the guitar? Also, sometimes a guitar, especially one with a lacquer finish, can develop "hazing" which is like a white haze is certain parts of the finish.

Either way, Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish should remove it.

Otherwise, I'm of no help here.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If they're nitro temp / humidity swings can jack things up but I didn't think those were a nitro finish... that is just awful, especially on something that rare :(

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Wax from the case rubbed off on the guitar? Also, sometimes a guitar, especially one with a lacquer finish, can develop "hazing" which is like a white haze is certain parts of the finish.

Either way, Virtuoso Cleaner and Polish should remove it.

Otherwise, I'm of no help here.

Somehow it seems more from the inside. Hard to tell, but anything I do on the outside isn't having any effect.

I am also no help, just coming in to say props to my man for having a 4x12 in his kitchen. Mad, mad, props.

Lol, my gf does not use the word 'props' to describe the situation there :D 18,000Y for a mesa cab with 4 g12t-75s... I can't turn that down regardless of how stupid it makes my living situation.

If they're nitro temp / humidity swings can jack things up but I didn't think those were a nitro finish... that is just awful, especially on something that rare :(

Yea, I agree, definitely doesn't seem like nitro to me. It had those little bubbles in the clear around the fret ends from where the frets expanded and retracted, so that's my only consolation -- if there's some way to fix this, that would also be fixed presumably. Do you know if it's possible to redo the clearcoat without messing up the basecoat? I guess alternatively could refinish the back and neck, but I wouldn't want the top refinished and there's a couple of small bubbles on it up next to where the body meets the neck. I didn't think those were there before either.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Lol, my gf does not use the word 'props' to describe the situation there :D 18,000Y for a mesa cab with 4 g12t-75s... I can't turn that down regardless of how stupid it makes my living situation.
Dude even empty that cab makes sense, if the conversion is correct that'd be like 130 usd?! Insane.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
18,000Y for a mesa cab with 4 g12t-75s... I can't turn that down regardless of how stupid it makes my living situation.

130 USD for a loaded MESA cab is a crazy deal. Even more-so being out of the US.

As for the stuff about guitar finish woes: I hope it doesn't come down to this, I really don't, but previous experiences with finish blushing (feat. light milky color in the wood finish, caused when moisture is trapped beneath the finish) ended up with stripping the clear coat and re-clearing. Or a full refinish if going for a different color whilst salvaging. Poly doesn't play along with those blush erasers and retarders others have tried using to remove blushing from, say, nitro finishes.

SpaceDock

Shred till your dead
Reaction score
Perhaps it’s time to refine your guitar collection storage area. I keep my guitars in a partial basement that has less than 4 degree F deviation the whole year. I bet this guy got cooked, 18 to 30C is nuts. Japan is expensive, but so are rare guitars.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Perhaps it’s time to refine your guitar collection storage area. I keep my guitars in a partial basement that has less than 4 degree F deviation the whole year. I bet this guy got cooked, 18 to 30C is nuts. Japan is expensive, but so are rare guitars.
I figure it HAS to be temperature or humidity variation, because I can't imagine what else it could be. But, 12 degrees of C change isn't huge. The only thing I can think is that if it were 18 degrees inside the case, and then it was open and removed, and quickly went to 30 degrees, then maybe - kind of like nitro checking. But I thought that was more for being super cold and then brought inside quickly.