Wiring Advice: Split+Blend or Freeway Switch?

Recommend Wiring Choice:

• Split/Blend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Freeway

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Something else (Explain below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I’m looking to do something a little different with my dual Cepheus Pendulum without drilling any new holes.

The first idea is to put a 4-pole ON-ON in place of the regular selector and wire it so I get neck/bridge in one position and inner/outer in the other. Then I’d run the two outputs to a blend knob and then a stacked tone/volume pot.

The other option is to get a Freeway switch and wire it so I’d get:
  • neck in series
  • inner in series
  • bridge in series
  • neck in parallel
  • inner in parallel
  • outer in parallel
and run that into the regular tone & volume pots.

The blend pot is appealing, because it seems like it will give me usefully different tones and the Freeway switch is appealing because it will give the six most useful combinations.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
I'd go with the Freeway, guessing it's the 3X3-05 you're looking at. Reason: you get all your sounds with one switch AND you can go from any of those sounds to any other easily.

Now for the fun part... consider that 2 coils deliver 6 sound combos:
1-series in phase
2-parallel in phase
3-north coil
4-south coil
5-series in reverse phase
6-parallel in reverse phase

Ditching 2 of the guitar's pots and having 3x of those Freeway switches (one for each hum and the 3rd for the mix and each switch will do these combos) you'll get a huge amount of tones at your fingertips.

Alternatively have the Freeway do those combos for the mix of both hums and use the Seymour Duncan's Tripleshot rings (or their schematics - 4 mini SPDT switches, 2 per pickup hum, 6 strings only) for a little less options...

I have a guitar with a blend pot (with center detent) for the middle single coil (it's an HSH). Although it works well, the "switching" from whatever the hums are doing to the single coil (or their mix) gets to be a bit clumsy or isn't as immediate as with a switch. The "in between" tones aren't that special either...

I've used this blend on this guitar because I didn't want to drill new holes and preferred to use its original ones. It delivers about 113 combos, not considering the "in between" positions of the blend pot.

Also, the blend pot only allows for parallel mixing options. In series it will kill the sound at either end... I think...

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
... Ditching 2 of the guitar's pots and having 3x of those Freeway switches (one for each hum and the 3rd for the mix and each switch will do these combos) you'll get a huge amount of tones at your fingertips. ...
That's "in the queue". have two Nemesis AFGs (outer Alnico Poles, Inner Neodymium Bars) that I plan on putting into a 6-string I have and I'll do just that, but with 3x6-way rotary switches.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
That's "in the queue". have two Nemesis AFGs (outer Alnico Poles, Inner Neodymium Bars) that I plan on putting into a 6-string I have and I'll do just that, but with 3x6-way rotary switches.

That's a possibility as well. I never messed with rotary switches because they don't they'll work well for fast and precise switching, with I sometimes need...

ElRay

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's a possibility as well. I never messed with rotary switches because they don't they'll work well for fast and precise switching, with I sometimes need...
QFT, this is intended to be a "studio" guitar.

Captain Shoggoth

literally just vibing
Reaction score
Definitely the Freeway. Only one control to reckon with for different positions, and the most musically useful set. That plus tone knob is hugely versatile in and of itself. It's a nice bit of kit too, smooth switching

Latest posts