Wintersun's Jari Mäenpää on Time II Problems

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Apropos of nothing, I actually really liked The Forest Seasons.

Anyway, I get how diva musicians get stuck in their own head and the project gets bigger and bigger etc but tbh Wintersun is pretty good but not exactly splitting the atom. There are other bands farting out hour+ of comparably complex/layered music without much issue. 18 years for three like 45 minute long albums is absurd.

If he got out of his own way, he could drop Time II or some other thing to buy more time (lawl) in a few weeks worth of work, and everyone will forget and throw money at him again.

Pietjepieter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hum I never listen to WIntersum before, but since this treat keeps popping up I checked them out...

In the words of the great Frank Zappa: "It's a little bit cheesy but nicely displayed"

Not my cup of tea but I hope for everyone that likes them that the will put out new music somewhere!

jruivo26

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Because Nuclear Blast probably owns the copyright for Time II, and he got into a douchebag argument with them over wasting their money.

I kinda feel that's the situation: Time II is finished but is being held captive by the label because Jari is full of shit since 2006

Metropolis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe he's just waiting on this guy Dylan to finish his guitars first, then he'll get busy writing again.

I've never been into "reality" tv, but I have come to realize I am addicted to threads about chronic procrastinators and the love/hate they leave in their wake.

Jari stopped working with Dylan on couple of guitars, because he couldn't finish them. He made a post about it on their patreon forum.

jruivo26

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jari stopped working with Dylan on couple of guitars, because he couldn't finish them. He made a post about it on their patreon forum.

That's exactly what he needs to finish the albums: MOAR EXPENSIVE GUITARS!!1!!

Besides the Jems, the PGM, the Daemoness, the Ibanez RGD, the Jackson, the Tokai Telecaster, the 2 or 3 Solars he has....... I feel the real issue here is he can't release more music because he doesn't have enough guitars.

Oh and maybe because he spends all the money he gets on useless redundant bullshit.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, I have been encouraged to listen to Wintersun. I listened to the song Time and thoroughly enjoyed it!

mehegama

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Because Nuclear Blast probably owns the copyright for Time II, and he got into a douchebag argument with them over wasting their money.
I think this is a very good explanation that to be honest never thought about. At this point is pretty evident that:
1. Jari is full of shit about everything
2. The money is gone. If anyone has seen a single inch of land or one brick for the studio let me know.
3. There will not be new music until Jari is totally skint and Pateron money is gone.

jruivo26

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, I have been encouraged to listen to Wintersun. I listened to the song Time and thoroughly enjoyed it!
I think that might be their best song. Still, the self titled has unparalleled magic and GUESS WHAT, it was recorded and mixed like a normal album and it f*cking smashes everything else

Metropolis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's exactly what he needs to finish the albums: MOAR EXPENSIVE GUITARS!!1!!

Besides the Jems, the PGM, the Daemoness, the Ibanez RGD, the Jackson, the Tokai Telecaster, the 2 or 3 Solars he has....... I feel the real issue here is he can't release more music because he doesn't have enough guitars.

Oh and maybe because he spends all the money he gets on useless redundant bullshit.

What I've heard, Jari has been quite creative with the ten or so guitars he's got... and supposedly those aren't only tools to make music when you have tons of plugins and a midi keyboard.

Money isn't gone, if you know the company name Jari is running, and look at the outcome information which is public knowledge in some degree. You simply cannot wash the money and just spend it by yourself into something useless.

The studio situation is at the "semi studio" level right now, where some of the money have been invested into better gear, such as studio monitors and a new computer. Monitor pair Jari is using costs something like 8-10 grand, and more powerful iMacs aren't cheap either.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I was listening to a podcast with Jason Richardson. He said he uses two slave computers so he can run projects with 100 sample library tracks and guys like Tom Holkenburg have templates that load up hundreds of tracks ready for their ideas. Maybe 10 years ago it wasn't possible but there's no excuse nowadays if someone like Jason is doing the same thing as Jari in his home.

But then again not being able to load the tracks was only one of the problems with released Time 2

Winspear

Tom Winspear
Reaction score
Yup it's really not that hard. Computer farms have been a thing for sample library use for about 20 years now, and never did they have to be expensive computers. These days SSDs are fast enough to stream entire orchestra libraries live so you don't even need the RAM anymore, nor is 64-128GB RAM particularly expensive in the grand scheme either

Antiproduct

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well in this regard I can understand Jari actually.
If MacOs is his known environment it only makes sense to stay in it. But, if he is in the market right now he sure isn't buying an iMac as these have 16GB of ram max. A maxed out mac studio (128gb ram, best processor, 8tb of extremely fast ssd) + 2 monitor screens are somewhat around 11k €. It seems expensive (and it 100% is more expensive than a windows machine) but it is actually not that much for a professional environment that generates most of the money primarily with that machine.
New monitors are kind of silly tho as he is buying them for his semi-studio. Room acoustics are much more important than the monitors themself and I doubt that he will spend a couple grand on an optimized room that he will, supposedly, abandon in a few years. The most expensive monitors will sound like entry gear in an unoptimized room. Also learning to work with new monitors is a pain in the ass and takes forever.

He got a lot of money and the tech to support his demands are here now. Time for him to actually start deliver ANYTHING because the list of complains to not put out music is getting smaller and smaller

jruivo26

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yup it's really not that hard. Computer farms have been a thing for sample library use for about 20 years now, and never did they have to be expensive computers. These days SSDs are fast enough to stream entire orchestra libraries live so you don't even need the RAM anymore, nor is 64-128GB RAM particularly expensive in the grand scheme either

Not to mention DSP hardware like the Universal Audio stuff that can take a huge load (heh) off the processing in the box.

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
Never mind....I've already soured on this thread. I feel like I'm getting jerked off and I'm not even waiting for the damn music. All I hear is fantastical excuses that plague not a single other band or musician on the planet right now from this guy
1663955993725.png