Wintersun's Groundhog's Day Thread

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
I tend to have 20 - 30 depending, if you exploded any buses out it would be closer to 50, most of that tends to be drums though

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
All the time in the world to create content, but no time to finish the fucking record.

No dude, we just don't understand the genius that is Wintersun. The music is so complex that Jari needs constant breaks from even writing it to allow his mega-brain to recover from the stress put on it by writing such intricate music. There's totally no way that he's just riding on the hype of an album that should have been out well over 10+ years ago just to make consistent money.

Idk if there is anyone in the metal community that I respect less than Jari at this point. Straight up con artist.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
He plays so good but something about his technique is very jarring, I can't put it into words exactly.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No dude, we just don't understand the genius that is Wintersun. The music is so complex that Jari needs constant breaks from even writing it to allow his mega-brain to recover from the stress put on it by writing such intricate music. There's totally no way that he's just riding on the hype of an album that should have been out well over 10+ years ago just to make consistent money.
This "I Can't Yngwie" video could be his way of telling us he needs a decade of guitar practice before he's ready to record the new Wintersun solos, because only a prime Yngwie could have played them well enough to do justice to their beauty and complexity. Crowdfunding must be needed to fly in Yngwie for private lessons, plus to build Yngwie a new personal sauna room.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I always find it crazy when a player of that level has trouble with something. Winter Madness and Beautiful Death have similar passages to the Fire & Ice intro but are much harder to play. Maybe he’s just having an off day cause the dude is a monstrous player. Also nice to see someone play it correctly.

Jari plays with the lowest action I’ve ever seen. The strings are practically on the frets. He uses light gauge strings and has a lightish but very controlled picking hand. I tried his guitar and every note fretted out.

No matter what rig and guitar he always has his staccato pick attack. I agree it isn’t nice to listen to but on CD or in a live setting it pops out of the mix.

Neon_Knight_

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah that's probably it. I didn't mean it in a bad way because he's obviously very good. But his guitar videos are tough for me to watch.
I always find it crazy when a player of that level has trouble with something. Winter Madness and Beautiful Death have similar passages to the Fire & Ice intro but are much harder to play. Maybe he’s just having an off day cause the dude is a monstrous player. Also nice to see someone play it correctly.

Jari plays with the lowest action I’ve ever seen. The strings are practically on the frets. He uses light gauge strings and has a lightish but very controlled picking hand. I tried his guitar and every note fretted out.

No matter what rig and guitar he always has his staccato pick attack. I agree it isn’t nice to listen to but on CD or in a live setting it pops out of the mix.
A lot of metal guitar sounds great as part of a song, but harsh in isolation.

Metropolis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
*gets an official Solar artist endorsment*
*doesn't use their guitars*

:lol:

(i'm not subscribed to his patreon so I haven't seen there lol)

He's been playing them like 4 years. And Solar endorsement is not too strict about what brand you can play, or show yourself with a guitar of another brand on stage or social media. Ibanez are from his old endorsement, Daemoness too. Dylan couldn't make the other guitars for him, so he backed off from that one.

KailM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To be fair to Jari, I don’t think he was going for epic *tone* in that Yngwie clip. Good to see a little humility out of him. Kinda shows how much of a perfectionist he is. If I could play like him on one of his bad days I’d be pretty content.😉