Will Russia invade Ukraine again? (Yes, yes they did)

oversteve

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seems like they somewhat backed off on their nuclear threats once again. At least Peskov said it's not something they are thinking on at the moment so idk what's going on in their heads. Maybe they are considering announcing a larger scale mobilization but looking at it now it's already on a larger scale then they have announced.

oversteve

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
meanwhile on occupied territories... russia is already filming a movie about ua nazi, biolabaratories and us generals :lol:

photo_2022-10-01_22-57-18.jpg
photo_2022-10-01_22-57-21.jpg
photo_2022-10-01_22-57-19.jpg
photo_2022-10-01_22-57-10.jpg

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If nukes go out pandoras box is going to be opened.

Highly unlikely. Putin knows if he uses nukes, even low yield tactical ones, he loses support from China and India. He NEEDS China right now.

Annexation was more of an attempt at an exit strategy versus justification for larger weapons.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Highly unlikely. Putin knows if he uses nukes, even low yield tactical ones, he loses support from China and India. He NEEDS China right now.

Annexation was more of an attempt at an exit strategy versus justification for larger weapons.

I know it's unlikely, the notion is still terrifying.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

Thing is, I don't think the decision to use nukes, if it occurs, will be a rational, carefully and logically thought out one. Going nuclear is a pretty big escalation, period. It's one of the few you can use from a position of disadvantage, as well. I think if Putin realizes he's losing the war, needs to save face to hold onto power at home, and needs to make some kind of a statement to try to break the spirit of western opposition and make them think it's not worth the cost of continuing to support Ukraine... yeah, from a position of desperation, it's not too hard to get to the point where a tactical nuke strike makes sense, China and India be damned.

China might not even really care.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I imagine the definition of "consult" in this case is "give us every square centimeter of your land as well as your first born children, or you find yourself committing suicide in the most glorious Russian tradition of falling out of a window.

Minor nitpick, suicide-via-defenestration is an OG KGB/CIA collab. Bonus points for getting mysteriously dosed with LSD beforehand, that's a real throwback.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thing is, I don't think the decision to use nukes, if it occurs, will be a rational, carefully and logically thought out one. Going nuclear is a pretty big escalation, period. It's one of the few you can use from a position of disadvantage, as well. I think if Putin realizes he's losing the war, needs to save face to hold onto power at home, and needs to make some kind of a statement to try to break the spirit of western opposition and make them think it's not worth the cost of continuing to support Ukraine... yeah, from a position of desperation, it's not too hard to get to the point where a tactical nuke strike makes sense, China and India be damned.

China might not even really care.

Putin may be irrational. There are other layers of military command that come before that button press. I don't think there is a Russian general that would follow that order. If Putin orders a strike, I believe that is when you see Putin "retired".

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Putin may be irrational. There are other layers of military command that come before that button press. I don't think there is a Russian general that would follow that order. If Putin orders a strike, I believe that is when you see Putin "retired".
That very well may be true... but how prepared are you to risk nuclear war on whether or not Putin has total control over the Russian military, or if there are generals who would stage a coup before allowing a nuclear war that Putin deemed necessary to defeat the West?

Russia isn't a constitutional democracy like the States, I wouldn't want to bet on their having the same checks and balances against executive power that we do.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That very well may be true... but how prepared are you to risk nuclear war on whether or not Putin has total control over the Russian military, or if there are generals who would stage a coup before allowing a nuclear war that Putin deemed necessary to defeat the West?

Russia isn't a constitutional democracy like the States, I wouldn't want to bet on their having the same checks and balances against executive power that we do.
I'm picturing a line-up of military personnel, generals, or whatever, standing at the other end of Putin's massive conference room table while he asks, "Push the button for me?"

They shake their head no, they "accidentally slip" out the nearest window.

"Next? Push the button for me?"

I'd imagine somewhere around four or five in somebody'd be willing to do it.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Two Russian asylum seekers made landfall on St. Lawrence Island, which is part of my home state of Alaska, on Tuesday. The story so far is they are avoiding compulsory military service. If that's the case I personally welcome them.

Interesting development regardless.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Two Russian asylum seekers made landfall on St. Lawrence Island, which is part of my home state of Alaska, on Tuesday. The story so far is they are avoiding compulsory military service. If that's the case I personally welcome them.

That's fine but they should be kept in jail until the war is over hahahaha

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
It's really strange to me that the western media I've watched is REALLY ratcheting up the Nuclear talk almost to fever pitch.

Some of them even quoting Biden today talking about "Armageddon" at a closed event last night.

Yet all Russian state media keeps saying the west is threatening them. It's a fucking gong show out there guys and maybe we are all going to get zapped because of a bad case of the telephone game........

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score

Oh great we already have a crisis at our southern border with asylum seekers now we have one brewing at our Alaskan border? You know if Trump were still in office he wouldn't allow this type of nonsense....oh wait I forgot he let Russians stroll with impunity into Mar-a-Lago, Trump Tower, the Oval office, the....

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if we learned he was using Air Force 1 while president to smuggle Russians into the US so they could continue to fund the NRA without dealing with pesky exchange rates.

You know what let me have my coffee and I'll come back with a better argument. I didn't fully flesh that one out properly

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I'm not kidding...every single day my spam folder gets junk email stating Ukrainian women want to meet me....me? Why so they can kick my ass?.... because that's apparently what Ukrainians do...they kick ass.

In all seriousness, this is very sad. That explosion couldn't have happened to a nicer illegal bridge.