Why I Miss Nu Metal

fps

Kit
Reaction score
exactly. for example, the song Nookie didnt contain one hook lol.... the whole riff is a hook lol.

*like a chump, like a chump, like a chump"

who DIDNT sing along with it? even if you were by yourself in your car, you KNOW you sang along lol.
It's nonsense, nu-metal was all about the hook.

One thing to consider for a lot of people now is that they listen to music, and in the rap world especially, kids who are into that, they're really just interested in whether they like the sounds. The fetishism of the guitar among the younger generation is really damped down, so how much technique it takes to produce something etc isn't really a thing for them. (This is to the ones debating Polyphia vs nu-metal etc).

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Staind - Dysfunction fucks
I was always confused as to why this got lumped in with nu-metal. It seemed more like a heavier Alice In Chains to me. I mean, a couple songs have chuffs riffs and screeches, but mostly it just sounds like super down-tuned AIC or something.

BlueTrident

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was always confused as to why this got lumped in with nu-metal. It seemed more like a heavier Alice In Chains to me. I mean, a couple songs have chuffs riffs and screeches, but mostly it just sounds like super down-tuned AIC or something.
Staind was the first band that I came across where I was astounded by what their tuning was and how low they tuned to. Mike Mushok is an unsung hero of modern Extended Range heavy music, regardless of how much of a knob Aaron Lewis is.

sevenfoxes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I can see that (though not nearly as talented as AIC).

Cold was also clumped into the Nu Metal category, probably because of their association with Fred Durst, but i think their music was more heavy grunge than anything else.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I saw Kontrust live a couple days ago and they were fucking awesome (and hella fun). One of the few new bands that still have that numetal sound going on. In these days of endless streams of ""prog"" metal bands, being able to just headbang like a madman with a punchy riff is a bless.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The only thing I can say I have in common with the singer of Cold is the last time I saw her she got breast implants.

penguin_316

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some old favs of mine....still go hard.

Sw1tched

Crash Poet (badass band from Chicago around the time Disturbed was getting popular)

Last edited:

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
Fuck yeah Switched! I love that album, just listened to it recently.