Why do I have noise?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by OliOliver, Feb 7, 2019.

1. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

I can't see where I've gone wrong wiring in these SD pickups. The red and whites are soldered together and put in shrink tubing. I followed the wiring diagram from SD themselves as best I could, but they recommend the toggle to volume grounding wire is joined to the two green/bare sets rather than the green/bare sets grounded individually to the volume pot. This is the only difference I can find to my work to the diagram. I get grounding noise by touching the pickups with my fingers but from nowhere else. If this is causing it, I don't know what to do, as I can't get all 5 wires through the tiny tab on the toggle meant for wiring the toggle grounding.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

when in doubt, start resoldering all connections one by one.

3. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Can you post the diagram you used?

4. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Sure, here's a link.

https://docs.google.com/gview?embedded=true&url=https://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/2H_3G_1V.pdf

I rewired so the pickups grounding is on the toggle switch as the diagram shows, as opposed to my original grounding on the volume pot. The buzzing is the same as before.

The noise isn't that bad, actually fairly manageable, just worse than my Prestige Ibby. Part of me wonders if it's maybe cheap hardware? (The electronics are from Axetec, which are pretty reputable as far as I know) Or maybe just how much hotter these are. These are an SD Nazgul & Sentient and my Ibanez has DiMarzio PAF7s which are way lower output.

5. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I don't order from axetech, I got some pots from them that broke apart when turned.
    Hotrox or Thomann for me.

Could be the pots, though maybe it's just that the pickups are hotter and brighter and that makes the noise more audible. Shielding might help. The biggest difference in noise I got in my guitars was when I shielded the cavities properly.

6. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

I thinking shielding might be part of it. Although it is a Japanese made ESP, so I'd assume it's shielded properly. I purchased some shielding paint from Crimson guitars but never got around to doing it. It might be the case actually, as every pickup I've had in this guitar has been a little noisier than I'd like.

Regardless, the Nazgul and Sentient are basically everything I've been looking for tone and response-wise. Replaced my BKP Black Hawks with them. The BKPs felt stiff to me?