Why are you sad right now?

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Live podcast show next month got cancelled due to scheduling conflicts, and Alkaline Trio got put on as the replacement for DGD with Coheed - a band who is quintessential early 00s pop-punk that I don't care for; so I listed my tickets for that show for sale too, and at worst I just show up really late to catch Coheed and skip both the openers.

Kaura

evanesencensencenenist
Reaction score
Read an article that early 00´s fashion, music and other things are trending among young people who were barely even alive during that time. Now I know how 80´s kids feel...

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Read an article that early 00´s fashion, music and other things are trending among young people who were barely even alive during that time. Now I know how 80´s kids feel...

Lifehack: Be a goth/scene/emo/egirl, then those things never stopped trending.

If there's one thing I've learned working in public schools as an adult it's that black nail polish is timeless.

Kaura

evanesencensencenenist
Reaction score
Lifehack: Be a goth/scene/emo/egirl, then those things never stopped trending.

If there's one thing I've learned working in public schools as an adult it's that black nail polish is timeless.

Seeing you're from Alaska maybe the goth wave of mid-00´s finally hit you. while the rest of the world already moved on, but god I wish it didn't. I was born like 2-3 years too late to enjoy the prime goth/emo movement. :lol:

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seeing you're from Alaska maybe the goth wave of mid-00´s finally hit you. while the rest of the world already moved on, but god I wish it didn't. I was born like 2-3 years too late to enjoy the prime goth/emo movement. :lol:

That's entirely possible, we had goth kids when I was in HS 2001-2005, but they were more your 80s style trenchcoat goths, and scene kids only existed on the internet for me during that time. My dad thought I was gonna go all columbine when I came home with black nail polish one day. I still wear it and send him pics regularly :lol:

Also looking back we did have a fair number of juggalos, at least as many as goth kids. Interesting that phenomenon seemed to travel more quickly, I have a suspicion it's because of the rural, alcoholic, bumpkiny-snow-hillbilly vibes of my dear hometown.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Here in the land of lumberjacks, I sort of missed the whole hipster fashion trend. It just seemed like the burly bearded men in flannels and suspenders suddenly started getting more tattoos and more piercings. :lol:

I don't think my generation's most mainstream trends are likely to come back in full force ever. Maybe just the baggy clothing part. Hopefully not the hair. Who knows, though.

Kaura

evanesencensencenenist
Reaction score
That's entirely possible, we had goth kids when I was in HS 2001-2005, but they were more your 80s style trenchcoat goths, and scene kids only existed on the internet for me during that time. My dad thought I was gonna go all columbine when I came home with black nail polish one day. I still wear it and send him pics regularly :lol:

Also looking back we did have a fair number of juggalos, at least as many as goth kids. Interesting that phenomenon seemed to travel more quickly, I have a suspicion it's because of the rural, alcoholic, bumpkiny-snow-hillbilly vibes of my dear hometown.

That's cool to hear. It's funny, when I was a kid I thought Alaska was just an extention of the main US with big cities and shit. But for the last few years I thought it was totally backwoods hillbilly kind of state because even the capital has less people than the small town I grew up in but your story makes it seem that it's somewhat civilized at least to some extent. :lol:

Edit: Speaking of Alaska, are you also experiencing the wonder of summer time as in the sun not settling for more than a couple of hours?

Last edited:

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's cool to hear. It's funny, when I was a kid I thought Alaska was just an extention of the main US with big cities and shit. But for the last few years I thought it was totally backwoods hillbilly kind of state because even the capital has less people than the small town I grew up in but your story makes it seem that it's somewhat civilized at least to some extent. :lol:

Edit: Speaking of Alaska, are you also experiencing the wonder of summer time as in the sun not settling for more than a couple of hours?

Yes, I live in Fairbanks, "the land of the midnight sun." We don't have 24 proper hours of daylight, but for most of summer the darkest it gets is "twilightish." My tomatoes are loving it.

Alaska is both of those things. We have Anchorage, which is our "big city" with tall buildings and traffic and such. The town I'm in has two overpasses, but it sprawls far outside the city limits, generally speaking higher elevation you have rich people houses with $million views, then down in the swamps and valleys the poors live in their dry cabins and tweaker trash castles.

Then there are the villages, we don't have reservations here but many of the indigenous population still live in their traditional areas, many of which are accessible only by plane or boat.

On my road alone you can walk from one end to the other and literally observe the gradient of ramshackle trash castles slowly getting bigger and less trashy until you turn up the hill and all of a sudden it's private drives and big windows.

Kaura

evanesencensencenenist
Reaction score
Yes, I live in Fairbanks, "the land of the midnight sun." We don't have 24 proper hours of daylight, but for most of summer the darkest it gets is "twilightish." My tomatoes are loving it.

Alaska is both of those things. We have Anchorage, which is our "big city" with tall buildings and traffic and such. The town I'm in has two overpasses, but it sprawls far outside the city limits, generally speaking higher elevation you have rich people houses with $million views, then down in the swamps and valleys the poors live in their dry cabins and tweaker trash castles.

Then there are the villages, we don't have reservations here but many of the indigenous population still live in their traditional areas, many of which are accessible only by plane or boat.

On my road alone you can walk from one end to the other and literally observe the gradient of ramshackle trash castles slowly getting bigger and less trashy until you turn up the hill and all of a sudden it's private drives and big windows.

Sounds nice! Hope I can visit The Last Frontier one day. :D

AwakenTheSkies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is it playing or all of the bullshit that goes along with playing?
I love the guitar. But I think letting go is the right thing to do. I've been stuck in a dead end for years now just being a bedroom shredder and producer, and it's not giving me what I want. I have another career path in mind. Just feel terrible about giving up on my dream and the worst thought for me is losing the skills that I worked so hard to get in the first place. My guitars and my plugins will be there no matter what I do, but the skills...😬😬

Metropolis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
And their baggy oversized clothes look like shit in my opinion, as it looked in between 90's/00's. Best sort of "timelessness" is to borrow good things from different decades and twist it to sort of a trend, but this is just not one of those in my opinion.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I hate the situation im in. I just started a job 2 weeks ago that im in dire need of, and dont think ill be able to find another that pays what it pays any time/place soon/near. I have been forced to listen to so much offensive stuff between a few higher ups about their issues with transexuals, joe biden, etc just a bunch of right wing pro gun nut anti trans/gay sentiments and the like. I want to say something but i dont want to be shunned as its a family business and I dont want to ruffle any feathers here. I fucking hate this.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I hate the situation im in. I just started a job 2 weeks ago that im in dire need of, and dont think ill be able to find another that pays what it pays any time/place soon/near. I have been forced to listen to so much offensive stuff between a few higher ups about their issues with transexuals, joe biden, etc just a bunch of right wing pro gun nut anti trans/gay sentiments and the like. I want to say something but i dont want to be shunned as its a family business and I dont want to ruffle any feathers here. I fucking hate this.
That's brutal, man, sorry you have to deal with that. Hoping you can tough it out for a while until you can find something better.

KnightBrolaire

OnlyPointies™
Reaction score
Man that's...that's horrible. Sorry that's happening.
It's even worse since he just graduated high school and has to deal with this shit. He has a very rare type of cancer, so it's been a fucking nightmare to find places that have experience treating it.