High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Okay guys, I'm stoked for a weird reason. My son (6) FINALLY enjoys tacos. I have been trying since this kid has been able to process hard foods to get him to eat some freaking Mexican food, and FINALLY got him to see the ways and he was laughing and giggling and just smashing down tacos.

He's half Mexican and half his family still live there, we are visiting later this year and really just want him to enjoy his families foods and traditions and finally got the door open!
Tacos are the way. Tacos are life. He is opening the door. Continue helping him by whispering these affirmations it to him while he's sleeping... He will know. He must know.

cowboystring

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What makes me happy is being in control of my happiness. I realized that my happiness is not dependent on external things, but a choice I make in every moment. Even when things are going badly, I can still be a happy peaceful person.

LordCashew

formerly an iron spatula
Reaction score
The question is, is he enjoying actual Mexican tacos or is he eating white people starter pack tacos?
Are you referring to the ground beef kind with burnt unseasoned pinto beans and ketchup in a crunchy shell?

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Are you referring to the ground beef kind with burnt unseasoned pinto beans and ketchup in a crunchy shell?

Don't forget to put out the black olives that no one asked for or wants!
What the fucking fuck? I figured the white people starter ones were the standard Tex Mex in a box - hard shells (which are bullshit), seasoning, shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream (in case you added too much pepper and it's too spicy), and shredded lettuce. Ketchup and olives sound like an atrocity, and I love olives.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
What the fucking fuck? I figured the white people starter ones were the standard Tex Mex in a box - hard shells (which are bullshit), seasoning, shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream (in case you added too much pepper and it's too spicy), and shredded lettuce. Ketchup and olives sound like an atrocity, and I love olives.

They are, the old El Paso ones, I think Spatula is saying that the salsa is more like ketchup than actual salsa, and any time I've ordered tacos from a Mexican joint they look nothing like what every suburban white family makes. It's always: flour tortilla with some cheese thrown on top to melt, a choice of protein (chicken/beef/shrimp [shrimp tacos are criminally underrated) and then it's like, real small diced tomatoes and a hair of lettuce; and even if you do ground beef, the seasoning isn't nearly like what comes in the packet, and the chicken is always either just straight grilled chicken or they were marinated so also different.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
They're a mix of traditional and tex mex, we like barbacoa on crunchy shells lol

His grandpa literally swam here, looked up out of the Rio Grande and got kicked back in by two cowboys who took his shoes. He approves of these tacos hahaha.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Well now I want Mexican for lunch. Shame I don't go to the testing facility for work anymore, because there was an incredible little hole I the wall that had great authentic Mexican food nearby, but it's not worth the ~40 mile drive from here.

LordCashew

formerly an iron spatula
Reaction score
I think Spatula is saying that the salsa is more like ketchup than actual salsa,
I mean, salsa does just mean "sauce" but no. I've seen actual ketchup. In California, where everyone should know better.

My friends were so excited for "taco night," but when I saw what that meant to them, I was horrified... :ugh:

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My mother-in-law's tacos are exactly what @LordIronSpatula is describing.

Granted, so is everything else she makes.

Spaghetti - noodles, hamburger, ketchup
Tacos - shells, hamburger, ketchup
Loose meat sammich - bun, hamburger, ketchup

Gah. I'm as midwest as they come, but gat dang it, do something with real flavor every once in a while!

DestroyMankind

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just started a new schedule at work. I work 12 hour shifts Friday Saturday and Sunday and I get Monday through Thursday off. So I'm pretty happy for now. I'm sure in a few weeks it'll wear off, so I'm enjoying my 4 days off for now.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
My mother-in-law's tacos are exactly what @LordIronSpatula is describing.

Granted, so is everything else she makes.

Spaghetti - noodles, hamburger, ketchup
Tacos - shells, hamburger, ketchup
Loose meat sammich - bun, hamburger, ketchup

Gah. I'm as midwest as they come, but gat dang it, do something with real flavor every once in a while!
Dude. Like, actual ketchup? I'm as Midwestern white as they come and that makes me want to just die.

I told my Mexican wife and she wants to know your mother in laws location.

brutalwizard

Pretty Your Petunia
Reaction score
i very rarely post on the forum, mostly ngd stuff.

just wanted to say as im about to turn 30, i became sober from adderal/coke for years now. Got a real job as a food safefy auditor recently. fell in love, have sporadic but solid side work in audio engineering. and have owned and sold lot of grail guitars and realized mid level gear does more then enough.

Hope everyone good,

-olas

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nothing says smug whiteness quite like judging others for how they have their version of something. Lmao

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They're a mix of traditional and tex mex, we like barbacoa on crunchy shells lol

His grandpa literally swam here, looked up out of the Rio Grande and got kicked back in by two cowboys who took his shoes. He approves of these tacos hahaha.
I've only had barbacoa (it wasn't pork head or whatever like it's supposed to be, but whatever) on little soft shells like you get at the taco trucks. I remember getting strange looks at school on Cinco de Mayo when I ordered langua. "Uh... dude, you know what the is right?" "Yeah, I do. It is cow tongue." "...okay, well enjoy."

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you eat tacos with ketchup you deserve all the judgement you get. :p
I don't care what someone else eats, aside from killing their pets (cats, dogs, gerb-sters, etc.) for food or cannibalism. If someone else wants ketchup (vomit!) on their food, more power to them. I will not be joining them in that travesty.