Why amp modelers don’t sound good through cheap pa speakers?

Reaction score
There’s inexpensive studio monitors that sound great with amp modelers but why not so great with cheap pa speakers? Like you have to tweak it to get something decent.

I hear that pa speakers like QSC, Yamaha dxr series , powercabs and other methods like using a poweramp with a cabinet is a better a choice but look at the price.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because most cheap PA speakers have cheapo, fixed crossovers and whatever cheap OEM speakers available.

Cheap is cheap.

Making quiet stuff loud takes effort, and to do it right, it costs a bit of money.

There are decent, mid-priced powered speakers, but they cost as much as guitar cabs anyway.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
When you start with Fake and add Cheap.....

:wavey:
Fake? If the end result sounds good, and you can't tell the difference in a recorded mix....how is that fake? How can sound be fake?

Oh I forgot if they don't use outdated technology from a bygone era, it's fake lol

quad7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Modelers need a flat response over a wide range of frequencies.

This is easier/cheaper to do at lower volumes and and in the sweet spot of a near/mid field ... which is the target for studio monitors.

PA are meant to be loud and fill a larger space. To stay flat in these conditions is much more challenging/expensive.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm glad this came up. I had picked up a Yamaha PA speaker at Goodwill to use with modelers/VSTs. Turned out that it didn't work and I returned it, but I was kinda considering getting another because I thought it might "feel" more like an actual guitar cabinet.

Guess I'll just stick with my Kali LP 6's.

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm glad this came up. I had picked up a Yamaha PA speaker at Goodwill to use with modelers/VSTs. Turned out that it didn't work and I returned it, but I was kinda considering getting another because I thought it might "feel" more like an actual guitar cabinet.

Guess I'll just stick with my Kali LP 6's.
I think that's a lost cause. You just can't recreate the physics of the cab. So just snag a can of you want that feeling.

Maybe someone will come out with a planar array of speakers and do near field IRs on like a 4 cm x 4 cm grid to emulate a cab with the flexibility of IRs, but it sounds expensive and I don't even know if would really work.

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
The reason I bought a modeller was for convenience, so hauling a cab around is out of the question. I bought the Headrush 8" monitor for my Helix and it sounds pretty damn good. It was only $280. Cheaper and more portable than a 12" PA speaker.

teamSKDM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the harley benton 212a-fr is a full range flat response 2x12 powered cabinet made for guitar modelers . 245+shipping at thomann

Xaeldaren

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been eyeing that for a while. I wonder if it's actually any good, though.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
would the corollary to this be why cheap amp modelers don’t sound good through pretty much anything?

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
would the corollary to this be why cheap amp modelers don’t sound good through pretty much anything?
Define cheap. I disagree even an ampero, hx stomp, etc sound pretty sick now. I bet most people can't tell the difference between a cheaper one and an AxeFX these days.