Who's picking vol knob locations on these "metal" guitars?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by MYGFH, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Science_Penguin

Science_Penguin SS.org Regular

I had this problem with my old Jackson a few years back. My solution was just to remove the knob. Just the knob. The pot was still there, looked kinda weird, but at least the only way I could mess with the volume was on purpose.

2. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

It's not necessarily a poor technique thing; if someone grew up playing a guitar with knobs further away from the bridge, like a Les Paul, moving to a strat or similar can require an adjustment (though I find the typical plastic strat knobs to be short enough that they don't bother me).

You can probably get used to raising your pinky a bit so it clears the volume knob pretty easily, but moving the knob works, too.

3. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

4. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Sure but if it was really that much of a nuisance there's plenty of possible solutions. Rewiring a mini toggle switch to turn the guitar into an on/off deal in the place of the volume knob. Or even on a minor scale just removing the knob for the show/taping it down at full volume so those minor knudges don't slowly turn your volume to zero.

I totally get you, but at the same time I'm explaining why it isn't a problem for me. My hand is curled into an almost-fist 90% of the time unless I'm hybrid picking and I never make contact with my knobs. My main guitar right now has them pretty close and even then I never feel it, if it was an issue for me I've long since overcome it.

It's different than on a Strat, it has the closest volume knob by design to the bridge/high e and sure I can definitely attest to that being slightly uncomfortable, but that's the worst case scenario design wise with the literal extreme.

Attached Files: