Which Baritone? Ibanez RGIB6 or PRS SE Mike Mushok?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by soundbase, Apr 24, 2019.

1. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

I'm am deciding between two Baritones. I can get a new Ibanez RGIB6 for $485, or I can get a used PRS SE Mike Mushok Baritone for $430? Which model would you go for?

I have read good things up about both, so hard decision. Guess the one big thing is the RGIB6 with EMG's vs the Stock passives on the PRS. I haven't used Actives yet, so don't even though if I'm a hater or not. Also the guitars are online, so I cant even try them to compare.

I'm wanting to tune down to Drop G, so the 28inch on the RGIB6, and the 27.7-inch on the PRS will help in getting me there with good tension and hopefully no intonation issues.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

Either are good choices but I find that low-mid tier ibbys are very much "try before you buy" guitars, much more so than most SE PRS. I would personally avoid the RGIB6 unless the seller has a good return policy (in case you end up not liking the guitar). The only other quibble would be that if you dislike the EMGs it's a bit more work to swap them out for passives or other brands of actives like fishmans.

The PRS mushok is a great guitar imo, I love mine. It's got a beefier neck than the ibby, where the mushok feels like a chunky D shape, and the RGIB6 is more of a wizard shape neck.
    The mushok tends to sound a bit darker/growlier with the stock passives. The stock passives are actually pretty good imo, but they're easy to swap out/sell if you don't end up digging them. The hardware is good quality but nothing amazing. The stock bridge is pretty comfy imo though.
    I've got a pretty bare bones demo vid of the stock pickups if you're interested.

Attached Files:

MerlinTKD likes this.
  3. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

Thanks for the video share. Great to hear a raw demo of the PRS Mushok. Definitely leaning more towards this.

4. The Spanish Inquisition

The Spanish Inquisition Unexpected

I'd go with the Mushok, purely because I used to have one and I almost regret selling it. The Mushok has better features, and overall better build quality. The stock passives in the Mushok are fine as well, I used to have a DiMarzio D-Activator the bridge because it lacked a bit of clarity, but that is entirely dependant of your rig. The shoddy QC from the Ibanez Iron Label series put me off massively from that side of the equation.

5. WiseSplinter

WiseSplinter SS.org Regular

Low G is absolutely doable, even on shorter scales. You probably don't need the 28 but it would be nice :)

I've not played a Mushok for longer than a few minutes so I can't really comment on that one, but a friend had a RGIB6 that I spent some time with and it was very nice.
    He had it tuned down to E (to mirror his bandmate who was using an 8 string) and it performed perfectly well. It had been set up by a pro though, for what its worth.

Good luck!

6. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I’d pick the RGIB for that thin neck but, i haven’t tried either.

7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

How many frets do you need.

8. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular

Recently got a SE Custom 24. It’s an absurdly nice guitar, hits way above its price range. If I was shopping for a bari 6, I’d be looking hard at the PRS. Really interested in the newer 7 string.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The Ibanez has a higher chance to be a lemon, and the PRS needs some work before it's a great guitar (nut and pickups).

I'd say get the Mushok. Even though you need to get upgrades, it'll still be a great guitar.