When using SD2/Metal foundry/EZdrummer DFH, how do you know it sounds good?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by WhiteLightOfDeath, Jul 9, 2019.

1. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I just watched tons of drum playthroughs to see what my favorite drummers do and then copied that.

Also, I personally can't stand writing drums in the grid. What I've always done is tab them out in guitar pro and then export the midi file. I find this way easier/faster.

WhiteLightOfDeath likes this.
  2. WhiteLightOfDeath

WhiteLightOfDeath Hidden Sword

I’ve heard of that method
    I think I’ll give that a shot too
    Try out at leasr

3. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

As far as what I've seen I'd have to say Cubase has the best drum editor. Might try that. I think Cakewalk (now free) also updated their so you can look at drum hits instead of grid.

Not a fan of djent at all but Misha is really cool dude on drum programming tutorials. Look at all the detail like ghost notes, etc. he goes into:

he has other drum programming tuts and also one from the other guitarist Nolly which is not bad:

I guess these guys are from Silicon Valley so they're good programmers :) Can't say I like much of their music but tuts are sound.

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Really it's just a matter of learning to think like a drummer. I've found a couple drinks help.

Especially for sparser stuff, this kind of stuff (and flams, I think they're called? where you sort of double a hit ever-so-slightly?) can be HUGE for realism.

EDIT - shit, honestly, we should probably be watching drum tutorials to learn how to program drums. Like, actual drummers demonstrating things.

KailM and WhiteLightOfDeath like this.
  5. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

The tip I didnt see anyone mention is pull up rudiment tutorials. One of the reasons a lot of drums sound boring is people write drum parts on a map. When drummers play, a lot of the decisions they make are based on available hand/foot and whqt the hand foot is close to (most plays wont hit the far right china when playing a high hat groove for example, unless for a very specific intent). Same with rudinent patterns. Going snare toms1,2,3 sounds boring if you do it all of the time, but doing a paradiddle pattern around the hit sounds more interesting, and still follows the principle of available hand dictates what is hit.

This is where a lot of programmed or even played but on a midi controller in a piano layout can cause issues. A simple melody line on a piano may be difficult on a guitar, violin, horn. A simple guitar pattern may feel really weird to play on a piano. The instrument sometimes dictates phrasing because of how the notes fall under the fingers so to speak. Drums are no different.

Drew, WhiteLightOfDeath and Descent like this.
  6. WhiteLightOfDeath

Thanks for all the suggestions and links to the tutorials.
    I am digging them, and you’re right the misha tutorial is also helpful

Also about the rudimentary tutorials, thats kinda what i was hinting at with my very poor knowledge of drums and kits, but as drew pounded into my head (lol) it just takes a bit of patience, its like learning the guitar, except its with a VST that i really dont want to play with lol...but i need to, its the most important thing for a metal guitarist to learn i think (besides mixing, which i also suck at, but i bought a very nice book on it for $10 and its well written so i hope that helps my next phase....after recording guitars (with my axe iii its not a problem, and i do the Misha pan left and right trick) but still man, still.......patience and time

I’m trying , at the moment, I’ve been stealing grooves, listening to bands, and trying to match up

At the same time, I’ve been opening the “piano roll” midi editor, and I’ve been changing up some patterns...not with any accuracy mind you, but it sounds more humanized and dynamic as you guys suggested

Really I’ve been workingALL day on this shit, so thanks for the help, it was very useful so far and i just scratched the surface of what some of you provided

If ANYONE has some home made grooves, or full metal midi tracks they wouldn’t mind sharing please let me know

This has been a great and informative thread

7. WhiteLightOfDeath

ok so this is just the start
    tell me if THIS could be the start of a nice track, and please don't steal it if is lol Mixdown.mp3

8. PatientMental76

PatientMental76 SS.org Regular

Use soundcloud or something bro, but yeah it could be cool are you writing the drums first with no music?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  9. WhiteLightOfDeath

I used to write music after I gave my drummer some riffs to come up with. Then I started to write music with guitar grooves as the catalyst so it comes out sounding like I wrote it in tandem. So essentially yes I am “writing” drums first because once they are down I don’t change the structure but at the same time I’m also writing riffs to go with each groove and or theme . I wish I could write the drums without a template but I can’t yet not yet anyway

https://soundcloud.com/christopher-f-703894271/mixdown

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  10. WhiteLightOfDeath

Ok. So i finally got guitar pro, and there is so much there i cant beleive what the program became since the first one (yes, i am 35 and i was there for the first edition was incredible but this sounds real. Now) anyway

Where is a good place for grooves? Like a. Midi pack ? Online and free i mean, or if anyone has any like the Diabolik and library of the extreme midi files please lmk

Thanks for the help again
    Im getting there, i tried writing an intro by myself and it was a fail biut I’m trying

11. WhiteLightOfDeath

Well I just found out I could hook up my midi pad on my Alesis V49 keyboard and control drum tracks
    Using the preset maps, Im actually able to record drums in real time through the VSTs (SSD4 and SD2/EZDrummer)
    This is unbelievable. I just wish I knew what I was writing, but its so cool to be able to edit "on the fly" with midi control

12. WhiteLightOfDeath

13. WhiteLightOfDeath

That bad ??? No one? Beuler ??

BananaDemocracy likes this.
  14. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

I think no one said anything because its fucking incredible and we all think your bulls hitting about not knowing how to program drums!!! Lol jk
    Nice work man, keep it up, i want to hear the rest of the track, it’s AMAZING, killer killer riffs dude

15. WhiteLightOfDeath

16. crossthestyx

crossthestyx SS.org Regular

EZD2 loops come pretty well pre-mixed. Those loops don't sound as good when dragged into SD2 in my opinion. It really depends on what you're looking for in quality. You're not going to get those drums to sound great without good monitors and really spending some time learning how to mix your tracks, including drums. There's tons of videos on youtube that you can pick up little tips from. I use a "Reference Track" sometimes to get closer to the sound I want. (Reference Track is a favorite band or artist song I drag into my daw to get a closer mix and sound of how I want my song to sound.) Start watching ALL the tutorials for the toontrack products you own! Then start watching ALL the tutorials for your daw, then mixing, then mastering. lol.. Good Luck! :)

17. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

the best thing I've ever done with SD2 etc is to stop trusting the velocities used in templates. everything that's in Metal Foundry for exemple can support having its velocity slashed by a good margin. Probably a case by case basis (I don't do supermodern drums, I like them vintagey) but going easy in the velocities will help.