When Brian May Introduced my band Collibus

Stephen

Collibus
Reaction score
Well, I never imagined this would happen ever! Was a weird and surreal day to be fair. One of the strangest gigs I've ever played in my entire life!

The gig was at Parliament, The House Of Commons for a start which is not exactly a music venue as you know haha. Basically we won a competition in July called Rock The House which more info can be found here Rock The House if any UK band are interested in applying for this year, Yes Metal bands too!

Anyways, What a surreal gig, since we were winners of last years competition we were invited down to play for the Launch Party for this year. Place had a hell of a lot of people from the music industry which was great for us because we got to network and make a hell of a lot of contacts but the whole thing supports live music in the UK (probably best off reading the website to be fair). Ended up playing in front of Brian May who also introduced us before we started our short and very quiet set (compared to normal anyways haha) but Bruce Dickenson, Bernie Marsden, Mark Hoppus and Ace from Skunk Anansie was there as well.

1402846_10202517661801686_1958771177_o.jpg

Turns out Brian May loved our set and came over to me afterwards saying he loved my playing which left me quite speechless to be fair, but then started asking me questions about my Ibanez RG7621. Apparently he'd never seen a 7 string before and was really interested in them. Since then he's been posting about us on his website and twitter, also making jokes saying that he needs an extra string now hahaha. I'd love to see him play a 7 string, was gonna let him try mine but people ended up coming over and hounding him unfortunately.

Turns out we was the very first Metal band to ever play in the House Of Commons and obviously the first time 7 strings have been there too haha. Shame I couldn't take my Laney rig though, security is more strict than airports and would have had people dismantling my rig to check it all. I had issues getting into the building with my guitar pedals!

Anyways my Singers sister took this video of Brian introducing us, thought I'd share it! This is definitely a day I'll never forget!

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
If you somehow lead to Brian May switching over to 7 strings you will officially be my new hero.

Do you have any videos of some of the set?

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
That is the coolest thing ever.

I'd love to meet Brian May, he's one of my favourite players and seems like a really nice guy. I'd probably just end up making a tit of myself though, especially if I had to play in front of him. No pressure at all, eh? :D

Stephen

Collibus
Reaction score
That is the coolest thing ever.

I'd love to meet Brian May, he's one of my favourite players and seems like a really nice guy. I'd probably just end up making a tit of myself though, especially if I had to play in front of him. No pressure at all, eh? :D

I did mess up when he moved to my side of the stage and watched me. Was waving his arms up when I was doing a solo which made me mess up the solo completely but luckily wasn't noticeable to anyone who'd never heard the song hahaha.

But yea, he's a really nice guy. The shock of when he walked in the room though got me. I was standing talking to my other guitarist when Bruce Dickinson walked in and I was like "Oh, its Bruce" but when Brian walked in the room i literally gasped like a fanboy hahahaha.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Well, I never imagined this would happen ever! Was a weird and surreal day to be fair. One of the strangest gigs I've ever played in my entire life!

The gig was at Parliament, The House Of Commons for a start which is not exactly a music venue as you know haha. Basically we won a competition in July called Rock The House which more info can be found here Rock The House if any UK band are interested in applying for this year, Yes Metal bands too!

Anyways, What a surreal gig, since we were winners of last years competition we were invited down to play for the Launch Party for this year. Place had a hell of a lot of people from the music industry which was great for us because we got to network and make a hell of a lot of contacts but the whole thing supports live music in the UK (probably best off reading the website to be fair). Ended up playing in front of Brian May who also introduced us before we started our short and very quiet set (compared to normal anyways haha) but Bruce Dickenson, Bernie Marsden, Mark Hoppus and Ace from Skunk Anansie was there as well.

1402846_10202517661801686_1958771177_o.jpg

Turns out Brian May loved our set and came over to me afterwards saying he loved my playing which left me quite speechless to be fair, but then started asking me questions about my Ibanez RG7621. Apparently he'd never seen a 7 string before and was really interested in them. Since then he's been posting about us on his website and twitter, also making jokes saying that he needs an extra string now hahaha. I'd love to see him play a 7 string, was gonna let him try mine but people ended up coming over and hounding him unfortunately.

Turns out we was the very first Metal band to ever play in the House Of Commons and obviously the first time 7 strings have been there too haha. Shame I couldn't take my Laney rig though, security is more strict than airports and would have had people dismantling my rig to check it all. I had issues getting into the building with my guitar pedals!

Anyways my Singers sister took this video of Brian introducing us, thought I'd share it! This is definitely a day I'll never forget!

May is one of my idols, he is a tone God, and to hear he was interested in 7 strings is AWESOME! The man keeps delivering. Let's hope he tries something with a 7 string sometime, it would be insane. Maybe even make a Red Special 7, a man can dream! hehe

Also, congrats to your band, this is awesome!

Stephen

Collibus
Reaction score
Cheers dude! Yea, i'd be interested in a Red Special 7 String. My girlfriend has a Burns version which is a really great guitar and fun to play. So yea a 7 string version would be even better haha

Abaddon9112

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Brian May. I've made a solemn vow to one day acquire a Red Special and AC30 for the sole purpose of ripping off that tone. Awesome story man, I'd be totally speechless if that happened to me.

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
I am a pretty solid Vox fanboy and have been for a long time, imagine what Brian could talk Vox into building if he started playing 7s!

Rommel

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Congrats to you and your band. Brian May is one of my favorites too.

SirToastalot

Needs a better rig..
Reaction score
Wow, congrats man. Must be amazing to be an ambassador of the 7-string to such an icon. It's great that he's open to further developments of the guitar and not just stuck with a 70s mentaility.

It's great that things like this can happen at such 'stuffy' places. My sister was working at the Treasury building when one of the Fast & Furious movies was being filmed in the court outside -gyrating girls and all. :spock:

Pat_tct

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
dude. that is possibly the best that can happen to a musician.
congrats!
i hope the networking you did there will help you in the future

OmegaSlayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Great job dude, now your next task is making Tony Iommi aware of the 8 and 9 stringers ^__^

TheFashel12

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
Reaction score
Congrats ! Thats amazing !

I remember seeing your Laney IRT demo and your an amazing guitarist and I love you're style :hbang:

Stephen

Collibus
Reaction score
So, where's the video of the performance? :coffee:

In the news link I posted, they only used a few shots unfortunately. Don't have any full videos which is a shame :/

Wish there were as I'd like to see them myself.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Great job dude, now your next task is making Tony Iommi aware of the 8 and 9 stringers ^__^

Iommi actually has a custom SG 7 String. I don't know who made it, but I've seen a picture. He probably knows about 8 strings by now, but hey, good idea anyway :D