What's your practice routine like?

BeyondAntares

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For those that have been playing for a few years, how do you usually practice? Do you focus more on older songs or learning new material?

Do you look at exploring different styles or focus on theory?

Mboogie7

Lefty's unite!
Reaction score
We’re talking about practice!? I’ll leave my Allen Iverson jokes at the door 😂

Personally speaking though - I’m not sure I’ve “practiced” in years. What I do if I want to get better is I’ll write material I can’t play, and then work on building up speed for that. Or, I’ll check out a song that I’m really into, but I haven’t had any inspiration to learn others material in a while.

PuckishGuitar

Midlife crisis miserable failure
Reaction score
Usually my routine is to warm up with a few scales and picking exercises.

*Fuck around with my amp settings and effects for an hour before just going back to what I had at first (kidding but not kidding). This can happen multiple times and is sometimes all I do.
*Run through Major/Minor/Phyrgian in 3 positions using strict alternate picking.
*Couple of stretch exercises from Ben Eller that I like
*Fast chromatic runs across the board, build up to 16th notes at 170bpm
*That Petrucci crawl where each finger is playing the flatted fifth of the note prior across the board

From there I'll spend some time on what I wanted to do when I picked the guitar up that day - learning new songs, translating something new in my head to actually playing it, learn/master a new technique, look into unusual scales or chord progressions and their modes, continue turning knobs to understand some nuances in tone stacks and gain, or experiment with recording/mixing stuff. I tend to do the learning new songs or songwriting on the weekends when I have bigger time blocks to focus. I find that I tend to pick up theory better in small chunks repeated in multiple sessions, which is good when working from home and I can just pick up a guitar when I feel like it and practice for a few minutes - I have been called out on a conference call for my unplugged strumming :lol:

Often though there is no real practice and I just want to play something fun that fits my mood at the time.

clemencecc

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Usually my routine is to warm up with a few scales and picking exercises.

*Fuck around with my amp settings and effects for an hour before just going back to what I had at first (kidding but not kidding). This can happen multiple times and is sometimes all I do.
*Run through Major/Minor/Phyrgian in 3 positions using strict alternate picking.
*Couple of stretch exercises from Ben Eller that I like
*Fast chromatic runs across the board, build up to 16th notes at 170bpm
*That Petrucci crawl where each finger is playing the flatted fifth of the note prior across the board

From there I'll spend some time on what I wanted to do when I picked the guitar up that day - learning new songs, translating something new in my head to actually playing it, learn/master a new technique, look into unusual scales or chord progressions and their modes, continue turning knobs to understand some nuances in tone stacks and gain, or experiment with recording/mixing stuff. I tend to do the learning new songs or songwriting on the weekends when I have bigger time blocks to focus. I find that I tend to pick up theory better in small chunks repeated in multiple sessions, which is good when working from home and I can just pick up a guitar when I feel like it and practice for a few minutes - I have been called out on a conference call for my unplugged strumming :lol:

Often though there is no real practice and I just want to play something fun that fits my mood at the time.

Hi! I'm new aboard and have to say doing smth similar :)

My guitar practice routine usually starts with scales and picking exercises for warm-up. Then I spend way too much time messing with my amp settings and effects, eventually going back to where I started (happens more than once!). I run through Major/Minor/Phrygian scales in different positions using strict alternate picking. I also do some stretch exercises by Ben Eller that I like.

Looks amazing. I was shocked when reading your routine XD

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Usually it involves playing some random exercises, and then trying to learn a new bit. Followed by running through songs, and then devolves into pointless noodling.

Afterwards, I think to myself "I should really have a practice routine."

T_Gobbs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Besides some basic stretches (chromatic hammer ons and pull offs with each pair of fingers up the neck), I just play the lick I want to play to a metronome at half speed until I'm feeling loosened up.

Pietjepieter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just try to play stuff that I can not play...

Couple of years back I mainly practiced exercises, tree notes per sting scale runs, chromatic stuff, sweeping etc.
But at some moment it is just boring I guess. So no I try to learn songs to a metronome. Currently working on BTBAM (revolution in limbo), Protest the Hero (the dissentience) and Monuments (Make shift harmony). I do still pracise also some runs and sweeps etc. but less intensive than years back.

I found exercising with practicing actual songs a lot more rewarding! And if you choice the right songs it is also a bit better I think. Because in a song you kind of continues combining different techniques, and also it directly shows how to use them.
And its more fun. If for instance you want to be good in down picking, you can just practice 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 to a metronome but practicing some sick trash riffs to a metronome is way more fun in mine opinion.

Bonus link the free protest the hero tab: https://www.sheethappenspublishing....oskin-and-15-years-of-fortress-riff-playbooks

clemencecc

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just try to play stuff that I can not play...

Couple of years back I mainly practiced exercises, tree notes per sting scale runs, chromatic stuff, sweeping etc.
But at some moment it is just boring I guess. So no I try to learn songs to a metronome. Currently working on BTBAM (revolution in limbo), Protest the Hero (the dissentience) and Monuments (Make shift harmony). I do still pracise also some runs and sweeps etc. but less intensive than years back.

I found exercising with practicing actual songs a lot more rewarding! And if you choice the right songs it is also a bit better I think. Because in a song you kind of continues combining different techniques, and also it directly shows how to use them.
And its more fun. If for instance you want to be good essay in down picking, you can just practice 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 to a metronome but practicing some sick trash riffs to a metronome is way more fun in mine opinion.

Bonus link the free protest the hero tab: https://www.sheethappenspublishing....oskin-and-15-years-of-fortress-riff-playbooks
Uhmm, it sounds interesting, so what motivated you to shift your practice routine from mainly focusing on exercises to learning and playing actual songs?

Pietjepieter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Uhmm, it sounds interesting, so what motivated you to shift your practice routine from mainly focusing on exercises to learning and playing actual songs?
I got bored with exercises, i find playing songs more fun, and also makes me a better musician. I mean ripping trough 3NPS excersisis at a sick number of BPM is cool, but even cooler in a song. I came to the point that I was only excersicing and not making music anymore.... Try to make music (and combining that with stuff that makes you also technical better)

gnoll

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I only practice if there's something specific I need to play/record etc. And then I will practice that specific thing, using spaced repetition, whenever/however I feel like it. I don't do "exercises" etc. And I have no reason to learn theory because I already know it.