What's YOUR favorite metalguitar tone?

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Periphery's one of the only "djent" bands I know of that had great tone. It's a case of mids being important, but not clogging the entire spectrum between 700hz - 1k.

Wasn't a fan of the first album's sound, but PII onward, the guitars are monstrous. Reminds me more of 2000s metalcore than it does 2010s djent.
Agreed. They started off with a pretty typical djent tone and then figured out how to make it sound huge while maintaining the string definition and cut. It helped to have Nolly around, I'm sure. Misha has also become a good producer who knows the post-production tricks to make that happen.

melomanic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is a non-exhaustive list for sure, but it includes a lot of good ones I've referenced over the years:

Metallica - The Black Album
Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory; Meteora
Trivium - Ascendancy; The Crusade; Shogun
Nevermore - Dead Heart, in a Dead World; Enemies of Reality
Dream Theater - The Glass Prison; Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence; Train of Thought; Octavarium; Systematic Chaos
John Petrucci - Suspended Animation
The Faceless - Planetary Duality; Autotheism
Cynic - Traced In Air
Between the Buried and Me - Alaska; Colors; The Great Misdirect; Parallax I & II
Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist; Diamond Eyes
The Contortionist - Exoplanet; Language
Evil Day of Death - EP1

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To elaborate on my post earlier. I gave examples of my favorite metal tones. If there was one or 2 I'd aspire to actually sound like it'd be Petrucci or Tremonti. At least in anything Drop A and above.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure that I have a definite favorite tone anymore. I often find myself drawn more towards the mix itself - the sum of all the involved instruments - than a specific tone. I guess that's the "producer" side (read: bedroom musician recording simple demos) of me speaking though, after having dialed in many "a great tone" only to find that it sounds horrible in a mix! :lol:

I do often find myself drawn towards the specific tone on Xerath - III though :)

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Chimaira's guitar tone with the Peavey 5150 II and 6505 amps with Mesa Boogie cabs for sure! Rob Arnold explains in this video that his rig consisted of a tuner and a noise gate into the amp. He had the fucking gain knob set to like 8 without any tubescreamers or overdrives! Yet they still got an insane tone on the album's and live!

yan12

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Recorded metal tones of recent vintage I really like are Testament's The Formation of Damnation and Michael Romeo's War of the Worlds...

As an old man now, I loved 70's and 80's tones because that's what my ear grew up on. I always wanted Mark Diglio's tone on that Hungry album he did with XYZ. I have been looking for a Morin amp/preamp since then.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Recorded metal tones of recent vintage I really like are Testament's The Formation of Damnation and Michael Romeo's War of the Worlds...

As an old man now, I loved 70's and 80's tones because that's what my ear grew up on. I always wanted Mark Diglio's tone on that Hungry album he did with XYZ. I have been looking for a Morin amp/preamp since then.
That album is killer. I heard of them through Rocco Pezzin or whatever his name is on YouTube. I had never heard of them before and thought that HH Boogie riff was great.

makesexnotwar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't think there is a one favorite tone but I can come up with a list of albums with a tone that I quite enjoy.

All That Remains - The Fall Of The Ideals
Crystal Lake - Helix
Slipknot - Slipknot
Slipknot - IOWA
In Flames - Reroute to Remain
In Flames - Colony/Clayman
Textures - Phenotype
Fear factory - Mechanize
Whitechapel - Whitechapel
Spiritbox - Eternal Blue