What's YOUR favorite metalguitar tone?

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
You can hear their tone through all that insane clipping? jk

think this is a recto?

I heard this album was potentially a POD or POD XT?

Pods didn't exist when NOLA was recorded.

They used Mesa Boogie heads and Kirks old Randall RG100 amps, basically Dimebag's setup.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
Mine would be

Morbid Angel - Nothing is Not
Pantera - The underground in America

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Album favorite guitar tone:
Annihilator - Alice in hell & Never, neverland
Metallica - Ride the lightning
Dream Theater - Images & words

Amp-wise:
Diezel Herbert
DSL 2000
Engl savage
Mesa Dual rec

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Probably anything from Alexi Laiho (not Blooddrunk). Jon and Matt of Shadow's Fall had some pretty good tones as well. I think KSE had some great tones on the Howard Jones records (not a huge fan of Jesse).

SJShinn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm a sucker for anything Gary Holt, especially Impact is Imminent, and Tempo of the Damned. Supposedly both were recorded with the same modded Marshall JCM-800. Later era Testament has some killer tones as well. But I can't stand some of the newer, really honky, mid-heavy tones a lot of bands have been employing.

GenghisCoyne

im here to party
Reaction score
jon Levasseur's tone for solos is one of my favorite guitar sounds but i dont think i (or likely anyone else) would know what to do with it if i were handed a rig that made that sound.
Desert island tone would probably be onset of putrifaction.I have deep feelings of nostalgia for those couple years in the 2000s when everyone wanted an x shape guitar and engl amps.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
jon Levasseur's tone for solos is one of my favorite guitar sounds but i dont think i (or likely anyone else) would know what to do with it if i were handed a rig that made that sound.
Desert island tone would probably be onset of putrifaction.I have deep feelings of nostalgia for those couple years in the 2000s when everyone wanted an x shape guitar and engl amps.
The solos specifically on Whisper Supremacy, holy shit.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Probably anything from Alexi Laiho (not Blooddrunk). Jon and Matt of Shadow's Fall had some pretty good tones as well. I think KSE had some great tones on the Howard Jones records (not a huge fan of Jesse).

All very true statements. Alexi I think takes it for me. When I think of the term "guitar tone" him and EVH are the first people to come to mind.