What's YOUR favorite metalguitar tone?

Perge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Realized I wasn't loving a lot of modern metal sounds, either too mushy in the Putney or camp, or too mid forward a la Trivium. Looked back through some CDs to see what tone I actually like and was curious what a good metal tone was to you guys.

Toss up between the everblack album by TBDM or the ruination alum by JFAC for me personally.

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fear Factory - Demanufacture.
Typical me... it being pretty much unobtanium, with how much studio magic went in to it. I genuinely wish my favourite tone was something incredibly common, instead of spending my life lusting after that, but there we go :shrug:

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Old Man Gloom - Christmas. The whole album is brilliant and the tones are superb. Perfect balance between hairy blown out doom and focused, savage chugging. All their other stuff is great too but Christmas is really a the standout for me.

Hollow Sunshine - Held Above. Despite playing a lot of it, most doom tones sound like mushy shit to me. This album nails it. Huge wooly model T (I assume) grind but still with so much clarity and "space" in the finished result. The bass and guitar work together flawlessly to create absolutely planet-crushing riffs, and also make it clear just how much of the perceived "low end" in these styles comes from the bass, not the guitar, and how much of the overall effect is them in combination rather than either one on its own.

chugzilla

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yeah machine head...fear factory...slipknot....six feet under...dying fetus....list goes on haha......alot of good tones on there albums

Quiet Coil

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Top of my head? Wes Borland (Limp Bisquick stuff anyway, which of course isn’t metal). Thick, consistently tasty and suits his playing.

There’s a reason there’s no LB without him (even when his guitars aren’t heavily featured). I’d say “if only Durst weren’t there” but… actually yeah, Durst probably made them popular but is ultimately the only thing holding them back.

Runner up for me might be J’s tone on Astro-Creep:2000 (very similar to Wes actually, maybe a bit more saturated and brighter).

EDIT: Yeah, guess I’m still a sucker for Mesa after all these years. Always a fun discussion, as most of my favorite albums don’t necessarily contain my favorite tones and vice versa.

EDIT:EDIT: Oh, and Ty Tabor on Dogman. Why the hell have I never owned an actual Recto?

Last edited:

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Tough to settle for only one. These are some that come to mind at the moment:

The Black Dahlia Murder: Nocturnal
Killswitch Engage: As Daylight Dies
In Flames: Colony

Realized I wasn't loving a lot of modern metal sounds, either too mushy, or too mid forward.

Trivium's last album managed to combine both, and not in a good way. On the flipside, Shogun is an honorable mention here. At the very least, that was the last album coming to mind where their guitar solo tones didn't sound so phoned in.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
My top album picks in a very slight order:

-Fear Factory - Demanufacture (Lots of Dino’s tones are high up for me. Digimortal and Bleed The Fifth are up here too.)

-Metallica - Garage Inc. (The Mercyful Fate Medley is God Tier tone from both James and Kirk for me. Blitzkrieg, The Prince, & Stone Cold Crazy too for rhythm.)

-Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes (Like Dino, Jon’s tone of multiple albums is top level for me.)

-King Diamond - Voodoo (Again, many KD albums have guitar tones are love.)

-Soilwork - A Predator’s Portrait

-Ozzy - Bark At The Moon *THE SONG* (Jake’s tone is phenomenal here. The guitar only rip on YT is Marshall perfection.)

-Metallica- Fade To Black ( James’ tone is edgier and sharper here than most of the album.)

-Sylosis- Conclusion Of An Age (Josh Middleton rules.)

-Uli Jon Roth - Speedy’s Coming and Pictured Life off of The Tokyo Tapes (Cast Away Your Chains is up here too.)

-Act Of Defiance - The Birth And The Burial ( Broderick’s tones are outstanding on this album.)

Amp wise:

-Mesa Triaxis/Strategy 500 or 2:90
-Diezel Herbert
-Engl Powerball and Savage

These are both real life and in the Axe FX.

Riffer

WHAT
Reaction score
I could list a ton but if we are talking strictly metal it's gonna be these for me...

Metallica "Black Album"
Lamb of God "Ashes of the Wake"
Meshuggah "Destroy Erase Improve"
Slipknot "Iowa"
Pantera "Far Beyond Driven" (yes I know Dime's tone alone is harsh but it just works)
Decapitated "Nihilty"

Not metal but Nickelbacks tone on this album is crushingly good. I love it.