What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone explain what the difference is between the modern C necks on the Player series versus necks the Fender makes with a rosewood fingerboard? The Robert Cray is described as "chunky C," the Blackmore is apparently (I think) "U," and I'm trying to find a similar neck to the Player series with rosewood fingerboard.

Any suggestions or insight?
Any older mexi or usa standard?

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Any older mexi or usa standard?
Maybe, though I'm not certain the fret quality on those. Buying a used neck with the same basic issue as the one I have isn't something I'm keen on. It has a few frets that are in need of leveling etc. I need to find someone trustworthy enough to do the job, but I felt like in the mean time I could buy a nice neck. Once the current neck gets addressed, I could then buy a body for the one I plan to buy, etc.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe, though I'm not certain the fret quality on those. Buying a used neck with the same basic issue as the one I have isn't something I'm keen on. It has a few frets that are in need of leveling etc. I need to find someone trustworthy enough to do the job, but I felt like in the mean time I could buy a nice neck. Once the current neck gets addressed, I could then buy a body for the one I plan to buy, etc.
I would 100% find a tech instead of neck shopping but I get it haha.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Find a high end guitar store and ask who does the staff guitars.
I looked up some places in the area, which seem to have good reviews, but it seems that they would probably want near the price of what I can buy a Players series neck for (about $300), depending on how long it took on their bench. It would probably end up being around $200-250 easily. If I'm going to spend that amount of money, given the sort of "do not have your fret work done here" posts on here and TGP, I'm not exactly eager to let just anyone do the work.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I looked up some places in the area, which seem to have good reviews, but it seems that they would probably want near the price of what I can buy a Players series neck for (about $300), depending on how long it took on their bench. It would probably end up being around $200-250 easily. If I'm going to spend that amount of money, given the sort of "do not have your fret work done here" posts on here and TGP, I'm not exactly eager to let just anyone do the work.
Speculate or call for a quote because they probably do a few fret levels.

DestroyMankind

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I paid a visit to a local pawn shop today and they had some cool stuff that caught my eye. A Dunlop 95Q wah for $69. I don't have any wah pedals, but I know it seems everyone swears by that. They also had a peavey 112 bandit amp for $279. Not sure if that's a good price or if it's marked up. Those are the two things I'd think about trying to get this weekend. But I have no experience with either. Anyone own or have owned these before?

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's a Jackson Dominion on reverb that I REALLY like. Can't totally afford but curious. What's the neck and general feel/tone on those like? Is it more an LP thick narrow sorta vibe or a bit more Jackson speed profile? I know the Dominion pickups are super mid heavy but are they decent clean or split?

thanks yall I just really like the thing even without a trem and the wonky shape/headstock

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm getting a 6505 mini head. Does it have any revisions?
It sounds fantastic in vids and I'm sure the depth finder in the loop will be just what the Dr ordered for the missing lowend.

Ben Pinkus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm in a really good place gear wise now, and whilst I'm gassing for the usual oooh a new guitar (or 4), that's not super realistic.
May look to get a fuzz pedal or a new OD at somepoint, but I'm not gigging with my pedalboards as often if at all atm, so again no real rush for it.

Screamingdaisy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Death to the cable that follows me around the stage and fucks with my plans.

shure_p3tra215cl_h20_psm_300_stereo_personal_1238285.jpg

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
So after determining that my little MESA / Boogie 1x12 Mini Rectifier cab just isn't enough, I'm on track to buy the first of two Orange PPC412-C (black) cabs next week so I can run them in stereo with my Axe-Fx III and Fryette 2/90/2. The retailer has said that they can contact MESA / Boogie and see when they're getting more oversized 4x12's but I really do want to try the Orange cabs.

1674782277290.png

Trashgreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I totally forgot to tell about my new toys:

I missed out on the first run of the KHDK Ascendancy and LCFR pedals but made it for the second special run. Really like these boost pedals for tonal variation. Works very well with my amp setup. LCFR has most power on tap.

1674790759756.png

I had the Marshall Jackhammer many years ago when they where new.., now its back as an experiment. I wanted to re-visit this pedal and try it as a boost option. Not as much volume output compared to a regular OD808 but the EQ tweeking is quite interesting.

1674790802210.png

In this video I used all 3 pedals, settings is as pictured. Since the Jackhammer has less volume output I used the Protone Gary Holt EQ for more boost and I found the result to be interesting. Used the Marshall JMP-1 as preamp with the gain at 13. When I started recording this music track I lowered the output of the KHDK Ascendancy to compare to the Jackhammer. Then the KHDK LCFR arrived and I decided to used it for the last section of the music track, gain was then raised to 15 on the JMP-1 for the LCFR alone. Results can be heard in the video which has chapters for which is used where..

Last edited: