What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

FractalDivide

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't decided on my next purchase, but it'll be my first seven string! I typically like to purchase something mid-range and then mod myself. My favorite brands tend to be Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson and Charvel because those are the necks that feel the most comfortable to me. Anyone have any recommendations? Also willing to look into other brands.

I currently have an RG320FM, a Dinky JS-32 and a C1-Elite that I've upgraded.

smck96

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been really trying to make sure all of my big purchases fill a need, but my collection is getting to a point where the "need" is kinda bs as im just a bedroom player. I recently got my first bass, an sr505, I'm really enjoying that and if I were to focus on needs my next buy would probably be a 4 string for drop c. If I were to ball out on that I'd probably get one of the new ltd phoenix basses with the fishmans in either tobacco or silver burst, but idk if I want to be spending that much on bass when guitar is still my main. Realistically I'd probably get another SR.

I'd also like a 2nd 7 string so I can have 1 in drop g# and 1 in standard, but that isn't my next priority.
I'd really like an ibanez rga/rgd in either 6 or 7 but again, not priority

I'm really leaning towards the ltd ec1000t ctm in tobacco burst, but those now go for $1.8k cad so it will be my most expensive guitar by $600. I'm not even sure I'll vibe with the fishman classics and may have to swap them but everything I've seen of this guitar looks great, and I really like my arctic metal phoenix so I'm confident in the build quality. I'm also missing something LP shaped so this can fill that hole.

On a smaller scale I think a digitech drop would be a life saver so I dont have to have guitars stuck setup perfectly for 1 tuning. Probably put everything in drop c/d standard so I can go up/down a step and cover pretty much everything I need

NexusMT

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i'm looking for an amp with a clean, crunch and lead channel with modern sounds. Im looking currently at the Engls Ironball SE, Fireball 2 and Savage (my favorite) but at the same time im getting more and more convinced with the Neural DSP QC for the price, sound and convinience. Dunno its a hard call, i mostly play at home its getting harder and harder to justify getting a tube amp nowadays.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking of putting my Mark IV up for trade and seeing if I can find an Engl Savage. LOVE the Mesa, but the Savage is the one that's always gotten away :lol: Ultimately, I think I plan to eventually either move to a Synergy rig or just invest more in my Fractal setup, but there's a few amps I'd just really like to check out first so I won't always be wondering if I was missing out:

• Engl Savage (1 or 2)
• Diezel Hagan
• Revv Generator 120 Mk3

I'd also kinda like to revisit the Fryette Ultralead and the Diezel VH4/2, but I think I'd be fine with the Synergy setup to try those again 🤷‍♂️

I feel like I SHOULD be completely happy with the FM3. It has them all and sounds phenomenal, but the ever falling value of it scares me. With my track record for switching gear, I'm afraid of investing fully into it and then deciding it's not for me in a few years and losing 75% of what I paid for it because it's several generations behind and no one wants it. Amps don't generally depreciate the same :p
I dont think any fractal device has lost 75% except in fire sales lol.

FM3 is current gen, its only going to improve.

But we knew i’d say that :lol:

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
I dont think any fractal device has lost 75% except in fire sales lol.

FM3 is current gen, its only going to improve.

But we knew i’d say that :lol:
Mine's not even a year old yet and I've already lost 30% of what I paid for it. Since the FM9 Turbo came out, I expect they'll also release an FM3 Turbo, which means the value will drop another $100, at least. The original Ultra was what, like $1800-2000 new? You can buy them now for like $500.

True, I'm comparing the new price vs used price and everything depreciates, but modelers just keep going down in value, amps get to a point where they don't generally go down in price, even if a new version is released. Also, with Fractal Gear in the most recent generation, you almost always have to compare new prices, because used are impossible to find for less than a brand new one. The only reason the FM3s are selling for $800 now instead of $1200 is because the 9 came out and instantly killed the value of the 3.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have any experience owning modelers, but from what I observe, they're becoming like smartphones. New versions released all the time will definitely make them depreciate quickly. Newer, faster hardware, sleeker and more convenient software... anything that comes out in incremental versions every other quarter will lose value quickly.

It's good for everyone though, unless you're trying to sell. It's just not something on which to invest or expect your money back. Guitars and amps don't tend to do that. (Unless you are Strandberg, who - with the release of the NX line, and seeing how all previous versions seem to be losing value in the used market - I suspect wants to go in that direction.)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
FM3s are selling for $800 because they arent rare anymore.

A new dual rec costs $3649 before tax (so about 4k). I can get one used for $1400 maybe less. Seems about the same, no?

Jba5150. Almost had a block letter for $450 pre covid too :lol:

rokket2005

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mine's not even a year old yet and I've already lost 30% of what I paid for it. Since the FM9 Turbo came out, I expect they'll also release an FM3 Turbo, which means the value will drop another $100, at least. The original Ultra was what, like $1800-2000 new? You can buy them now for like $500.

True, I'm comparing the new price vs used price and everything depreciates, but modelers just keep going down in value, amps get to a point where they don't generally go down in price, even if a new version is released. Also, with Fractal Gear in the most recent generation, you almost always have to compare new prices, because used are impossible to find for less than a brand new one. The only reason the FM3s are selling for $800 now instead of $1200 is because the 9 came out and instantly killed the value of the 3.
Did you get rid of the fabled 5150 that slew the Herbert? The Mark IV has had a pretty incredible appreciation in value over the last few years. I remember balking when seeing them on RT for like 1100, and now people want 1800+. Might as well just hold on to until it achieves rose tinted C+ status at this point.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score

A new dual rec costs $3649 before tax (so about 4k). I can get one used for $1400 maybe less. Seems about the same, no?

But an Axe-Fx has a 5150 patch!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Now that I think about it, I do have 3 preset on my AX2, so yeah I'm sure there's 3 more for the other channels of each one :lol:

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score

I don't know that that's true. Partially, yes, but that's because the FM9 came out and everyone sold their FM3s to buy them :lol: I had been watching their prices for a while (trying to debate whether it was worth keeping it when I could sell it and get all my money back, then buy one later when the prices went down), they were all at higher than new prices the week before the FM9 was announced, then their price plummeted when there was a mass influx of them on the market because everyone was selling them to get the new one. So, yes, less rare - but heavily due to the fact that Fractal released a new product that cannibalized the previous one's sales.

Also, Multiwatt Rectos were $2k at release. They have held a fairly consistent value around the $1600 for the last 10 years until 2020 happened and the new prices skyrocketted (so, about a 25% depreciation from new, including tax, over a 10 year period, vs 30% in 1 year for the FM3) - but so did used prices. Now, multiwatts are worth about as much used as they originally cost in 2010. You might be able to get a 3 channel for $1400 but I haven't see a multi at that price point in quite a while. You also must not be in the US cause a Dual Recto Multiwatt costs $2800 new in the US now.
Did you get rid of the fabled 5150 that slew the Herbert? The Mark IV has had a pretty incredible appreciation in value over the last few years. I remember balking when seeing them on RT for like 1100, and now people want 1800+. Might as well just hold on to until it achieves rose tinted C+ status at this point.
I did 😭 Sold it after EVH passed for almost 4x what I paid for it. I had a 5150 III at the time and it got more play time because the MV was much better, but I ended up selling that, too. This is the first time in quite a while I haven't had a 5150. I do really want to try the Invective as well, but can't bring myself to pay twice as much as a 6505 for one. Missed out one one a few months ago for $1000; still kicking myself on that one!

Also, that was definitely my original intention. The first tube amp I owned was a Mark IV, I paid $800 for it in 2007. Now the prices are crazy and only seem to be rising. Mostly just afraid it's getting pretty old and is going to need some significant service soon. Can't believe the price of IIC+s now. They were always silly expensive, but I saw one the other day for $8k. Absolutely insane! Also can't believe Blackmachines are worth the price they are now. I had a B2 (I'm pretty sure I bought it off a member here??) that I paid $4k for which I thought was crazy then... Now they're like $15k :shawn:

Last edited:

NickS

Rocket Surgeon
Reaction score
still kind of want a way huge atreides weirding module.
I got one recently. Haven't had much time with it, but it's definitely fun. So far I'm liking it best with single coil and/or lower output pickups. There's so much fuzz going on that higher output pups seem to slam it too hard.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm seeing some fat rats on sale new and quite a few cheap used..I have a rat 2..how's the fat rat compare to it? The fat mode I'd imagine would be cool for my telecaster, not too sure what MOSFET is.
Mosfet is a different type of clipping than the LEDs or silicon typical in RAT's. The fat mode adds a lot of low end that sounds great if you need more low end. Stock, the vintage Rat and Fat Rat are pretty similar.

dspellman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
what are you saving your cash for? what do you plan on getting in the next few weeks/months? guitars, amps, gear...discuss!
I'm pretty well set at this point, though a headless multi scale may be in my future. I'm done adding tube amps, don't see a traditional guitar on my horizon.