What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

gunch

Riff Chugman
Reaction score
Want a new Revstar or D Series Idolmaker

Want an Archon 50 combo or Orange Super Crush combo

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
still kicking myself over not grabbing an e-ii m-1 in candy apple red. Oh well guess i just have to wait and get another aristides :lol:

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
The stock nuts and bridge saddles on these are awful, and I'm a huge Gretsch fan.

Grab the proper GraphTech saddle set and nut, and you should have significantly better stability for like $50.

The import Gretsch stuff are good platforms, the woodwork and fretwork and even pickups are solid, but corners are obviously cut on the bridge, nut, electronic components.

Thanks. Yeah, I stretched the strings and that seems to have settled it quite a bit. It still goes a bit out of tune after a song or two but it's more tolerable. I'll probably swap out the nut and saddles for her when it's time for her first string change. I still feel like a bigsby is a bad choice on a beginners' guitar. I'd have her take it back to the shop and swap it for one with a fixed bridge, but they don't make that model in the same color and she's completely in love with the look of the guitar. I just remember my first guitar when I was a teenager that was a crappy strat copy with a floating bridge that I didn't know how to setup and how frustrating it was to feel like I spent more time tuning my guitar than learning to play it.

gunch

Riff Chugman
Reaction score
Thanks. Yeah, I stretched the strings and that seems to have settled it quite a bit. It still goes a bit out of tune after a song or two but it's more tolerable. I'll probably swap out the nut and saddles for her when it's time for her first string change. I still feel like a bigsby is a bad choice on a beginners' guitar. I'd have her take it back to the shop and swap it for one with a fixed bridge, but they don't make that model in the same color and she's completely in love with the look of the guitar. I just remember my first guitar when I was a teenager that was a crappy strat copy with a floating bridge that I didn't know how to setup and how frustrating it was to feel like I spent more time tuning my guitar than learning to play it.

Bigsby delete, swap the tom out for a wraparound that will fit the studs

Metaldestroyerdennis

Heavens Football Bat
Reaction score
Found a boden standard with duncans on Reverb for dirt cheap so I can finally give one a good long-term try without the GC sales associate hovering nearby

Then the 4th of July sale happened and I now also have another Suhr Modern Terra on the way, hopefully it's as good as I remember because the first one I had is one of only 2 or 3 guitars I've ever regretted selling.

Guitarjon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got my Quad Cortex, here's an unboxing:

I'm working on my first impressions video. I'm going to compare it to my Mesa Rectifier in that video with both the amp models and a capture. Should be fun! Spoiler: loving this thing mostly but it's ot yet perfect.

I also ordered a second LTD Phoenix Black Metal (sold my Ibanez RGIR9FME). I love my first one so much but the Fishman isn't always what I need. So I'm going to put a Duncan JB in it. I never replaced a Fishman with a passive pickup before but it should be easy. Just one volume pot. I ordered a 500k CTS pot, figure it's all I need...

jarledge

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
just picked up a Marshall valvestate 8100 model. On god, it slaps. No cap.
Seriously though, it is actually is a lot better than I thought it might be. I can see why it was used albums and blended in with other amps to fill out a mix.
I just needed to clean it up and put some deoxit in the pots. I'll need to change out one of the pots because one of the shafts broke off but that isn't a big deal.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
One of the few things I REALLY want but have no place to put and have been too lazy to chase down

Cab arrived today. Amazing. I was having regret the whole time afterwards, even if I can resell it, it's a huge pain to arrange. And what are the odds it's really any different to the Bogner with '69/71 pulsonics? But it's way better. Smoother, deeper. Playing notes way up is just pleasant to listen to. Switch over to the Bogner cab and it was immediately brighter/brasher/ more presence and tighter, a bit louder from where I was standing. When I turned the mids down about 40%, treble down by like 70%, presence down by like 30%, I was kind of getting them in the same zone but still the higher notes weren't quite as pleasant. I'll keep trying EQ-wise, but immediate impression was damn, (a) those old cabs, or (b) those straight cabs, or (c) those speakers that may have been wired in better than the hack job I did.

Only probably is it smells like old cab, and it's really filling up my whole living room with it.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cab arrived today. Amazing. I was having regret the whole time afterwards, even if I can resell it, it's a huge pain to arrange. And what are the odds it's really any different to the Bogner with '69/71 pulsonics? But it's way better. Smoother, deeper. Playing notes way up is just pleasant to listen to. Switch over to the Bogner cab and it was immediately brighter/brasher/ more presence and tighter, a bit louder from where I was standing. When I turned the mids down about 40%, treble down by like 70%, presence down by like 30%, I was kind of getting them in the same zone but still the higher notes weren't quite as pleasant. I'll keep trying EQ-wise, but immediate impression was damn, (a) those old cabs, or (b) those straight cabs, or (c) those speakers that may have been wired in better than the hack job I did.

Only probably is it smells like old cab, and it's really filling up my whole living room with it.

Cabs aren't really much different in build, but the speakers and straight vs slant cab definitely makes a difference in what you hear. The straight / slant if you think about it a slant cab is pointing the top two speakers either at your head or at the reflective surface of your ceiling depending on where you are in the room.

I've talked to a bunch of guys that have said there really is a difference with the older vs newer speakers as well. The guy that is Blackmore-obsessed that built the mini Major I have and the hand-wired versions of the Blackmore treble booster and the TP-1011 preamp actually A/B'ed the appropriate Scumbacks and old Celestions and said even the Scumbacks which are the closest out there are substantially different when played side-by-side.

Cool that you found them and are liking them :metal:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Cabs aren't really much different in build, but the speakers and straight vs slant cab definitely makes a difference in what you hear. The straight / slant if you think about it a slant cab is pointing the top two speakers either at your head or at the reflective surface of your ceiling depending on where you are in the room.

I've talked to a bunch of guys that have said there really is a difference with the older vs newer speakers as well. The guy that is Blackmore-obsessed that built the mini Major I have and the hand-wired versions of the Blackmore treble booster and the TP-1011 preamp actually A/B'ed the appropriate Scumbacks and old Celestions and said even the Scumbacks which are the closest out there are substantially different when played side-by-side.

Cool that you found them and are liking them :metal:

Yea, even when I get my head down right in line with the speakers the difference is still really surprising. I guess it could be the cab if the internal baffle is different or the speakers interact differently being on 2 different planes in the angled one.

The speakers though here should be pretty comparable, or, the Bogner has the older ones. I'm just not totally sure what model/cone they all have - the Bogner has all 4 pulsonic cones, two 69s imported from bygonetones, the other two early 70s pulsonics bought in Japan, one with a repair. The Marshall has 4 speakers that look original in the listing, and some had t1211 stamps on the legs, but I haven't opened it up yet to see what the cones are. I guess 73-74 was when they transitioned out of the pulsonics. So it's weird in that I wasn't expecting much difference speaker-wise, and therefore not much difference overall, yet... here we are.

And by good sounding I should clarify that I basically just mean led zeppelin :D

But ya, I had a scumback M75 or something in my old elmwood combo and it wasn't particularly vintage sounding. I always thought the warehouse speakers had some of the closest to my ears (in youtube vids).

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Trying to decide if I get a 5-string bass I've been thinking about getting or a Schecter Solo. Kinda miss owning a Les Paul.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
I should be receiving a large package filled with digitech pedals next week.

Nine of the eu shops seemed to be able to offer a clear availability date on the whammy DT or riccochet and I had both on back order with gear4music.

The stock on whammy V's began dwindling and theh sold 4 overnight. I'm with only two left in stock I panic prderes one which was posted a few days ago.

All of a sudden today the DT and ricochet appear back in stock and I get update on those two orders :lol: