What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I actually have a tightmetal jr. It gets plenty tight but, it has more balls when I boost it with an OD.

I’m going to give the G3, Apex, and Megalith Delta a try when i can (going to try the Megalith first).

So far those are the only 3 that really sound like they don’t need a boost for any reason.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The Delta is one of those pedals I've been super wanting to try, along with the G3 and BE-OD Deluxe.

This sold me on it. If I wasn't so dead-set on the Helix right now, I'd grab one.

ATRguitar91 likes this.
  3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Drink Sunny D, pet kitties.

the delta is a sick pedal, I got one a week ago and it gets some massive tones.

4. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

They don't get a lot of press, but for you pedal pream lovers the Two notes pedals are really good. One of my buddies is friends with someone in the company and I could try all of them. Very high build quality, and you can build a whole ecosystem with the C.A.B pedal to go direct. I don't know if they do a pedal power amp though, donn't think so.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

I was possibly going to check them out in the future, because I'm a preamp whore and like checking ot new stuff. The LeLead seemed like a cool take on the Recto sound.

But @USMarine75 made it sound like it was a glorified metal zone. :lol:

ATRguitar91 likes this.
  6. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

@kindsage I've been really intrigued by the Megalith Delta, but it seems like they're hard to come by. I also think it might be redundant tonewise with the Tight Metal Pro.

In regards to the Apex, I think it's just a slightly modified MXR 5150 which didn't impress me. Unless you're just really into the direct out option.

7. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Well they are still in production so you can still get them, even if you have to wait a little I think.
    And it sounds pretty different compared to the TM in most clips I've heard. If it does end up just sounding like my TM I'll be disappointed.

As for the Apex, I really doubt that its just a modded MXR 5150 pedal.
    The 5150 pedal is based of the EVH 5153 and was designed to go in front of a clean channel.
    Misha tends to go for modded 6505 tones plus the Apex is marketed as a preamp not a distortion. Plus it has a built in boost.

8. ATRguitar91

@kindsage I could be mistaken but the MXR pedal has a built in boost, just not footswitch for it. I was assuming based on the appearance of the pedal and the clips I've heard that they're at least pretty similar.

And while the MXR 5150 is advertised as a distortion pedal, in a lot of the demos it's used as a preamp. I think that's how Ola ran it.

That said, it seems like you can get good tones out of it and adding a gate and DI functionality, plus a little bit of EQ/gain tweaking special sauce from Misha probably makes it a great pedal.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Actually it's advertised as an overdrive pedal...

10. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I stand corrected. Still different than a preamp though

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Contributor

I HATED the Le Lead. Couldn't get rid of it fast enough. Totally digital sounding no warmth, character, or dynamics at all. The blend was a gimmick at best and sounded like garbage IMO. But again, to each his own. I'm sure someone loves it! Just not this guy.

The Megalith pedals don't pop up that often... but I was able to find one used for around 190 shipped IIRC. You can always purchase direct from MI Audio I think they even had free shipping or discounts or something last time during Christmas. I remember the amps had ridiculous deals that included shipping last Christmas and I regret not buying a Delta or Beta when I had the cash.

As far as redundancy... I'd say they're similar but not same. The TM Pro has much more distortion range from medium to high/extreme gain, since the Delta is just high to extreme gain. But, the Delta has a far wider tone palate in the sense that it doesn't just do the boosted 5150 tone, it has wide ranging settings that go from Diezel to Mesa to 5150/Marshall range. Basically the Delta has 3 totally different voices and then you tweak settings/EQ from there. Plus it has a contour switch that allows you to also change the voice from modern mid boosted with rolled off lows to scooped mids and thicker bottom, which you then additionally EQ from there to taste.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    ATRguitar91 likes this.
  12. Soya

Soya Poor person

I would add the Empress Heavy to that list, you can dial in the bass control to keep it tight and then use the weight knob to add resonance back in to keep it from sounding thin.

ATRguitar91 likes this.
  13. ATRguitar91

Welp, y'all talked me into it, I just placed an order for a Megalith Delta. There was one at Guitar Center for $120 which was a lot less than I'd seen elsewhere.

My GAS for a G3 will likely persist, but hopefully they come down in price as the G4 hits the market.

USMarine75 likes this.
  14. GatherTheArsenal

GatherTheArsenal SF2 > Everything

My next guitar purchase was supposed to happen in January but it just happened, put my order in for an Agile 7-string (which I guess is pretty standard fare on here) but i'm excited!

Edit - I know i'm late to the party with Agile's but after reading so much about them since like 2012 when I first saw one it really seems like a solid buy, decided to finally get one since i'm not looking to buy anything super expensive anytime soon.

LeviathanKiller likes this.
  15. gunch

gunch chungus

1. I want to try Evertune
    2. I don't want something with a carve top so that rules out like 99% of the LTD/E-II models with ET

I wish Ibanez would make a ding dang RG evertune

16. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Just ordered a set of Classic Tone iron for El Jefe since I am almost done with The Old One and am tired of Heyboer blowing smoke up my ass about when my transformer set from them will actually ship. The Heyboer set was supposed to ship at the end of November and every time I ask them it is always shipping next week...

I'll use the Heyboer iron on the Suhr SE100 clone I plan to build at some point or on a Jose mod, whichever I do after El Jefe (assuming it ships by then :lol:)

17. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Contact EverTune themselves and if they can get the model you choose from one of their distributors with a dealer discount, they'll install it and only charge you for the EverTune bridge itself at $300 plus shipping.

18. AirForbes1

AirForbes1 SS.org Regular

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

So I'm finally gonna shut up about the Helix.

Because I finally caved. :lol:

Got a Helix floor w/ screen protectors and the backpack for a really really decent price. The journey is over. :rofl:

20. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Atta boy! Make sure you use the most obnoxious LED colours for your footswitches. My main snapshot is hot pink.