What is your favorite combo for active neck/bridge humbucker pickups? Looking for recommendations

lazarusieben

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi there! I am kinda new to this active pickups thing. So far I am happy with the ones I got for my 6 string CGCFAD guitar (EMG 81&85). I've seen there is also a 7 string version but I think I want something different for my 7 string.
What I play is heavy chugging riffs on my bridge pickup, sort of like Rammstein, Feared, Eisbrecher, Zonaria. So, that industrial/death metal punchy palm muting and meaty open sound where you can hear the definition of each string, specially the 6th or 7th for 1 string djent-like riffs is a must for me.
For the neck pickup I like to play sharp crunchy solos and jazzy clean tone chords where distortion and clean entwine just smoothly, so I would LOVE to have a sweet tone there, so I'm not really into shredding.
I don't know if that's too much to ask, but do you guys have some recommendations?

Zhysick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would go 60 or 60A if you want a sweeter top end for the neck. 85 for the bridge... (yeah 60-7 and 85-7...)

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
7 string set I'd say either the EMG 57/66 7 string or the Fishman Fluence Classic 7 string set. OR the EMG Retroactive Super77 7 string set.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
85x in the bridge is j my y favorite. I actually play a lot of what you described and it’s helped me get there.

It’s got a massive bottom end, and is more mid heavy, but it’s all tamed a little by the “x” designation. I love em. Wall of sound pickups

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
It's definitely not too much to ask, but has more to do with your amp than the pickups. Most any pickup set where you have a hot bridge with some mids, and a slightly darker neck pickup will do that.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
for 7 string stuff Fishman Fluence moderns or the Tosin abasi set. To me Fishman's just sound better in 7 strings than EMG's.

If you prefer to stay EMG the Super77-7 set is quite cool.

Flappydoodle

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Since you said "djent" then you probably want Fishman moderns

If you want a thicker sound, EMG 57 in the bridge.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. The D-word implies the choice is automatically Fishman Fluecnes. They will give you the cocked wah tone you're looking for.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I couldn't be happier with an EMG 707 set, they're my favorite pickup but I'm also an Alnico guy, definitely prefer them over the colder metallic tone of Ceramic pickups.