What game are you playing?

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm hoping this'll be my first game that actually feels like a next-gen game (though it is technically cross-gen).
I waited this long because I wanted to play it on a system that'll do it justice, also I guess a lot of the initial bugs have been fixed.

Got any tips on games where RT is utilized more?

Spider-Man Miles Morales and Spider-Man remastered look very good and use ray tracing.

Also Metro Exodus, and Control Ultimate Edition.

They're all cross-gen, though... sadly there's not a lot of current-gen games.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Spider-Man Miles Morales and Spider-Man remastered look very good and use ray tracing.

Also Metro Exodus, and Control Ultimate Edition.

They're all cross-gen, though... sadly there's not a lot of current-gen games.

Aren't those Spider-Man games Playstation exclusives though? I'm running Xbox so no luck with those.

Control is definitely one I wanna play at some point, since the developer is from Finland and their track record is almost flawless. Really looking forward to Alan Wake 2, the atmosphere in the first one was just epic and then adding all the new technological advancements to that should result in something pretty awesome.

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Aren't those Spider-Man games Playstation exclusives though? I'm running Xbox so no luck with those.

Control is definitely one I wanna play at some point, since the developer is from Finland and their track record is almost flawless. Really looking forward to Alan Wake 2, the atmosphere in the first one was just epic and then adding all the new technological advancements to that should result in something pretty awesome.
Oh… I think the Spider-Man games are now available on PC, but I don’t think you can play those on XBox.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Oh… I think the Spider-Man games are now available on PC, but I don’t think you can play those on XBox.

Yeah, I play on Xbox exclusively, so no luck with that. They look awesome based on what I've seen, so I would've wanted those otherwise. Oh well, just gotta wait for the actual next-gen games to start coming out, I guess. And some games are still getting next-gen updates too, like Witcher 3.

Oh yeah, I gave Cyberpunk a quick spin yesterday - seems great so far! I even liked the tutorial part, it reminded me of Metal Gear Solid VR Training which was a lot of fun back in the day. Character creation took most of my playtime though :lol: Still didn't manage to make V look like me :lol:

Last edited:

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got burned out and abandoned GoW Ragnarok for a while. I'll get back to it eventually.

I bought TLoU Part I on sale and just finished it. I love the game and played it many many times on PS3 and PS4, so I don't care buying it again but if you already own it... it's not really necessary to buy it again.

Except for a few minimal differences I noticed in some encounters it's the exact same game: TLoU 2013 running on TLoU Part II's engine. The QoL improvements are not drastic (except for the accessibility options, those are good), and gameplay is the same.

It obviously looks better, and the facial animations are top notch: you can really see Ashley Johnson's expression on Ellie's face (the part were Ellie plays an imaginary videogame comes to mind). The clickers and bloaters look AWESOME - lots of detail- and everything looks great. It's a Naughty Dog game after all.

Oh, and for some reason Sarah and young Joel look like Pixar characters, that was funny.

The excuse they gave to remake this was that "the remake would allow Part I and Part II to be played sequentially with no technological or visual discrepencies" and that's alright, but weirdly enough I think it looks even better than Part II... even if marginally.

Anyways, great game. And I finally could get the plat, it's an easy one this time.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, these Berserkers are no fucking joke, I'm getting my teeth kicked in on them. Apparently I'm only level 5 which feels weird considering I managed to finished the mission with Gorm/Grom. My axe is at level 5 as well, blades still at level 4 - do the upgrades for those ever get quicker, it's painfully slow at this rate; or maybe it's because I've got them both so I have to choose between the two instead of focusing on one?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Apparently I'm only level 5 which feels weird considering I managed to finished the mission with Gorm/Grom. My axe is at level 5 as wel
This sounds right to me. I think I'm in about the same part of the game, and about the same level - and I've been doing most of the side-quest stuff as I go along.

Quiet Coil

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Finished up Lego Skywalker Saga - was a lot more satisfying than my initial impressions led me to believe it would be.

Finally getting going on Ghost of Tsushima - overall I feel like I prefer the fantastical elements of something like Onimusha, but the little details in GoT are pretty great. Definitely feels like inFamous in feudal Japan, for better or worse.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Persona 5 Royal, basically finished palace 3 with a week left so just trying to get whatever confidants I haven't gotten yet and work on social stats until the story for palace 4 begins.

Also, ordered a few games on sale for Black Friday. Grabbed Atari 50 because I've heard only amazing things about it, Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection, and bought a copy of Witcher 3 again now that the PS5 update is like 2 weeks away.

Aaaaand my son is still obsessed with Goat Simulator 3. At least until the new Need For Speed comes out.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Jesus Christ, these Berserkers are no fucking joke, I'm getting my teeth kicked in on them. Apparently I'm only level 5 which feels weird considering I managed to finished the mission with Gorm/Grom. My axe is at level 5 as well, blades still at level 4 - do the upgrades for those ever get quicker, it's painfully slow at this rate; or maybe it's because I've got them both so I have to choose between the two instead of focusing on one?

The blade and axe upgrades mostly come from the main story, I think a couple are from sidequests collections like the draugr holes.

The berserkers are tuned higher than the valkyries in the previous game. DO NOT try to do them all at level 5. A couple are doable. But two of them in particular kicked my ass repeatedly, ON STORY DIFFICULTY, even with my weapons both at level 9 and my armor/shield at 8 (the trio with one regular berserker and two goddam mages all at once, and the fucking asshole mage that teleports everywhere and everything puts bifrost on you which kills you incredibly quickly even on story difficulty).

I’m working on the last guy now. He’s a lot easier than the trio but his health bar is really, really long and his phase where he behaves identically to the aforementioned bifrost teleporting mage kills me every time.

I have most of the sidequests and collectibles done, muspelheim and finding the artifacts in Midgard are all I have left besides this berserker king asshole, I think. I haven’t read a trophy guide so I don’t know if there’s some secret questline I’ve missed or something.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Holy shit, then that explains a lot as you don't access the Valkyries until midway thru GOW, and even then they ramp up in difficulty whereas these are all seemingly the same level of BS. I tried 3 different ones, Svartalfheim/Midgard/one other one and they all handed me my ass in the same manner.

I've been using the blades more now that they're upgraded, not bad but there's still a lack of weight to them compared to the axe; got both my runic attacks up to lvl 3 and they both do HIGH AOE damage combined.

Also rocking the Muspelheim set of armor after unlocking it, just a lateral move from the Blinding Light set I had before; amulet is equipped with Midgard/Niflheim sets.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The berserkers definitely have a wide range of difficulty. I did a couple of the easy ones first at like level 5 just by getting lucky, then hit the lightning aoe jerk who seemed impossible even on story and just stopped trying them till post game. Some of them were very easy at level 8, like the lightning guy, but some were incredibly nasty still. I have been using the radiant belt/gloves for phase shift and the chest that does poison damage if you’re unarmed, all at level 8 or 9. I need to figure out better amulet setup, it’s pretty haphazard right now.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Took down Heimdall, figured out the mechanic pretty quickly, but the lack of a companion meant I couldn't use a resurrection stone so Ph. 1 I took him down in two tries, and Ph. 2 took three total, so not too bad honestly. Fight reminded me a lot of the Apollo/Hermes fights from GOW3, just really cocky shits you can't wait to kill.

Now I'm exploring the Vanaheim crater, this thing is fucking massive, like wow. I closed one of the rifts that had two of the big Bergsra monsters on them (fire breathers) one lvl 7 and the other lvl 8; felt good taking them down on the third try, had to be smart with my maneuvering around the arena, and when to use runic/ranged attacks.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Hoo boy, took down some more baddies in the Vanaheim Crater. The three dreki, one tracked by the glowing spit and another two in a single fight at their feeding spot. Then a Frost Phantom that was two levels above myself, and had five pillars to destroy instead of three + the dragon attacking with fire from it's perch during the whole fight.

Lastly, another Druagr hole closed, and it was ALSO two levels above me, and y'all know how much of a difference that can make on challenges like those. Felt pretty fucking good only doing three attempts on it knowing that though.

Trying to find the Soul Eater in the main part, and then I really should move on to saving Birgir, but it's not like he'll actually die before I get to him.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, beat the berserker king first try when using a block shield (that rectangular one) and the armor that increase your melee damage after blocking, and then beat the super secret final-Er boss after him first try using the same build, after failing spectacularly on the first attempt with my old standard poison/parry build. So yeah, the fights seemed to take a long time, but survivability was SO much higher that it was trivialized. I probably could have turned up the difficulty a few notches and still beaten them more easily than on story difficulty with a dodge/parry build. Ah well. Got the platinum, now have one final collection quest (a really stupid wild goose chase where you get no clues whatsoever about where the items you’re looking for are in each realm), and then I’ll be done with the game. Overall very good, solid plot, etc. definitely better than the first game imo, and that one was already very good.

So far my 2022 games I’ve played rankings are like Elden Ring >>> this >>>> HOrizon Forbidden West >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Far Cry 6. Probably like 9.5/10 flawed but one of my favorite games ever, 9/10 really good but no replay value currently, 7.5/10 terrible plot but great gameplay, 3/10 very bad game with decent gameplay for reviews.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Finished it about an hour ago, will post my final thoughts when I get home from the gym.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Thoughts after wrapping up last night:

Overall, I did enjoy it, but there were some parts that I thought were just OK. The final battle for Asgard seemed pretty tame by the time you get to it despite uniting Hel, Light/Dark Elves, etc. I'm not sure if that was technical limitations or what, but they cut it down pretty quickly to just the God Squad by destroying the towers, leaving the last one the Jorgmundr 2.0 that I was correct in predicting; although that itself is confusing, as that snake goes from a standard python looking snake to a giant serpent, but somehow they say it's the same Jorgmundr that's in Midgard and recognizes Loki/Atreus despite never seeing him get sent back in time by Thor?

I know Gabito mentioned it, but all the fate/destiny stuff did seem messy as they constantly say they're writing their own but end up doing exactly what the prophecy says up until the very last moment so it's like, WERE they writing their own or was the prophecy wrong? Loki doesn't end up serving Odin like the mural said, and Kratos is alive, so where was the diverging point between the two?

I knew Brok would end up dying once Sindri tells you the story of him missing the last piece of the soul (Mimir mentions it again in the endgame portion, but I don't know if they say WHICH piece he's missing), so that coupled with his anger at the Lady of the Forge, it only made sense to send him off. Still didn't feel good to see happen though.

I think the way the villains were written/interacted made perfect sense, Thor being the sympathetic parallel to Kratos and him NOT getting to atone for what he's done by Odin killing him; Odin outright saying he'll never stop in his quest for knowledge, as that's his whole deal. Sif was the only one who I don't recall if she had a side, she was constantly against Loki but I'm not sure if it was just misplaced anger and we don't hear the parts when it was really at Odin, like at the end of the game.

Between the two, right now after finishing this one, I feel like the smaller scope of 2018's reboot/continuation works better with just Balder as the big bad, this one rightfully expands on it in scale but there were parts where I just felt like, "do I really need to be playing this little bit right now?" (AKA Atreus) One day there'll be a companion mission that doesn't feel like a lesser version of the main game. No major changes to the axe/blade runic attacks, just the addition of the Draupnir Spear which I really never used even thought I upgraded it to almost max level (seriously, the crater is a highway to maxing it). Leveling felt like it was much slower than 2018 as well, I ended the game at like, 7.5 whereas I think I finished the previous one a full level higher or maybe even 9? Can't recall after how many times I've played it honestly.

Now I'm cleaning up for trophies etc, taking care of everything I didn't on this first pass, seeing how much I can get and maybe snag the platinum since I did for 2018. I think the Muspelheim trials are going to be the biggest hurdle at this point. The King of the Hill one killed me last time, not quite sure why I biffed it so badly, but maybe I was just out of practice for the playstyle they require. I took down two different Berserkers as well - one in Svartalfheim by the mine entrance who required solid parrying skills (changed my shield rond for increased parry window and I think I found the timing) and another one that I forget. I almost had the lightning dude killed but that fucker gets ONE solid reversal on you with his unblockable lightning attack and it can change the course of the fight.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I feel like I'm playing GoWR really slowly - I kept hearing there's a [something something] that happens "15 hours in" but it took me 30 hours to get there, and so I have no idea how much left there is to go.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I feel like I'm playing GoWR really slowly - I kept hearing there's a [something something] that happens "15 hours in" but it took me 30 hours to get there, and so I have no idea how much left there is to go.
Depends on what you're doing. If you're dying repeatedly to things then you're probably actually only halfway through. If you were doing all the side content then you're probably going to end up finishing it in about the right time. Seems like the game with all side content is ~40 hours long, but the side content can all be skipped till after the main story. I did it as soon as it was available (and frequently hit metroidvania style roadblocks) so I did it very inefficiently and think I beat the main story around 35 hours and finished all side content around 40 hours. If I'd focused on the story I think it probably would have been more like 20 hours for the story and 35 total.