What game are you playing?

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
GoW-

I’m not going to discuss the outcome of the spoiler as it’ll give too much away and the spoiler itself is obviously coming at some point in the game.

Just fought Heimdall and that took a bit of patience in figuring out how to do it. Big story arc change here, but man, when you finally get a hit on the guy it‘s remarkably satisfying because he’s such a fucking prick. Don’t take this as a declaration of a win or a loss. You’ll find out on your own.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
More GOW from myself as well

Got up through Atreus in Asgard AKA Adventures in Babysitting, then I diverter with Kratos and Freya to go the other Hafgufa in Alfheim so that questline should be totally done. Not sure how I felt about the Phantom, seems pretty easy as you just wittle it down and attack the pillars but it's definitely a new encounter.

Still no heavy runic attack for the axe, I figured surely once I finished Vanaheim I'd have one but I guess not. Or if I was supposed to then I missed it.

I feel like killing the Nidogg is going to get me in trouble with Ratataskr (the squirrel) but we'll find out. I'm also putting predictions that the snake you put the giant into becomes another world serpent to replace Jorgmundr after his fight with Thor during Ragnarok. I also though Thor would come back to the Shrine in Muspelheim as Angrboda walked out and realize another giant still lived, but was fine with being wrong.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Going through GOW:Ragnarok and hitting some brickwalls. First I fought a couple berserkers that were incredibly hard but I managed to kill. Then I summoned this asshole that spammed aoe lightning that seemed to be undodgeable and would stun you until you mashed circle for a while, at which point he'd run up and like 2 shot you. I couldn't even dent the guy on STORY difficulty. Then I looked up what health bar colors mean, and I guess I was supposed to be a higher level to fight him! He had a purple health bar which apparently means "tuned for 3 levels higher than you." It seems most people haven't hit this guy yet - I did find one topic about him which has people losing their minds over how "op" he is. Guess he's the worst of the berserkers!

Then, I went exploring and found another berserker encounter, this one with TWO of them, both with red skull health bars, and they were even more impossible.

Then I checked out Muspelheim, did the first 6 challenges, and then got to one called "Survive" where you had to kill 99 enemies. However, the wimpy enemies in the first wave of five of them killed me in 3 hits ON STORY DIFFICULTY. Jesus christ. This game needs way better explanations of level requirements. The previous batch of challenges were all pretty easy except for the "don't get hit" one on medium difficulty, and this seemed completely impossible on story difficulty despite seeming to be the next step of the quest.

Anyway my axe is only at level 4 so I guess I must have a lot of story left. But, what I like is exploring the big zones and clearing out collectibles. Guess I have ubisoft brain. The locked gates ala Metroidvania are pretty annoying, especially when there's absolutely no hint as to how to reach regions of the map (ex the stuff past Freyr's camp). I thought I had all the abilities and thus could go anywhere after getting
the spear
, but apparently there's some other junk yet to get to do things like wake up statues, plus the regions locked behind story progress. I mainly just don't want
to have to do all the endgame stuff with Atreus cause I don't like him as much as Freya
. But, I haven't read any spoilers so maybe that's not a concern.

Anyway, I discovered how to properly use one piece of armor I have - if you go unarmed, you do radically more damage than with ANY weapon - both your unarmed strikes do more damage and they also put poison on the target which does a ton of damage. It's OP as hell. I mean, it still won't work if you're fighting stuff a few levels too high for you, but it's seriously like the great equalizer when it comes to just about everything besides the annoying enemies like the phantoms where you can't do damage in regular ways. I won't be surprised if they nerf it.

My Kratos is ALMOST to level 7 on the character sheet, but yeah, axe is still at level 4 so I think I have a ways to go in the story.

My number one problem with this game is the health bar. Seriously, what's the point of not refilling your health after every encounter? It just wastes your time. You know if you walk into a boss room with 1/4 health that you're probably completely screwed, so then you get killed, and then you pop back up with full health right before the boss so it's barely a punishment. Why not just start you with full health instead of wasting your time on that first doomed attempt???

pahulkster

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Only have two optional boss fights and some of the Muspelheim challenges left on GoW. Doubt I'll finish them but great game overall. Played through on whatever the middle normal difficulty is and it was a good balance overall. Definitely could have beaten it on the next one up. After finishing the story I watched some gameplay videos of people playing on the hardest setting and have zero interest in ever trying that. I hate damage sponge enemies and situations where a grunt can kill you in three hits.

The bosses I have left are harder than anything in Elden Ring for me which is a little ridiculous. Mainly because the dodge is still janky for me after playing like 55 hours. I'm at level 9 with a few different setups I can use for different play styles and can't get more than 75% on either. It's doable but I just don't want to sink the time and frustration into it. I know it's not relevant but if you consider how crazy Kratos is after doing everything in all the games you really should be a god level power against anything.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Absolutely, God of War: Ragnarok's difficulty on regular with the nastier optional bosses and combat trials is much higher than Elden Ring's (if you're in any way acclimated to soulsborne games - I know there are people that are good at Bayonetta or whatever that jump into Elden Ring trying to take out an entire camp at once and try to roll through everything while spamming attack like they're Dante and just get annihilated immediately in the first area). The combat in GOW is much more complex and defensive options are a lot tighter to have to time and think about than "ye olde rolling iframes through almost anything." I think the huge lack of any punishment for dying, though, leads many to think it's much easier since they can just hurl themselves at bosses over and over again without any risk of losing souls or having to do a boss runback or whatever. Not to mention the game puts checkpoints at phase changes in bosses, which makes things way, WAY easier!!

Basically I think people that complain about Dark Souls difficulty are mainly people that would normally be playing these kinds of games on easy. But the fact story difficulty exists means probably not many people are going to complain about the difficulty here unless they're an idiot like me who tries to fight the hardest bosses in the game when they're nowhere close to fully levelled.

I think also those sorts of hand-holding sections in GOW like all the QTEs and the way the platforming is as big of a joke as in Tomb Raider or Horizon Zero Dawn (just look for icons on the walls, no possibility whatsoever of falling to your death) make it seem like an easier game. But the actual combat can be really nasty.

Got my character up to level 7, mostly through exploring
all the "new" regions of Vanheim, I reallllly don't like that now on top of the metroidvania abilities we have a night/day mechanic with different areas being only accessible in day or night,
and the map is woefully inadequate for noting anything like that on the map. Makes exploration very hard to do systematically unless you have a really great memory. I'm going for the platinum with this and think I'll probably end up having to resort to guides for some areas, especially that maze-like mine
where you rescue Tyr
and there are huge puzzle rooms. It takes forever to get to-and-fro in that level and not knowing exactly where you should be looking for one raven or whatever is very frustrating.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
GoW-

I’m not going to discuss the outcome of the spoiler as it’ll give too much away and the spoiler itself is obviously coming at some point in the game.

Just fought Heimdall and that took a bit of patience in figuring out how to do it. Big story arc change here, but man, when you finally get a hit on the guy it‘s remarkably satisfying because he’s such a fucking prick. Don’t take this as a declaration of a win or a loss. You’ll find out on your own.
I was kind of shocked by how easy that fight was. After beating him I had to double-check that I didn't have it on story difficulty (nope, had it on the middle setting, balance). I figured out the gimmick in about 10 seconds and it mostly stopped even being a gimmick after the first phase or two!* It's weird how easy they made the story bosses relative to the non-story bosses, but I guess it kind of makes sense - that way ANYONE can beat the main story but will still actually have a bit of challenge on some of the optional content.

The funny thing is the random enemies that are stronger than the story bosses. I guess I don't know if they're mandatory or only put in side exploration areas. I'm talking like, for example, those guys that teleport in with a HUGE sword that have a big honking shield on their back so you can only hit them from the front, and have a ton of health.

I THINK it was like, you had to hit him with the spear explosion once, but then you could just run and him and hit him with any old thing for a bit, then you'd have to do the spear explosion again to turn off his evasion abilities, etc. I don't know if all the spear explosions were really necessary after the first one, but the whole fight sure was a pattern of "hit with spear explosion, beat him up for a couple health bar segments, hit with spear explosion, etc for the whole fight for me! And I was actually able to dodge all his attacks without much problem so my realm shift armor and enchants sure made things even easier.

pahulkster

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I realized after about forty hours that the compass doesn't operate on a fixed point like Skyrim lol. I just thought it was a pos or completely broken. Made navigating some regions (Vanaheim especially) a lot easier.

I'm not particularly good at Elden Ring at all. I cleared it three times but always used summons. Couldn't beat the final boss of Dark Souls 3 and that is the only other soulsborne game I've played. The biggest issue starting God Of War was not using circle to dodge/roll. Elden Ring was the last game I sunk major hours into and that button push was burned into my brain. I ate shit so many times the first day or two.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I finally bought Cyberpunk 2077 today. Found it on sale for 16€, so now looking forward to playing it and especially looking forward to seeing ray tracing etc in action.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I realized after about forty hours that the compass doesn't operate on a fixed point like Skyrim lol. I just thought it was a pos or completely broken. Made navigating some regions (Vanaheim especially) a lot easier.

I'm not particularly good at Elden Ring at all. I cleared it three times but always used summons. Couldn't beat the final boss of Dark Souls 3 and that is the only other soulsborne game I've played. The biggest issue starting God Of War was not using circle to dodge/roll. Elden Ring was the last game I sunk major hours into and that button push was burned into my brain. I ate shit so many times the first day or two.

Yeah, I realized that eventually. It is really overpowered if you have a marker in an area you have no idea how to get to, since it will walk you through whatever convoluted nonsensical path you need to take to get to it (I used it to great effect on some ledge I couldn’t figure out how to get to in the crater.) only problem with it is the map is mostly blank and you can’t set a map marker as far as I can tell.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finished the story of GOW Ragnarok last night. It’s a good story! I just don’t like all the Atreus detours. He’s an actually likable character this time, though. The game in general is remarkably wholesome in tone and themes and it’s very much the Mr Rogers of super violent AAA games.

Boss checkpoints really are making me rethink comments on difficulty. You kinda can just brute force your way through most bosses by kamikazeeing them until their health gets low enough for a cutscene, then you die and get started over from the cutscene with full health. Like, free full health heals on every phase change basically. That said I didn’t die at all on any version of the last boss.

The second-to-final boss, though, was SO fast and ridiculous with the aoe spam that I limped through that fight with a few deaths. Good for all the checkpoints making it trivial, I guess!!

So yeah, got through all the story stuff on medium difficulty without much problem (except for one late duo of bosses that I tried to turn the difficulty to medium, annihilated them, then realized it had been on story - I need to do that fight over again cause it seemed like it might have been really hard on regular. I don’t think there’s any way to fight bosses again short of starting a full new game though) but have definitely had to crank it down on the optional stuff a few times. Going to try and do all the optional stuff remaining when I get a chance, but probably won’t get much gaming time this weekend cause holidays and families. Blech!! :)

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
I bought the "first" GOW for the PS4 about four years ago. I found it difficult, even on the easiest difficulty...I suck at video games. Great soundtrack as you'd expect from GOW games. I can't say that I enjoyed the story as much as the PS2/PS3 games though. The over-the-shoulder view makes me a little nauseous at times. Despite that, I remember enjoying it.

In the early 2000s, I found the Spyro the Dragon demo on my Crash Bandicoot Warped disc. In 2012, I bought the first three Spyro games from the PSN store. In 2022, I am finally getting around to playing them! I am about to have another crack at Gnasty Gnorc. I am thoroughly enjoying this game. Sometimes, I want to play something that isn't gritty.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The over-the-shoulder view on GOW Ragnarok is mainly a problem cause the camera is zoomed in way too tight for what the game wants you to react to. Like, the last bosses put "danger zones" all over the place on the floor randomly but due to the camera being zoomed so far in and not able to be changed, you can't see if you're even standing on one cause you can't see your character below the knees (and thus none of the ground anywhere close to you) So the only way you can be guaranteed to not get hit is to run forward to the closest safe zone you can see and just assume that you're standing in a danger zone, even if you're not. Terrible camera when you consider some of the encounter design.

Another thing that's required, but is at least changeable, is you need to jack the camera speed WAY up on the last few bosses, since every time they jump around the room it breaks lock-on and you have to manually turn around to see them before they nail you in the next second (ala Twin Princes from DS3). The default camera rotation speed is very, very slow.

EDIT: Speaking of God of War, I'm kind of curious about the originals. From what I can tell, it appears that 1/2 were last released for PS3, which is not an option obviously (it seems VERY strange that they haven't been ported to PS4 considering it's one of their biggest franchises, but they haven't, only 3). I do have a PS2. Are the remasters a huge improvement, or would playing them on PS2 be fine? Has anyone played them in the last several years?

I do have a disc of the first one for PS2 that I inherited from my brother so I guess I could just try. RCA inputs and all!

Last edited:

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
EDIT: Speaking of God of War, I'm kind of curious about the originals. From what I can tell, it appears that 1/2 were last released for PS3, which is not an option obviously (it seems VERY strange that they haven't been ported to PS4 considering it's one of their biggest franchises, but they haven't, only 3). I do have a PS2. Are the remasters a huge improvement, or would playing them on PS2 be fine? Has anyone played them in the last several years?

The remasters only look prettier and sharper (especially GoW II). They also have trophies.

On PS3 you'll find the remasters of GoW I / II and also remasters of Ghost of Sparta + Chains of Olympus, which are originally PSP games but very good for GoW standards (like shorter versions of the PS2 games). Also GoW III and GoW Ascension (which is good!), obviously. None of them is very good story-wise, but they're entertaining. GoW I can be punishing sometimes.

As it happens with GoW 2018 and GoW 2022, they are (more or less) all slightly different or improved versions of almost the same game. Square square triangle is your friend.

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I finally bought Cyberpunk 2077 today. Found it on sale for 16€, so now looking forward to playing it and especially looking forward to seeing ray tracing etc in action.

I think they used RT for the shadows only (like in GTA V PS5's version...). They look nice and sharp, but they're... shadows. I like it better when they use that kind of technology for reflections.

It's a nice looking game nonetheless.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The remasters only look prettier and sharper (especially GoW II). They also have trophies.

On PS3 you'll find the remasters of GoW I / II and also remasters of Ghost of Sparta + Chains of Olympus, which are originally PSP games but very good for GoW standards (like shorter versions of the PS2 games). Also GoW III and GoW Ascension (which is good!), obviously. None of them is very good story-wise, but they're entertaining. GoW I can be punishing sometimes.

As it happens with GoW 2018 and GoW 2022, they are (more or less) all slightly different or improved versions of almost the same game. Square square triangle is your friend.
If I had a PS3, I'd be all over them for the trophies aspect, not to mention HDMI. But, I don't, and sony has never worked out how to run PS3 games on PS4, and I'm not paying for their crummy game streaming service, so PS2 it is!

I played GOW3 for like, 45 minutes and was shocked by how hard it was compared to GoW 2018, not to mention button mashy. It was basically a devil may cry game, only even more edgelordy. I assume the first two are going to be similar. But, I'm kinda curious. I think I'll start with 1 instead of immediately buying 2 cause from what I've heard about those games they might just turn me off completely with their edgelord bullshit (ex the infamous aphrodite sequence).

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I had a PS3, I'd be all over them for the trophies aspect, not to mention HDMI. But, I don't, and sony has never worked out how to run PS3 games on PS4, and I'm not paying for their crummy game streaming service, so PS2 it is!

I played GOW3 for like, 45 minutes and was shocked by how hard it was compared to GoW 2018, not to mention button mashy. It was basically a devil may cry game, only even more edgelordy. I assume the first two are going to be similar. But, I'm kinda curious. I think I'll start with 1 instead of immediately buying 2 cause from what I've heard about those games they might just turn me off completely with their edgelord bullshit (ex the infamous aphrodite sequence).

They're... violent. And spectacular for the time. Some of the bosses are big. REAAAALLY BIG.

Also misogynistic to a certain extent, but Kratos is incredibly violent towards everyone (if that's an excuse...). I think somebody counted how many characters who met Kratos along all the games in the series survived and it was like 3 or 4 or them. That's counting friends and enemies... He's not an antihero, he's a very very angry asshole.

There's a particular puzzle I think in GoW III where you have to use one female captive as part of the solution and it doesn't end well for her. That was one of the times I said "OK, how stupid can they be?", but it's the same with several of the male NPCs you find along the way so there's that too.

I don't think these are games to be taken too seriously, it's all very over the top.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The old man in me says busting out the PS2 is always the right answer.
I'll have to see if it works. I haven't hooked it up since my old setup almost 10 years ago, when I just had it going straight into an HDTV that still had RCA inputs. I could not connect my N64 through my receiver when I tried a couple years ago cause my receiver was incapable of handling the incredibly low resolution of the RCA output (I have nothing that takes S-video anymore); I had to plug it in straight to my newer TV with some weird adapters (RCA to 3.5 mm??) and that made it bypass my speaker system of course. Hoping the PS2 can go through the receiver.

My PS2 nostalgia is not strong, I never had one until that generation was pretty much over, and I never bought any games for it, it just collected dust in my basement. My brother had one, and I remember playing Devil May Cry on it a bit, but other than that my only real memory was playing one at summer camp when some guy had just gotten one and everyone was like WHOAAAAA when we saw the graphics on Twisted Metal Black. Around 2012 I finally hooked the damn thing up and played through FFX, started FFX-2, and that is about all the action it's seen.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
While, as a kid, most of my nostalgia is pointed squarely at Nintendo, I had a PS2 for a good while - played the Kingdom Hearts games, GoW, SotC, Persona, Crash and Spiro games, etc. To me, the PS2 felt like a significant generational leap, and a step towards games being more "serious".

Might not be worth it for many, but I know there's upscalers for this purpose to get older consoles etc onto newer TVs.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I think they used RT for the shadows only (like in GTA V PS5's version...). They look nice and sharp, but they're... shadows. I like it better when they use that kind of technology for reflections.

It's a nice looking game nonetheless.

Yeah, I'm hoping this'll be my first game that actually feels like a next-gen game (though it is technically cross-gen).
I waited this long because I wanted to play it on a system that'll do it justice, also I guess a lot of the initial bugs have been fixed.

Got any tips on games where RT is utilized more?