What game are you playing?

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the first one. Did they make any great advances in the sequels? :p

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Finished Atreus second mission, those ones feel like forever even though they're not nearly as bad as other games side character missions. I'm glad they didn't force an Atreus/Angrboda love story, I'm sure the anti woke crowd would've rioted if they did. Then I did the Freya fight before stopping to go to bed.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I think that something more neutral like Kratos’ or Freya’s acting, or just weird / eccentric like Brok’s or Mimir’s sounds fine though.
I actually count Freya's voice in the camp of sometimes sounding like bad stage-play delivery. It ranges from excellent at times - when it needs to be - but the banter, and some of the minor-story-points dialogue is as awkward as anything else. It's all the over-acting and dramatic pauses and having modern+fantasy tones jammed next to eachother.

I can't describe how it bothers me without spoilers:
I find Atreus to be voiced fine, and in a way I expect. It's awkward, but in a teenage way that make sense and is believable to me.

Angrboda on the other hand is exactly the contrast I'm talking about - it's that cringy attempt at "wow, I've never spoken to real people before" kind of writing that feels like I'm being delivered video-game-y drama exposition rather than witnessing a believable character. A teenager being awkward is something I can believe. "Hehe I'm going to be weird for the first few minutes of our interaction because this terrible dialogue is the only way to get across that my character has been isolated for a while" just doesn't land for me. Especially when it contrasts with the environment that fails to tell the same story. I'm supposed to just take in the details just because they're exposited at me rather than be able to see a lived in space and be able to put two and two together myself.

Aaaaand then, just to further contrast it again, the next thing you do in that segment is visit the giant grandmother's house - the set dressing for that whole scene is set up VERY well to show instead of tell - and while they hammer the "abusive family member" thing pretty on-the-nose via dialogue too, most of what you need to know you can just see - instead of having a character fantasy-talk you into understanding what's going on.

Example 2:
When Freya stops short of killing you because she witnesses you taming the boy-bear outburst - there's no dialogue, just a really well captured facial expression that shows the conflict she's experiencing. It's exceptionally well executed in that moment.
Then you go on some video-game-y adventure with her, and the tone shifts into a fantasy-talk pissing match over who is the worst parent and who has made the most dramatic mistakes - and it's the farthest thing from a natural sounding conversation.

I don't know how to explain it better than that. The dialogue and delivery in this game is good where it matters, but I just have so much trouble with fantasy dialogue in general. I think it's a lot of why I can't get into most things in fantasy settings.

Edit:
To be clear - I don't hold it against the game at all. In some cases, I don't know that there would have been a reasonable alternative that suits the medium. In most other cases, it's just my own taste at play. My brain lights on fire when asked to reconcile fantastical exposition nonsense, and there's not much I can do to help it. Maybe some kind of very low threshold for suspension-of-disbelief.

Last edited:

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Grabbed Tactics Ogre Reborn. Not bad. Digging it more than Triangle Strategy, that's for sure.

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I actually count Freya's voice in the camp of sometimes sounding like bad stage-play delivery. It ranges from excellent at times - when it needs to be - but the banter, and some of the minor-story-points dialogue is as awkward as anything else. It's all the over-acting and dramatic pauses and having modern+fantasy tones jammed next to eachother.

I can't describe how it bothers me without spoilers:
I find Atreus to be voiced fine, and in a way I expect. It's awkward, but in a teenage way that make sense and is believable to me.

Angrboda on the other hand is exactly the contrast I'm talking about - it's that cringy attempt at "wow, I've never spoken to real people before" kind of writing that feels like I'm being delivered video-game-y drama exposition rather than witnessing a believable character. A teenager being awkward is something I can believe. "Hehe I'm going to be weird for the first few minutes of our interaction because this terrible dialogue is the only way to get across that my character has been isolated for a while" just doesn't land for me. Especially when it contrasts with the environment that fails to tell the same story. I'm supposed to just take in the details just because they're exposited at me rather than be able to see a lived in space and be able to put two and two together myself.

Aaaaand then, just to further contrast it again, the next thing you do in that segment is visit the giant grandmother's house - the set dressing for that whole scene is set up VERY well to show instead of tell - and while they hammer the "abusive family member" thing pretty on-the-nose via dialogue too, most of what you need to know you can just see - instead of having a character fantasy-talk you into understanding what's going on.

Example 2:
When Freya stops short of killing you because she witnesses you taming the boy-bear outburst - there's no dialogue, just a really well captured facial expression that shows the conflict she's experiencing. It's exceptionally well executed in that moment.
Then you go on some video-game-y adventure with her, and the tone shifts into a fantasy-talk pissing match over who is the worst parent and who has made the most dramatic mistakes - and it's the farthest thing from a natural sounding conversation.

I don't know how to explain it better than that. The dialogue and delivery in this game is good where it matters, but I just have so much trouble with fantasy dialogue in general. I think it's a lot of why I can't get into most things in fantasy settings.

Edit:
To be clear - I don't hold it against the game at all. In some cases, I don't know that there would have been a reasonable alternative that suits the medium. In most other cases, it's just my own taste at play. My brain lights on fire when asked to reconcile fantastical exposition nonsense, and there's not much I can do to help it. Maybe some kind of very low threshold for suspension-of-disbelief.

Yeah, I mostly agree. I find the voice acting to be good in general, but as I said: I'd prefer the acting to be more neutral-sounding (or maybe the opposite too? I'm fine with them being more exaggerated - or even with made up accents and pronounciation-, like Brok, Sindri, the squirrel, et al) rather than "This guy sounds like he's a surfer dude, what the hell is he doing here?"

And yeah, there's sometimes a sharp contrast between their regular "main scenes" acting and the characters' banter delivery. Even more so when you get to explore with a certain companion (I'm talking about Freya, but I don't want to spoil that), and then you have the actor sounding literally like they're reading their lines like "Maybe you should pull that lever", in the most "I'm really bored of doing this, I should read the contracts I sign" tone ever (not that you could put much emotion talking about that kind of stuff, but you'll see). It reminds me of Peter Dinklage's "That wizard came from the moon" in Destiny, but worse.

But anyway, I like the game and I'm just nitpicking. After a while I just get used to it or ignore that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone here played GTA Trilogy Definitive Edition? I downloaded it a long time ago and just barely got to playing it for any amount of time a 3-4 weeks ago. There are a lot of things that are just totally game-breaking (for example, the rampage missions in GTA III won't spawn enough enemies in the time limit, so they are impossible to complete, including the story missions, so I'm stuck in that one), a lot of graphics "upgrades" that are awful (they reskinned Denise in GTA SA and she looks not just bad but comically bad now, actually pretty much everything about San Andreas looks notably worse, from the weather to the NPCs to the cutscenes...), and the menus have a weird look and feel to them that don't really seem to match the style of the original game, but other than that, I guess it is a game.
I tried San Andreas when they first released it and it was terrible, enough to uninstall. I'd rather play it on my actual PS2 but at the same time age has not been kind to those old GTA games. The only I can kind of get into is 3.

I agree on the menus too, it felt out of place.

Last edited:

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Gah, how did I forget the squirrel guy? Definitely lands in the fantasy BS dialogue bucket.

Haha :lol: , I'm not a native english speaker and that kind of stuff resonates in a different way with me. Probably more "exotic" or "weird" to my ears.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I tried San Andreas when they first released it and it was terrible, enough to uninstall. I'd rather play it on my actual PS2 but at the same time age has not been kind to those old GTA games. The only I can kind of get into is 3.
3 definitive or 3 on the PS2? GTA III Definitive is unplayable. Or maybe the different consoles got different bugs. But whatever mission where you have to kill 30 Triads in 2 minutes, and it only spawns ten of them and, if you get super lucky, you might get three more to spawn in the 2 minutes, it's just an absolute impasse. I remember that the PS2 version of that mission was challenging, but for the difficulty, not because of a bug. In the DE, it's super easy, since there are hardly any enemies, but you can't complete it. There were a bunch of other missions before that which I recall being broken, too, but I somehow managed to get through them after multiple tries. Tons of glitches and tons of times I've just gotten stuck because the next part of a multipart mission just wouldn't happen.

Oh, yeah, for example, the mission where 8 Ball blows up the ship in the port! The AI kept having him rush right in and get killed before I could even get set up. The PS2 version doesn't let him move until you start shooting. In order to pass the mission, I had to run 8 Ball over and park my car on top of him so he wouldn't run off. I know that's cheating, since that's not how the game wants you to complete the mission, but I serious tried going as fast as possible and I was usually failing just about the time I got to the top of the roof where you are supposed to shoot.

I guess the games are mostly the same if all you want to do is blow up shit and cause pandemonium, though.

SA, honestly, I never played on the PS2 myself, I only ever watched my friends play it, and I don't remember them ever making it very far. I'm currently in the desert part of the game, and the amount of enjoyment I've got out of it seems to have tanked, so I'm hardly playing it now. The missions are all kind of a slog at this point, the difficult is ramped up, but it seems mostly like cheap difficulty rather than anything that feels rewarding - maybe that's how the original game was, though. I feel like there are at least fewer glitches in SA than in III, but I also kind of feel like they "improved" SA sort of like how that old lady "improved" that painting of Jesus in Spain, where the developers who ported it probably honestly thought that their efforts would make it look better, but then everything they were changing ended up looking like absolute shit, so they gave up and just released it with some graphical "upgrades" and the rest just copied and pasted over from the original. Honestly, they should have just left it as is and called it a port, rather than a "definitive edition."

But the release has been out a long time now, and I honestly didn't touch it after I bought it, first because I didn't have enough room for it until I finished other games and then because I didn't have time to play it. I get the feeling that everyone else downloaded and probably demanded their money back long ago.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I have the first one. Did they make any great advances in the sequels? :p
Basically amped the silliness up to 11, added a "story mode", added more ways to cause chaos, and the map is massive. At worse, it's only 30 bucks and will probably see a sale sooner than later. It's been silly broken fun though. But my kid absolutely loves the original, so this was basically an early Christmas gift.

As for me, in the middle of Palace 3 in Persona 5 Golden. I don't know if there's a whole bunch of new dialogue in even parts from vanilla P5, but for some reason, I find Ryuji way more endearing this time around.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
God of War - got through some more major sections of the story, and finally hit a section I didn't like. This was the lengthy
Angrboda
section. I mean, I don't have a problem with the character or what happened exactly, it just took so damn long. No, I did not want to sidle around on a yak collecting fruits for 30 minutes! The
cauldron
boss, though, made up for it - that was by far the most fun boss yet. Possibly partly cause it was so easy, I didn't even get hit during the whole fight.
Got through the next big section and the optional quests with
Kratos and Freya,
I loved all of that, I think she's the best character in this game at this point.

I switched from using the defensive shield to the dauntless one that can't even block, and the game's gotten a lot easier when I ONLY can use a shield for parries. It's extremely effective, and if the shield can only parry it's a lot easier to get the timings right. So yeah, only dodging or parrying at this point. I definitely screw it up fairly often (this game does require you to be somewhat deliberate with parries, if you are in the middle of an attack it seems like it won't cancel the animation to parry instead), but things are still going a lot smoother (and faster - parries do a LOT of stun to enemies) than they were with the blocking shield.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
3 definitive or 3 on the PS2? GTA III Definitive is unplayable. Or maybe the different consoles got different bugs. But whatever mission where you have to kill 30 Triads in 2 minutes, and it only spawns ten of them and, if you get super lucky, you might get three more to spawn in the 2 minutes, it's just an absolute impasse. I remember that the PS2 version of that mission was challenging, but for the difficulty, not because of a bug. In the DE, it's super easy, since there are hardly any enemies, but you can't complete it. There were a bunch of other missions before that which I recall being broken, too, but I somehow managed to get through them after multiple tries. Tons of glitches and tons of times I've just gotten stuck because the next part of a multipart mission just wouldn't happen.

Oh, yeah, for example, the mission where 8 Ball blows up the ship in the port! The AI kept having him rush right in and get killed before I could even get set up. The PS2 version doesn't let him move until you start shooting. In order to pass the mission, I had to run 8 Ball over and park my car on top of him so he wouldn't run off. I know that's cheating, since that's not how the game wants you to complete the mission, but I serious tried going as fast as possible and I was usually failing just about the time I got to the top of the roof where you are supposed to shoot.

I guess the games are mostly the same if all you want to do is blow up shit and cause pandemonium, though.

SA, honestly, I never played on the PS2 myself, I only ever watched my friends play it, and I don't remember them ever making it very far. I'm currently in the desert part of the game, and the amount of enjoyment I've got out of it seems to have tanked, so I'm hardly playing it now. The missions are all kind of a slog at this point, the difficult is ramped up, but it seems mostly like cheap difficulty rather than anything that feels rewarding - maybe that's how the original game was, though. I feel like there are at least fewer glitches in SA than in III, but I also kind of feel like they "improved" SA sort of like how that old lady "improved" that painting of Jesus in Spain, where the developers who ported it probably honestly thought that their efforts would make it look better, but then everything they were changing ended up looking like absolute shit, so they gave up and just released it with some graphical "upgrades" and the rest just copied and pasted over from the original. Honestly, they should have just left it as is and called it a port, rather than a "definitive edition."

But the release has been out a long time now, and I honestly didn't touch it after I bought it, first because I didn't have enough room for it until I finished other games and then because I didn't have time to play it. I get the feeling that everyone else downloaded and probably demanded their money back long ago.
Sorry about the confusion, I was referring to gta3 on the PS2.

That's pretty disheartening they all sound rough for DE. 3, Vice City and SA were my favorites for years! Once gta4 came out that changed the game (yet again). I had a hard time enjoying the older titles after playing the next gen, it felt so robotic and cartoony.

I'm not sure but was there actual refunding happening? Or did they just start working on patching stuff? I had heard they fixed the weather on SA but by that point I lost interest.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Grove Street patched the GTA: DE a little bit but it's still absolutely terrible. If you have a PC you should get the original versions and just download fan patches for them. I have San Andreas and VC, and fortunately steam still lets me download the old versions (since you can't buy them anymore). I think if you didn't have them already you have to get them illegally unfortunately.

To give Grove Street credit, they just did a really major overhaul and fixed their Ark: Survival Evolved port this week...only FOUR YEARS after the original came out and was a total disaster. So maybe these ports will be good in 2026!

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What are some good Xbox games that feature 8 and 9 string guitar in the music? Besides Doom.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
What are some good Xbox games that feature 8 and 9 string guitar in the music? Besides Doom.

Maybe Killer Instinct since Mick worked on that before DOOM, but I think he got the 8 string right before that, and the 9 was before/for Eternal and he sold it after.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe Killer Instinct since Mick worked on that before DOOM, but I think he got the 8 string right before that, and the 9 was before/for Eternal and he sold it after.
Yeah the Schecter with the Bats, I'd sell it too! Nice guitars though I have the 7 with a Floyd.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I was going to say Wolfenstein New Order and Colussus but I don't know if he even used 8's on those.

AMOS

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hellsinger is pretty wild, good Metal. Serj Tankian provides the vocals.

pahulkster

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Had knee surgery last week so I've been sitting around smashing through GoW all week. Probably not going to 100% everything but I finished the story and tons of side stuff. Haven't played anything that much since Elden Ring and probably won't again until Hogwarts Legacy.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
316067153_5593772610658061_6936262964192919072_n.jpg