What game are you playing?

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh, I'm currently replaying The Witcher 3, now on the PS5.

It looks the same (duh), but it runs generally better and loads way faster so there's that.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you don't want to play Demon's Souls (I think you should, if you have PS+ you can cheese it bigtime with uploading saves as a form of game freeze), the other big great graphical showcase on the system right now is Returnal, which is a roguelike that gets compared to soulslikes all the time cause of its difficulty. It sounds a lot harder/more frustrating than Demon's Souls or especially Elden Ring. I haven't played it cause it still hasn't gotten cheap enough for me.

Horizon Forbidden West is probably the best-looking game on the system to my eyes, but I definitely think it's worse than Demon's Souls and Elden Ring. And the PS4 versions of HFW and Elden Ring really do hold up quite well against the PS5 versions and as a result the PS5 versions kind of feel graphically held back by the cross-platform thing. I think Demon's Souls is widely considered to still be the best-looking game on the system. Except maybe Ratchet and Clank or whatever (I get that franchise confused with Jak and Dexter, never played either).

Most of the other "PS5" games I've played are just faster load-time versions of things that barely look different from PS4 games. AC Valhalla, Ghost of Tsushima, Far Cry 6. I'd highly advise not playing either AC:V or FC6, they suck.

I'm still hoping for the native PS5 versions of RDR2 and Witcher 3. Haven't played the first, and want to replay the second. Guessing the first should be a graphical powerhouse.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
PS5 controllers definitely feel better in my hands.
I agree, but I found it wasn't as huge a leap as from the 3 to the 4. Same thing with the xbox controllers. The jump from 360/ps3 era controllers to xbone/ps4 felt huuuuge to me. Since then, it's still improvement, but feels incremental. I found the ps4 controller feels good in terms of build quality, but it still had that old-school playstation shape - the Ps5 controllers biggest improvement, to me, is less the build quality and more the ergonomics of it.

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you don't want to play Demon's Souls (I think you should, if you have PS+ you can cheese it bigtime with uploading saves as a form of game freeze), the other big great graphical showcase on the system right now is Returnal, which is a roguelike that gets compared to soulslikes all the time cause of its difficulty. It sounds a lot harder/more frustrating than Demon's Souls or especially Elden Ring. I haven't played it cause it still hasn't gotten cheap enough for me.

Horizon Forbidden West is probably the best-looking game on the system to my eyes, but I definitely think it's worse than Demon's Souls and Elden Ring. And the PS4 versions of HFW and Elden Ring really do hold up quite well against the PS5 versions and as a result the PS5 versions kind of feel graphically held back by the cross-platform thing. I think Demon's Souls is widely considered to still be the best-looking game on the system. Except maybe Ratchet and Clank or whatever (I get that franchise confused with Jak and Dexter, never played either).

Most of the other "PS5" games I've played are just faster load-time versions of things that barely look different from PS4 games. AC Valhalla, Ghost of Tsushima, Far Cry 6. I'd highly advise not playing either AC:V or FC6, they suck.

I'm still hoping for the native PS5 versions of RDR2 and Witcher 3. Haven't played the first, and want to replay the second. Guessing the first should be a graphical powerhouse.

Yeah, AC:V is super long and boring. It looks nice, though.

I got HFW on my PS4, I’ll check the PS5 version if only to see how good it looks.

I was already well into this TW3 playthrough, so it makes sense to me to keep playing it. I’m sure I’ll play it again when they patch it, though. I really like it.

Anyway, I’m downloading Cyberpunk 2077 (which I already beat on the PS4) which will undoubtedly run and look better now. Not that any of that will make the story or characters any better, but it’s still an enjoyable game.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, I beat the Dragon boss on Sekiro NG+ and did the pot noble quests for the last needed lapis lazulis, so now I'm down to needing the "All Abilities" trophy for the Platinum. I'm on NG+, and grinding this clown in the Castle antechamber that drops like 2.1k exp every reset (~10 seconds). This still is an insane grind. I need 35 more ability points (!!!!) after doing two clears with all the minibosses with added material grinding! This game's EXP requirements for unlocking all abilities are insane. I bet you'd need to get to like NG+6 without any grinding to get this trophy.

So yeah, looks like I'll be killing this dude for at least 4 hours or so if I want that last trophy. Damn. Good game, but damn. I forgot how bad the exp grind for that last trophy was on PS4. Maybe I did more material grinding on NG+ or something and thus I didn't need THAT many from this guy.

After this, I dunno. Might watch movies for a while instead of playing games. My brain is kind of rewired to only like Fromsoft games these days. I think I had ONE trophy left for HFW (playing a few games of Machine Strike) but I just couldn't make myself do it.

rokket2005

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I rolled credits on Xenoblade Chronicles 3 yesterday. Game of the year. I booted into post game and suffice it to say I'll still be playing it for another few months probably.

Xenoblade Chronicles 3. This series is ALMOST topping my favorite RPGs: FF6 and Chrono trigger

This one is incredible so far.

FF6 and Chrono Cross were my favorite games for 15-20 years. Then Xenoblade 2 completely obliterated them. I can't really compare 3 vs. 2 yet, because it'll take me quite a bit of reflection to determine that, but there's so much to love in 3, and post game stuff is always pretty great in Xeno games too. Initial thoughts though are that I still prefer the characters a lot more in 2 than 3.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I rolled credits on Xenoblade Chronicles 3 yesterday. Game of the year. I booted into post game and suffice it to say I'll still be playing it for another few months probably.

FF6 and Chrono Cross were my favorite games for 15-20 years. Then Xenoblade 2 completely obliterated them. I can't really compare 3 vs. 2 yet, because it'll take me quite a bit of reflection to determine that, but there's so much to love in 3, and post game stuff is always pretty great in Xeno games too. Initial thoughts though are that I still prefer the characters a lot more in 2 than 3.
I think for me 1 = 2 > 3 so far. XC1 holds a very special place in my heart, and I cannot believe it was a Wii game. XC2 I actually hated when I first started... but then came around and its one of my favorite games of all time.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
The jump from 360/ps3 era controllers to xbone/ps4 felt huuuuge to me.

Yeah, but you know which jump really felt huge? The update from OG Xbox to Xbox 360, especially if going from the original Duke-controller to 360. I also had the S-type controller which was OK, but the 360 controller was just the best controller ever at that point. After that the xbone controller felt mostly like a cosmetic upgrade tbh (not counting the hugely improved connectivity with other devices, the 360 controller is a pain in the ass to use with PC/mobile compared to the xbone controller that just works out of the box on everything).

Carrion Rocket

Taiwan is a Country
Reaction score
Completely forgot the PS5 version of Cyberpunk was available. I'm gonna try to do a bunch of side activities before continuing the main story. Mainly because I know Rogue requires a few grand before you can even start that segment of the game.

Not sure how I feel about the haptic feedback on the DS5 though. At times it reminds me of having a really crap 3rd party controller from the PS2 days.

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
Replaying Zelda: A Link to the Past lately. Still super fun -- will probably run through some of the portable Zelda games after this one. I've never played any of them besides Link's Awakening.

Played a few games of Hell Let Loose last Sunday. The game's been updated with a lot of new stuff including night mode maps, and the Germans can have the Panther tank now. Scary! Had an especially fun game at Foy as a machine gunner. There's so much depth to this game.

Also trying to work myself up to actually trying to learn Tekken 7 for real.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Completely forgot the PS5 version of Cyberpunk was available. I'm gonna try to do a bunch of side activities before continuing the main story. Mainly because I know Rogue requires a few grand before you can even start that segment of the game.

Not sure how I feel about the haptic feedback on the DS5 though. At times it reminds me of having a really crap 3rd party controller from the PS2 days.
there are some games that do haptic really well. I think it's nice tech that can for sure be improved. It's not like the useless touchpad in the middle of the controller lol

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
there are some games that do haptic really well. I think it's nice tech that can for sure be improved. It's not like the useless touchpad in the middle of the controller lol
The touchpad has been used by a handful of games. Like, Gravity Rush 2 you had to do different directional swipes on it for different actions. Honestly I feel like something that can actually be used as a controller is more relevant to gameplay than some motors that make your hands go brrr, but what do I know. A lot of games also use it as the "pause" button, but that doesn't take advantage of the touchscreen aspect.

I feel like the last game that the vibration actually mattered to gameplay was Zelda: OOT. :p I often turn it off cause all it does is make my hands hurt.

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Like everything else, it more or less depends on each game's implementation.

I'm kind of liking the dualsense's adaptative triggers, but I'm indifferent to the rumble thing. I'm giving it a chance to see how well these fancy controllers work, but I might turn it off as I always do since the PS3.

Not sure about the controller's speaker, in some games it's super loud, and in others it's OK. But having different sound sources sounds confusing to my old brain, I tend to prefer having all the sound coming from the same place.

I think the touchpad works better now? It's been kind of useless in my PS4 games. Not precise enough, and I can't remember any games using it very well (not that the touchpad would allow it).

All those features - and the controller's lights- look like gimmicks to me, I can live without them. Although as I said the adaptative triggers have been helpful to some extent, I can measure how much pressure I need to apply better. But anyway, so far these look like very well built and comfortable controllers in my hands.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I thinks back4blood handles haptic very well on ps5. The triggers locked in certain positions and vibrated hard while shooting. Not sure so much on other games

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I find it kind of annoying most of the time. It's like, oh, if I play the PS5 version, it takes more effort to press R2 to draw my character's bow than on the PS4 version! Great!

I've heard Astro's Playroom is by far the best tech demo for the possibilities of the controller, but I haven't played it.

gabito

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's pretty good (and short).

It feels more Nintendo-ish than your typical Playstation game. Even the enemies look like they were ripped from some unreleased Mario game.