What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I picked up the Castlevania Anniversary Collection on Steam. In probably some of the least-shocking news of the year, it's kind of flawed.

The games mostly run fine but there are annoyances. For instance, you cannot re-map buttons and for the NES & Gameboy games you are stuck with (X-Box Controller) B & A as (Nintendo) A & B, respectively where X-Box A & X as A & B would be more conventional. The SNES & Genesis games are mapped more intuitively, but you can re-map in the game anyway.

The sound is also kind of weird- it's very bass-heavy. In the original CV the percussion & bass is so loud the channel playing the melody is barely audible. It's a bit better in the other NES & Gameboy games but still prominent. CV4 is bass heavy and the sound crackles. The Genesis game sounds fine.

It's $20 right now and I would recommend waiting for a sale or if these issues are fixed.

2. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Konami did the bare minimum with their collection. I have the Symphony/Rondo collection. Glad I grabbed it on sale because it feels pretty bare bones (I mean, one influential game and one damn good game aside).

3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Over the course of trying to keep up with busy schedules and pop culture maelstrom, finally finished Lost Paradise. The sidequests got rather tedious after a while so sodded those off.

Like the 2 sources the game cannibalises from, Lost Paradise is goofy right until the end. A bunch of betrayals and characters pulling out guns only to wave around and soliloquising full of angst before finally firing only not to kill their intended target... another Yakuza game really, only your victims swell up and blood, pus and body chunks explode... like a Fist Of The North Star victim should.

But these games live and die by their rich and weirdly hilarious side content, and ultimately I don't like Lost Paradise as much as it's flagship series.

For a start, it feels like a step back from the best of the Yakuza games. I don't mind not being build on the Dragon Engine, but it feels a lot smaller. The North Star characters don't really have much else about them. And Eden, while chock full of life, is certainly no Kamurocho. There's not enough Jagi either. :lol: The minigames are still fun. "Baseball" is awesome here, and while I didn't enjoy the Clinic game as much as Karaoke as music rhythm proxy, it's still fun and challenging. Just different (must be the song choices).

But what finally broke me was all the excessive grinding for money and collecting materials. A certain obscene amount of cash was needed for a sidequest and all the time spent on cabaret managing just didn't make enough to reach the quota. Getting materials only rewarded possibilities to customising the dune buggy to better at racing with it. And I reached the point where the rare materials became so scarce. And it doesn't help that you either grind at racing, or drive around the wasteland full of largely bugger all. It got over grindy that I stopped giving a crap.

Granted that I still had a lot of fun, and at heart, it's still a Yakuza game and having a Fist Of The North Star pastiche is still a stroke of genius that shouldn't have worked. Add to making it one of the most violent in the Hokuto canon does have it's gleeful moments. But even compared to the Yakuza series (which are already hilariously dumb), Lost Paradise does feel more shallow. But I guess that's to be expected with the North Star series as a whole really, a fun bulk buy economy brand game to enjoy while ordering a barbecue meat lovers with a 2 litre Coke. Add extra meat and sauce.

Still haven't bought Sekiro yet, so I probably should just start that copy of Final Fantasy XV that's gathering dust in the corner once and for all...

4. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Starting to really enjoy Bloodborne after beating a few more bosses and lighting up some more lamps. Feels like the game's really opening up. Planning on scooping Sekiro at some point, guess i'm just waiting for it to go on sale on Steam.

Mathemagician likes this.
  5. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

Playing Last of Us... Very, very late to the party but only got a PS4 a few weeks ago.

chopeth likes this.
  6. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

me too, it's great

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I started digging into the games on the SNES Classic. I actually enjoy the old StarFox more than most I think. I missed Yoshis Island when it was fresh, but there's lot of good stuff in there. I plan on spending a good amount of time with Mario RPG in the near future.

thedonal, Ralyks and Mathemagician like this.
  8. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

OG Star Fox is better than 64 in many respects I think. The three paths have some real variety to them and there’s a lot of challenge that’s just not there in the incredibly easy 64. The wallowy frame rate sucks, but you get used to it. It has fantastic music, too, imo much better than 64’s. My favorite levels were Fortuna, Macbeth, and Sector Y I think.

thedonal likes this.
  9. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Speaking of music, I never realized how great the Yoshi's Island music is. It's fantastic. Also one of the tunes sounds a looooooot like something from Zelda. Pretty sure it's half of the same melody. (The castle theme vs. the Song of Storms.) I know that's not new to anyone already familiar with those games, but still. I like it.

Edit: I wasn't expecting so much of the Starfox 64 dna to come strait from the SNES version. It's almost all there. At some point I'd like to dig into StarFox 2. I kind like the whole strategy thing on top of it so that it's not just more of the same. There's some good ideas there.

10. Bloody_Inferno

Yoshi's Island was mind boggling back in the day. Nintendo really went to town to pillage the hardware to great effect. Little things like blowing a balloon as a floating platform, to the watermelon seen spitting effects, it was so masterfully done. And agreed with the music, it has my favorite Invincibility Star theme in any Mario game (the jazzy melody brings the 2 chord vamp to life IMO).

Having said that, my biggest gripe of the game is the introduction of the '100% compeltionist' collecting. Granted it was still fun, I ended up preferring Super Mario World's exploration in my latter years instead.

Those just happens to be mine too. :lol: Fortuna's theme has an excellent groove. Add Venom lv2 as well for my list of favorites.

I realised recently why the original Starfox music was so different from the rest of the series; the composer ended up leaving Nintendo just before Starfox was released to form his own music-on-demand company. Good on the guy for branching out and doing his own thing, but the franchise's music suffered for it. Nintendo's composer staff and not even Koji Kondo himself can top the original's futuristic and cinematic style.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars (full name allowed only) is imo one of the best traditional RPGs ever made. It’s made my Squaresoft, but has so many Nintendo references, new characters and unique things like movement puzzles. Idk, one of my faves that I accidentally picked up at the flea market as a kid.

Ralyks and TedEH like this.
  12. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

It is annoying. But you don’t have to push far into the game before it’s a non issue. There’s allot weapons around.

But early game it was annoying as hell.

StevenC likes this.
  13. Bloody_Inferno

And after months of neglect, I finally started the tale of Noctis and his boy band cruising and frolicking around the countryside. A good time as any since Distant Worlds just announced a concert here in a few months and FFXV composer Yoko Shimomura is the guest of honour.

Sadly I didn't play so much of XV as I did watching the title screen as it barred me from beginning the game for 25 minutes until it's fully installed. Still, the Royal Edition cost me 20 bucks so at least a majority of DLC was free.

And of course being a Final Fantasy game, I took liberties of delaying the plot to a screeching halt just to dilly dally about with Hunts and exploration. I'm rather disappointed with the driving. Being a JRPG I didn't expect total freedom and control in fovour of finding and unlocking busywork, but being unable to drive on the wrong lane of the street is a bit much. Perhaps coming from Lost Paradise of driving freely around a large world of bugger all into a cruising down large stretches of bugger all isn't much of a step down but a massive fall into a ditch.

Oh well, at least the story is simple enough that it's harking back to classic FF games like IV and VI. This is going to be a long one, so I may as well kick back and enjoy it for what it is...

14. wankerness

The driving is so boring that you'll want to unlock fast travel asap. It's pretty much autopilot.

The hunts are awful compared to XII. Just repetitive junk.

I didn't play any of the DLC I don't think. Maybe some day! I got the SUPER COMPLETE edition but not the SUPER COMPLETE AND ROYAL EDITION so I probably am missing something. Eh. I doubt it's all good!

HAVE FUN IN THE ENDLESS CHAPTER OF GLOOM! It's really too bad they made it so long and so miserable, it is completely what sticks in my head about that game. I THINK I was sorta enjoying it for a while (apart from trying to navigate that Venice-y city), but that sucked all the joy out of me and felt like it was as long as the rest of the campaign combined. I get what they were going for, and they certainly succeeded, but I am pretty sure they made the wrong decision in turning it into a misery simulator.

In better news, the most recent patch for AC: Odyssey added a quest chain that made me lol heartily a few times, cause I still kinda have the sense of humor of a ten year old. :p

15. Ralyks

1. The chapter of Gloom in FFXV, I believe they modified to make it, y'know, suck less? Don't know, I finished it before that patch. It didn't bother me as much as a lot people, but still felt very unnecessary.

2. Yoshi's Island is an underrated gem, crying Mario aside.

3. Super Mario RPG Legend of the Seven Stars is one of the greatest games of all time, and wish they would do a TRUE sequel with Geno, Mallow, Johnny, Smithy, etc etc since they have a working relationship with Square Enix again, who I assume own the rights to those sadly underutilized characters.

4. I'm 4 trophies away from getting the Platinun in the first Borderlands and think I can finish that by the weekend. May go back and finally get the Platinum for BL2 after.

Mathemagician likes this.
  16. wankerness

BL2 trophy is a grindfest unless you started out with zer0 and salvador, you have to get them both to reasonably high level. I can't remember if there was anything else really time consuming in that one (I did it on 360 a while ago). I think finding all the locations was bad news since I didn't do it systematically with a guide.

17. Ralyks

I have an OP8 Zer0 and more overpowered guns than I know what to do with. The only trophies I need are basically finding whatever areas of the map I haven't, finish the rest of the side quests, and finish level 1 of all the non-level-specific challenges.

18. Bloody_Inferno

Crying Mario, bad aiming mechanics and the inorganic 100% competionist gameplay aside, Yoshi's Island was a great game and certainly broke ground at the time. One thing that left a lasting impression is the inventive boss fights. Nintendo has always understood well in their games that bosses are the examination of what has been learned from the world they reside, not just another enemy with a longer health bar. And Yoshi's Island was one of the better example of this by being creative with it. Every boss is just a small grunt given magical steroids, with the one exception where you get shrunk and fight inside the boss, an idea later reused in that Mario game where you go inside Boswer.

Funny enough I actually didn't rate this all too much at the time I played it the first time. Probably because it came out the same time as FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Terranigma etc, which were all monstrous competitions coming from Square and Enix firing on all 4 cylinders. Not to say that it's a bad game, it was and still is great for taking the Mario franchise out of it's norm and launching the Paper Mario series.

I bag Nintendo a hell of a lot, but they're awesome when they're dead on.

19. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

So now that I have my PC cabling setup updated (I have it plugged into my AV system/TV as well as the monitor at the studio end- I've now got an usb hub up there for a second keyboard, mouse and joystick setup to rock from the sofa!), I'm going to start diving back into Elite Dangerous. It's been many months since I played- kind of rage quit from being shot up entering a station (think I'd picked up an illegal cargo mission that wasn't really suitable for a Python...at first no idea why I was let in then suddenly trespassing).

I quite fancy a spot of mining to get the credits up for an Anaconda. Then maybe fit that out for buggy, fighters and range to go out exploring again.

20. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I have been playing Battlefront 2 on PS4. I don't have a PS+ network subscription so I am only playing the single player campaign.
    I had asked about this game a while ago and most people said this game was not too interesting for offline single player gaming, but I saw it for a good price and decided to get it. No regrets!