What game are you playing?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by mark520, Jun 10, 2011.

1. ThtOthrPrsn

ThtOthrPrsn Unconventional

I've always been more of a fan of Uncharted vs Tomb Raider due to that big setpiece and action aspect. Really felt like a movie, which I find really enjoyable in single player games.

2. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Have you played the last three? I can’t imagine not liking them if you like that about Uncharted. The only thing missing are the good characters!

3. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

More like a Vera Jones rip off.
    i' ve only played the first one and it sucked. It is like sitting thru a really beautiful really bad épisode of Relic Hunter... Without Tia.

4. wankerness

Uncharted 1 is not very good. 2 was an instant classic and is where it found its footing. A ton of game series are like that. Assassins Creed, The Witcher, Marathon, etc. I played the remastered 1-3 when I got my PS4 and thought 2 and 3 held up pretty brilliantly, I really liked them. 1 just established all the characters but the gameplay was trash.

SPEAKING of AC2, I started it (again) yesterday and it was interesting after just playing a zillion hours of Odyssey. There's a lot more depth to the gameplay in some ways, like you actually have to climb up handholds on walls instead of apparently being Spider-Man, and the stealth is a LOT more involved, unlike AC Odyssey which works exactly like most modern games where you are basically invisible when you're in the strategically placed shrubberies that are around all bases and visible at all times when you aren't and are in LOS. This one has the stuff like blending in with crowds, behavior affecting detectability, being able to hire a crowd of courtesans to follow you around and serve as camo/bait, etc. The combat is terribly stilted in comparison, of course, and the controls are more janky, and climbing down surfaces is TERRIBLE (keep mashing O over and over for each ledge descent!!), but it definitely has its charms. It's kind of fun being able to take on a gigantic crowd of enemies just by easily countering and 1-shotting them all as they try to hit you. I also am interested that it keeps the animus thing in mind most of the time. Not that I really care about the plot, but at least they were trying back then.

Some of the aspects of Odyssey I assumed were more recent were also here, down to stupid things like having to climb up high places to do eagle-eye views of the city to unfog the map, and then always being able to jump off them dramatically into a lump of straw.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  5. ThtOthrPrsn

I haven't played the latest one, but I have played the 2 before it. They're good, no denying that. But the characters and dialogue are what puts Uncharted over the top and give it its charm!

6. wankerness

Yeah, definitely, I don't know if I would have even made it through the first Uncharted if I didn't like the characters so much. The ending of Uncharted 4 really, really worked and made me realize I was more attached to those characters than any other ones in the history of videogames.

(PS - Uncharted 4 is the worst of the 4 storywise cause they throw in Sam out of nowhere, who sucks, and make the whole damn game about him!)

7. ThtOthrPrsn

Yeah, I wasn't much of a fan of Sam, but they still handled his random appearance pretty well compared to how other games would've done it.
    Did you see the live action short they did with Nathan a while back?

8. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

And they STILL won’t give Nathan Fillion the role. Fillion is born to play that role!

9. wankerness

Maybe Nathan Fillion 15 years ago! That character is hyper-athletic young dude, Fillion doesn't look like someone that could be climbing up falling train cars etc. He could play the epilogue for Uncharted 4 though :D

Mathemagician likes this.
  10. ThtOthrPrsn

I believe that was the reason he either turned it down or he wasn't cast for it. Now if it was Nathan during Serenity, it'd be all his!

11. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Sigh... Black Ops IIII was half off at Best buy, plus some coupons and friends pestering me to get it...

12. Carrion Rocket

Carrion Rocket Registered Lurker

Trudged my way through Gears of War 3. I'd played a little bit of the first Gears years ago, maybe two levels worth, never really got into it. But I have to wonder what asshole keyed sprint and cover to the same button?

ImNotAhab likes this.
  13. GatherTheArsenal

GatherTheArsenal SF2 > Everything

The entire Ezio trilogy has so much replay, especially the remasters they released, just another excuse for me to play them again and enjoy the immersive stories and characters. Especially AC2 it stands out above the rest, don't you think?

And I agree totally on how the early games made more of a point on keeping the animus in mind, not to mention the brotherhood vs. templars story arc and the first civ. Up until AC4 they were really laying it on thick with developments in those plots and it was really intriguing! But I lost a considerable amount of interest starting from AC4 moving forward since those unique plot lines became an afterthought.

I totally thought Origins would pick back up but nope, so I played it and sadly I just kinda gave up on AC having any meaningful story anymore. It's obvious they're not interested in putting that kind of writing (different writers anyway than the Ezio Trilogy), so I need to adjust my expectations accordingly.

Origins really had no reason to bear the AC name since the majority of the time it's so easy to forget you're an "assassin", i.e. gladiator arenas and chariot races... like really? Fun gameplay granted and wow amazing visuals (which seems like that's mainly what ubisoft wants to get out of AC titles lately) but the plot was just one long power trip with a healthy dose of vengeance, becoming an assassin was purely coincidental. Fun as it is, but the series feels like a hollow husk of it's former self. It's gone the way of CoD where story is really not what you should be looking for.

That's the main reason I haven't picked up Odyssey, it's like last on my list. I'll get it eventually but my interest is just coincidental since I have an affinity for Greek history and mythology.

Not sure if you'd agree with my view on the series?

14. wankerness

I don't really have a view on the series since AC: Odyssey is the only one I've played all the way through. AC2 is the second one I've played! I'm 20 hours in and what you say about Origins going non-assassin seems at least partly true of Odyssey, as well.

Odyssey has a lot of the same aspects as 2, tbh, like the same kinds of assassination contracts and the main "plot" involves collecting clues about the members of some secret society and killing them off. You can usually stealth in and kill them instead of basically going in swords swinging, but the game lets you do builds for the latter if you want to just kill everyone instead of be stealthy. However, it does also have an equivalent of the "notoriety" meter from 2 where you get attacked by nastier and nastier elites at higher and higher paces depending on your notoriety level (based on things like killing people in view of others, stealing things when people can see you, various plot developments, etc). Most amusingly, if you get high notoriety, the elites will even come out to get you on the high seas!

From what I heard about Origins you were pretty much forced into just fighting everyone and disregarding stealth.

Stuff like exploration of the countryside with horses happens in 2 as well, as does filling in maps with finding tower points, maps with ten million icons all over them, looking for all kinds of stupid shit for completion (feathers, puzzle icons on the wall, buying paintings, etcetcetc). It's just that Odyssey seems to be trying to slug it out with Witcher 3 for world size and it went full action RPG while AC2 was extremely technically limited and mostly just keeps you in the city. But, I don't really think they're THAT disparate; it seems like 2 wanted to be an action RPG from the beginning with doing sidequests to get "exp" (money) to upgrade stats (granted through better gear). Guys just don't drop gear so it's a lot less Diablo-like.

2's plot is a little bit better, I think, and it keeps you a bit more involved, partly through the weird (and effective) gimmick of making you pay attention to all the cutscenes via randomly throwing button prompts into them! Apart from the main "cult that needs to be worn down through killing various members" plot, it has some other aspects to Odyssey, like throwing Leonardo Da Vinci in as a comic relief sidekick (Odyssey has a few of those historical guys, with Sokrates being the main one).

And the Animus stuff might as well not exist in Odyssey. IIRC there are TWO cuts back to the animus through the main questline and references to the templars don't really start coming into play at all until the "post game" stuff (there's a large continuation of the main questline with more cuts back to the "real world" that most probably do after they beat what's nominally the main quest involving weirder sci-fi stuff and it ends with a very out-there real world event).

There are a couple things that I hate about 2. The worst thing are the tombs - I mean, I'm sure a lot of people like them, but they stress me out like no other since the jumping is wonky and some of them I've done, especially the church one, are a MASSIVE series of precision jumps going higher and higher up where the consequences of missing one get worse and worse. I also hate the races partly cause of the controls. I mean, they're not awful and were probably pretty impressive at the time, but there are still severe limitations to them with not being able to predict what your character's going to do in some platforming situations.

Speaking of chariot races, I don't think there's anything like that in Odyssey (if there is, I don't recall encountering them), but I sure just played a section of 2 yesterday in which I had to drive a horse carriage around for a long time while tons of guys chased after me, jumped on the carriage, and shot flaming arrows in my path, so that isn't completely out of left field!

15. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

oh dark souls remastered. How can I love you and hate you so much at the same time

I think this is what it must be like to be physically beaten by your partner daily.

16. wankerness

I played that for like two hours on Xbox 360 and just didn't get it. It seemed wooden and clunky and uninteresting. I quit out of boredom before I could quit out of frustration, I guess. I am just not cool.

BlackMastodon likes this.
  17. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

How far did you get in? Admittedly 2 hours ain't enough to be even considered a 'sample'.

Dark Souls (or any From Software game that has the words Souls, Blood or Sekiro on the title) are games that may not look like much initially and doesn't bother to welcome you into it's own world, they practically hate the player. :lol: I certainly didn't like it initially. First impressions are to the series' detriment, it's the kind of games that you need Cliff's Notes before even attempting. The controls do suck (worst jump command ever).

But after a few attempts, let's plays, readings and plenty of deaths, the game opened up after the second boss fight. The challenges are tough, but fair, so whatever crap happens to you can also happen to the enemies and bosses. It wasn't obnoxiously difficult like say 3D Ninja Gaiden where your most dangerous enemy is the camera.

There were 2 parts in the game that made me 'get' Dark Souls. First after a few deaths, I still wanted to keep playing. Second after a few deaths either I wanted to keep playing the one path, or go explore the alternate paths that opened up after getting to this point. Suddenly it became one of the best Metroidvania games I've ever played, certainly the best 3D Metroidvania game anyway. Add to the fact that the story is all about showing without telling adds to the grand atmosphere.

Yeah, the series does breed some smugness in the community that say nothing but 'git gud' or it gets better the more you die/play, but that's like saying you feel less pain the longer you lay your hand on a lit stove. Again, first impressions to the game's detriment. And once you really get into it that you get in the danger of being smug yourself. :lol: But whatever.

For a similar experience, but more familiar gameplay, I suggest Salt And Sanctuary. It's literally Dark Souls but in 2D.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Mathemagician and KnightBrolaire like this.
  18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I can totally see that . and I even felt that way to a degree. but there's a point where you just accept your fate , and that's when you accept you are truly broken and worthless. And that you deserve ,or even desire , to die over and over

wankerness likes this.
  19. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire unofficial sso pickup tester

as someone that's spent unseemly amounts of time playing souls games, you really needed to spend some more time with the game. The level design in Dark Souls is still basically unmatched to this day in the way that it manages to connect all of its areas in a relatively seamless manner (unlike the other games in the series). It's a game that essentially forces you to get better at it, which for some modern gamers makes it difficult. It's not really a hard game but it's one that demands patience and paying attention. Especially in Anor Londo/Sen's Fortress/Blighttown.

20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Blightown is the -

[spoilers]

Cavern with all the wooden ladders and walkways right?

Guys just go left. You can run all the way around it. I swear it was designed that way on purpose for us “always go the wrong way first” types. You walk around a toxic lake and skip almost all enemies.

Walk AROUND the entire area then just go up two or three ladders. That’s it.

I didn’t know that area was such a shit show until I ran through I backwards to make sure I didn’t miss any items.