What bands did you see live recently / are waiting to see?

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Literally just bought a ticket to see Lingua Ignota in Brooklyn in December. After Kristin said she's basically retiring the Lingua discography, kinda figured I have to go now.

Isaiah04

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Seeing Trivium tonight, and am stoked to see BTBAM live for once. I'm honestly looking forward to see Shogun and hopefully Skyline.

Masoo2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Converge with Full of Hell + Petbrick

Petbrick - Really interesting set, hadn't looked them up before and didn't know what to expect other than "noise duo" but it was a really nice. Not sure if I'd call them noise though? "Noise" to me tends to imply a bit less structure and more abrasiveness, this was rooted heavily in basic 4/4 metal drumming patterns and the electronics weren't heavily improvised or anything.

Full of Hell - Second time seeing them live and they continue to absolutely deliver. Dylan delivers by far the best vocal performances I've ever seen. Unreal energy, tons of passion, fantastic delivery, stupidly aggressive. Did not know that their newer "softer" stuff like Reeking Tunnels used Fender Bass VIs in place of normal bass but it created a super nice glued sound with the Eb guitars an octave above. Not 100% positive but I believe their bassist played through Converge/Nate's amp setup? Which may have contributed to the Bass VI sounding stupid nice as Nate runs both an Orange bass amp and guitar amp simultaneously. Drum kit sounded STUPID good, best live drum mix I've heard in years. Snare was ungodly powerful.

Converge - Some mixed thoughts. Jacob's vocal delivery was *really* poor during the first few songs but then started to come through and shine about a third of the way through their set. I was on the left side of the crowd (stage right) and could barely hear Kurt's guitars, it seemed certain points of the set his rig would be stereo, other times just his side of the stage. Nate, their bassist, was insane. Best live bass tone I've ever heard, SO clear and powerful. Great screams too. The energy overall was good though, the crowd was definitely there for Converge and not the others which made itself apparent with the near-constant crowdsurfing.

What I found interesting was how much quieter the Converge mix was compared to Full of Hell. This was both evident live and in the few recordings I took. Maybe it had something to do with Kurt running predominantly direct in with his Helix + slight supporting stage volume with power amp + cab while Full of Hell ran solely on-stage amp + cabs?

And final point: decided to buy some random pair of $20ish or so "concert earplugs" from Hearprotek that supposedly don't cancel out as many high frequencies as regular ones. 100% recommend did not know a live performance could *actually* sound clear and detailed.

Last edited:

Masoo2

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Literally just bought a ticket to see Lingua Ignota in Brooklyn in December. After Kristin said she's basically retiring the Lingua discography, kinda figured I have to go now.
do NOT miss her performance dude.

It was transformative to say the least. I wish her the best with her future creative endeavors but I'm so lucky to have seen her last month in such an intimate setting.

RNI-Films-IMG-DCF74FD3-C94F-4075-831C-BB17F099D0F9.JPG

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Man I haven't seen Converge since late 2000's, I'd love to see them now. Man I'd fucking KILL to see a BANE show now...

SCJR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just bought tickets for Moonchild. Should be a good show, I like the venue it's at.

Wildebeest

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This year:

Limp Bizkit - still sick and the boys still bring it
Stone Temple Pilots - You can tell the newer singer is really enjoying the gig, good show.
Bush/Breaking Benjamin/Alice In Chains - Breaking Benjamin and Alice in Chains really blew away Bush's set, I kinda felt bad for them.
Jane's Addiction/Smashing Pumpkins - 2nd time seeing Jane, still a lot of fun. 5th or 6th time seeing the Pumpkins. Their sets since 2018 have been absolutely killer since James rejoin the band. They kept Jeff on guitar, so they sound absolutely immense with 3 guitarists. They use it so well and have some of the best live tones you can hear. I have to see them whenever they come through.
Drab Majesty - One of the best newer bands. Excellent chorus tones, great fun songs.
AFI - the boys still have it, you would not guess these dudes are almost 50. Absolute showmen.

Mboogie7

Lefty's unite!
Reaction score
No plans as of yet but my current list of bands I must see are:
Red Hot Chili Peppers now that John Fru is back in the fold.
Shadow of Intent - holy shit how did I discover them only a few months ago!?
Meshuggah - obvious reasons

devastone

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Less than two weeks to Vai at the local dive. I really want to go, but the idea fo staying out until pre-dawn thirty on a Monday now? Dunno if can do, and I'm in a lock-in situation at work where taking days off is tantamount to baby eatin' in the town square, so I'm torn.

Hmm.
I'm not sure if I followed the 2nd part of that, but I saw Vai here on a Wednesday night a few weeks ago. Show started promptly at 8 with no opening band, the set was 2 hours and we were walking out at 10:15 after the encore.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I followed the 2nd part of that, but I saw Vai here on a Wednesday night a few weeks ago. Show started promptly at 8 with no opening band, the set was 2 hours and we were walking out at 10:15 after the encore.
That I might be able to do. Have to see what the week looks like I guess.

Gwdion

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Went to see Porcupine Tree this week! Wonderful concert, sound was perfect - they sound as good live as on the albums, if not even better, their sound engineer seems to be a magician. They've got two new members on bass and guitar whose names I'll yet have to google and to memorize, they did an awesome job! The band just confused the hell out of me by playing "Trains" in G minor instead of A, but aside from that, it was an incredible experience. Go see them, if you get the chance!
And, also, Anna von Hausswolff a few weeks ago. She's not from this world. I'm even more obsessed with her now.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Went to see Porcupine Tree this week! Wonderful concert, sound was perfect - they sound as good live as on the albums, if not even better, their sound engineer seems to be a magician. They've got two new members on bass and guitar whose names I'll yet have to google and to memorize, they did an awesome job! The band just confused the hell out of me by playing "Trains" in G minor instead of A, but aside from that, it was an incredible experience. Go see them, if you get the chance!
And, also, Anna von Hausswolff a few weeks ago. She's not from this world. I'm even more obsessed with her now.
Historically, PT have always played Trains a few semitones lower than the record. Probably easier on Steven's voice. Their live performances have always been absolutely magical. It's the only word I know to describe them.

syzygy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saw Bilmuri last Friday. Most fun show I've ever been to. Solid musicianship and the whole setlist was stacked. It was also a way more intimate venue than the Turnstile show so I could actually hear the singing. Would highly recommend if you like post-hardcore.

Soya

Poor person
Reaction score
Seeing Steve Vai for the first time this Wednesday in Chicago, wicked excited.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Seeing Vola this Sunday. Pretty excited for that one, but it'll be my first time going to a concert alone so I'm kinda nervous 😅
It's just as well, cause I didn't go. Got covid mid last week and it's lasted until today or so. :( Seems it was a cool gig too, which hurts.

Pietjepieter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just planed to post some more, thought I start with some shows I have been to recently.

Last saterday I saw Opeth, with VoiVod as a opener. I really liked VoiVod! but Opeth... Okee it was good, it was really good, they played very well, the sound was really good.
But for some reason I did not really get into it. To be onnest Opeth is one of those bands that I should like on paper but never really does it for me.

Totally opposit was a show from Black Midi, they played in mine hometown and yeah I like there last record so I thougth i should pay them a visit. Totally cool show, great athmosper, big party, I even liked the the rap trio that was the opener, cool show!

I also went to Obscura some time ago, man that was a huge disappointment. Jeroen was not there, Christian he was their played his tunes, but was not really there, look like he did not liked to be there at all. Steffen played good, and try to make a show of it but the his guitar output was fucked so grrrrrr sound. Anyway technically it was ok David killed on drums. Good thing was Persefone was oppening and they played killed, great band!

Also seen After the Burial with a bunch of other bands. AtB killed it live, super tight!

Naxxpipe

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As I mentioned here before, I went and saw BAEST on saturday. I am quite new to the band as I discovered them earlier this year, but holy shit what a fucking show!
Great stage presence from the entire band, all songs were bangers and worked extremely well live, sound was great. Plenty of moshing, some crowdsurfing and banter between songs, this gig had it all! They are now a must-see for me!