What bands did you see live recently / are waiting to see?

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
A little bit over a week ago I saw... Cult of Luna, Leprous, Tesseract, Cannibal Corpse, Cradle of Filth, Vader, Hypochrisy, The Ocean, Wolfheart, Rotting Christ, Dawn of Solace and Opeth. There was other bands too, but I was too busy drinking and having fun with my friends to bother. North of Hell was the festival and I really liked it.

The best bands (to me) were Leprous, Cult of Luna, Cannibal Corpse and Opeth. The worst band award goes to... *drumroll* Cradle of Filth!

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Euhh lets see...

1 week ago: Igorrr + Aborted, both cool shows, love Igorrr
3 weeks ago: Cattle decapitated + Blood incartation, also cool, esspecially cattle
weekend before cattle I was at radar festival, lots of cool bands, highlights: Haken, Leprous, The Dali Thundering Concept, Cold night for alligators.

Wednesday i go to see the ocean, always nice live (ok it will be the thirth times this year but they are playing close to my home so yeah why not... :)

I really wanna see Cattle Decap too, but judging by their social media posts it doesn't sound like they'll be coming to Europe again anytime soon :( And AFAIK they've never even been to Finland in the first place.

Deftones are just a much looser band live. Chino was great but Stephen's tone seemed to get lost in the mix more than normal.

Yeah, I saw Deftones in Tuska Metal Festival this year - not being a fan of the band, I couldn't even tell if there were riffs in there because it was so mushy. Almost like someone screaming at a construction site or something. I really wanted to give them a chance, but after 10 min of not being able to make anything out, we just left to catch an earlier bus home instead. The previous night Merciful Fate was the headliner - we're not fans of them either nor know any of their songs, but the riffs were distinguishable and all in all it was just enjoyable to listen to, but Deftones? Nope, couldn't do it.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just played a show with Without Waves and if you like catchy, proggy/mathy stuff you should be checking out their last couple of albums on Prosthetic Records. Super sweet dudes who make great music and put on a killer show.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
- Opeth/ Mastodon at the Ryman. Brent seemed disinterested in even being there. Brann's drums sounded bad in the mix all night. Troy and Bill sounded fantastic. Troy's live vocals seem to be getting better and his bass tone was massive. I'm not an Opeth fan, but they killed it with the fill-in drummer on one of the first dates. I thought Zeal & Ardor put together a great opening set. I've seen heavy music shows at the Ryman before and I've never seen a band struggle as much with sound as much as Mastodon there.

Saw this show back in November, no issue with Brann's sound, but you're spot on for Brent - seems like he checked out of the band and is showing up to cash the check. Opeth was flawless as well, and I hadn't seem them since 2007, couldn't tell that any time had passed.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Spiritbox, Knocked Loose and Kublai Khan are the only ones I'd really want to see for metal type bands.

I did see Amigo the Devil and Murder by Death recently. My daughter loves Amigo and I've only heard a handful of songs that were simple arrangements like mostly vocal and guitar or banjo. I was expecting a snooze fest but to my surprise it was easily one of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

They had a full band and a lot of energy throughout the set, the songs were kind of more rock oriented vs singer songwriter. Even the solo songs were great and one had one of the best crowd singalongs I've ever heard. It was chilling. The guy has a hell of a voice, the songs are good, the set didn't drag on, they had great crowd interaction, etc. It was about as perfect as you'd want it to be from a live show and wished they played for another hour. Can't say enough good about them.

Similarly, I thought Murder by Death was going to be boring. The first couple songs weren't doing it for me but they grew on me and I really enjoyed their set. I'll have to listen to more of their material.

Pietjepieter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saw this show back in November, no issue with Brann's sound, but you're spot on for Brent - seems like he checked out of the band and is showing up to cash the check. Opeth was flawless as well, and I hadn't seem them since 2007, couldn't tell that any time had passed.
Saw them in begin Juni i believe, all by all a good show, but not great. Brent was sort of ok, better than I thought he would be. But kind of bleh feeling after the show, they did there thing, we applaused, everybody got home safe after it and thats it.. sort of vibe....

I have seem them quite sometimes and was always kind of hit and miss

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Saw the Goo Goo Dolls the night before. Their sound was disappointing but they put on a good show. It's easy to forget how many big songs these guys have. Their opening band, Blue October, was really uncomfortable to watch and sit through. Never heard of them and wish I could still say that
I'm seeing both of them soon... My daughter likes Blue October and we saw them last year. I thought they put on a good show but I think as someone who isn't a fan I feel their music is kind of scattered: the material seemed more varied than I expected.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Saw them in begin Juni i believe, all by all a good show, but not great. Brent was sort of ok, better than I thought he would be. But kind of bleh feeling after the show, they did there thing, we applaused, everybody got home safe after it and thats it.. sort of vibe....

I have seem them quite sometimes and was always kind of hit and miss

That seems to be the consensus unfortunately but for me every time I've seen them they've been good; the only OK one was this show since I don't entirely jive with the new album, which is obviously what they're supporting.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Been a while since I saw anything non local. I think my last Show show was SUNN and BIG|BRAVE in 2015.

Waiting for Birds in Row to announce North Amerika tour, I'm for sure gonna fly and see them on their next one.

Need to make Roadburn a priority in the next couple years. I keep saying it, I need to make it happen before it's just some shit I wish I did when I was younger.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Just saw Erra and Alpha Wolf a few weeks ago. Crazy impressed with Alpha Wolf's energy and presence, and god damn does Erra sound amazing live.

Going to see McClusky in a month, pretty stoked.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Saw Heilung last night in Worcester. It was awesome.

Oh shit you came up for that? Chick I knew from Tinder was going, she was going to trip her balls off during it she said :lol:

edit: I'm heading out in about an hour for the Rammstein show at Gilette, should be a rad time

NotDonVito

molesta la breastas
Reaction score
Got dragged to a Linkin Park tribute band last summer. I clearly don't like going to concerts anymore because I passed on a once in a lifetime chance to see Luca Turrilli and Stratovarius this past summer at Prog Power USA. Stratovarius tours the US sometimes but not my part of the US, but Luca playing here again will be such a rare occasion. Cannibal Corpse is playing a local venue in my town this December which is hilarious to me being so close to Christmas, so I might go to that since I don't have to travel.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Oh shit you came up for that? Chick I knew from Tinder was going, she was going to trip her balls off during it she said :lol:

edit: I'm heading out in about an hour for the Rammstein show at Gilette, should be a rad time

Worcester is only about an hour or so from me. Best place to see bigger metal shows for me. Lots of LARP going on but super positive and cool people in the crowd near me. Ticket said 6:30 and I heard they are prompt. Doors opened at 6:30 and they played at 8:30. Needless to say my edible wore off and my feet and back were killing me lol.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Ooooh yes, a few shows coming up soon:

Two weeks from now: Bloodbound + some supports I've never heard.

Two more weeks from that: Nordic Metal Cruise (Ihsahn, Leprous, Assemble the Chariots, Ember Falls)

then in January, Alestorm, Gloryhammer, Wind Rose and Rumahoy are going on a EU tour and they are actually coming to Finland as well for a change. They always used to skip Finland on their European tours, but apparently not anymore :)

Kaura

matching headstock fetishist
Reaction score
Saw Plini yesterday again. Unprocessed was opening and low-key wanted to see them but the line was moving so slow that I got in just as they finished. At least I got to shake the singer's after the show as he was hanging near the exit.

I also got to play Plini's Strandberg at the merch table. That neck is truly something. :lol:

Last edited:

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
I saw Pauli Hanhiniemi couple of weeks ago and last weekend saw Tuohimaa. Both were great!

BusinessMan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Orbit culture 10/1 and meshuggah the day after on 10/2! Amazing shows.

I'm going to be seeing shadow of intent on 10/12.