What are you cooking right now?

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Always dig your food posts @spudmunkey , always caters to my "looks delicious and relatively healthy" side.
Thanks, but oh...this asparagus one is so not that. Ha! This was a meal for two and had 150% daily recommended fat and 900 calories per person in the crust alone. :lol: Not to mention the parm cheese and goat cheese...

That Honey lemon sumac chicken is a good one though. It's a decently-substantial amount of food for 2 people, and if you really wanted, you could probably swap out the wheat-based couscous with a whole grain like quinoa without issue to make it a little healthier, or maybe farro or kamut with minor tweaks to the order of operations.

If you've never had sumac, it's a bit lemony, and a little bit floral (it reminds me of the flavor of szechuan peppercorns, but with no spice and no numbness). If you've ever had a greek salad or hummus that was sprinkled with something that looks a bit like paprika but a little more purple/maroon-red, that was likely Sumac.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This one isn't too bad, health-wise.

Skinless chicken breast, brined with the leftover liquid from a recently-emptied jar of pickles for about 5 hours, then patted dry and smeared with a shwarama-like seasoning blend turned into a paste with evoo and lemon juice, and baked then broiled for a few mins at the end.

Frozen French fries, baked along with the chicken, pulled out while the chicken broiled for 3 minutes, then back into the oven for about 5 mins of "air fry".

Once those fries were pulled out of the oven and seasoned with Lawry's seasoned salt, I turned off the oven, and I put the pita bread on the rack for 2 mins as the oven cooled.

Cut the pita in half, then split it open with the help of a steak knife to get it to cooperate.

Put down a base of 4-5 fries, maybe 3 tablespoons of cut-up chicken. Gave it one quick thin squirt line of mayo, and a zip zag squirt of Sriracha, then a few diced cucumber and quartered cherry tomato pieces.

After I got 3/4 done, I remembered we had some feta leftover from last week, and sprinkled a little on my last couple of bites. Worth it.

20220907_231523.jpg

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some stuff.

FB369400-8-BAA-4-F65-8751-E676-D56-D9-A18.jpg

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Stuck in the woods of Louisiana supporting training, but I still have some luxuries 🤣

Attachments

• signal-2022-09-10-18-50-24-705.jpg
    signal-2022-09-10-18-50-24-705.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 7

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Believe me, there was some serious trial and error trying to poach eggs and have Ramen at the same time with a jet boil 🤣

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nothing fancy, but damn that hit the spot.

Leftover rice
Roasted sweet potato
Roasted red onion
Chipotle garlic seasoning blend
Leftover black-peppered bacon
Fried egg (Could have been crispier...still learning the new stove)
Spicy BBQ sauce
Pickled red onion

20220913_214315.jpg

Last edited:

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Made BLTs from some shitty supermarket white bread on sale for $0.47/loaf and a single $5 tomato. 😅

One has a spicy BBQ sauce and mayo...not sure why it looks like grape jelly. The other has a Chipotle mustard and mayo.

20220914_154730.jpg 20220914_155710.jpg Screenshot_20220914-155728_Gallery.jpg

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
quick and easy cast iron pizza.
whole wheat tortillas
mix of cheddar and low moisture mozzarella
turkey pepperoni
homemade sauce

preheat it in the cast iron, then slam into a ripping hot oven.

Pretty solid tbh. Reminds me of a cracker crust/thin crust pizza.

Next time I'm gonna try a high protein dough recipe I found.

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing fancy, but damn that hit the spot.

Leftover rice
Roasted sweet potato
Roasted red onion
Chipotle garlic seasoning blend
Leftover black-peppered bacon
Fried egg (Could have been crispier...still learning the new stove)
Spicy BBQ sauce
Pickled red onion

View attachment 114229

That looks bangin.

I love when a mix of random (not normally combined) ingredients works well. Some people call it hash I suppose.

Extra credit for the pickled red onions 👨‍🍳

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That looks bangin.

I love when a mix of random (not normally combined) ingredients works well. Some people call it hash I suppose.

Extra credit for the pickled red onions 👨‍🍳

If I had to rank favorite food types, within the top 3 I would include "fusion" burritos like those often found in the local food trucks. A flavorful meat, a crispy potato product (though usually hash browns or fries), rice, some sort of garlic component (either garlic rice, or a garlicy sauce), a sauce, and runny fried egg, all wrapped up in a tortilla. Usually Korean or Filipino fusion. That bowl was an attempt to sort of replicate some of those flavors with seasoned sweet potato, bacon, and the garlic-y BBQ sauce.

1663203134578.png 1663203316724.png 1663203519693.png

Last edited:

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
If I had to rank favorite food types, within the top 3 I would include "fusion" burritos like those often found in the local food trucks. A flavorful meat, a crispy potato product (though usually hash browns or fries), rice, some sort of garlic component (either garlic rice, or a garlicy sauce), a sauce, and runny fried egg, all wrapped up in a tortilla. Usually Korean or Filipino fusion. That bowl was an attempt to sort of replicate some of those flavors with seasoned sweet potato, bacon, and the garlic-y BBQ sauce.

View attachment 114269 View attachment 114270 View attachment 114271

I'm already starving because I'm in the woods, buy my stomach went wild when I scrolled down.

And yah, what you described is fantastic. Some food trucks chefs nail flavor like it's nobodies business, and it is just mind boggling.

broj15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ate it before I could take pics but just whipped up some solid vegan friendly nachos. Just standard nacho toppings (salsa, fresh jalapeno, guacamole) but the "secret" is the nacho cheese sauce. Roasted butternut squash (sub acorn squash if you can't get butternut), and then put it in a *strong* blender with your choice of dairy free milk, salt, pepper, (alot) nutritional yeast, and a dash of apple cider vinegar for the tangy cheese flavor. Add in whatever other seasonings you like to adjust the spice level. I usually go with paprika, cumin, ground hatch chili's, chili powder, chili flakes if you like it spicy, garlic powder, and onion powder. Taste just like "ball park" nacho cheese if you can get the seasoning blend right. When I make it I usually do a big batch of cheese sauce to put over noodles so I have a super hardy Mac n cheese for my meal prep for the week.

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well I was gonna make carne en su jugo, but the grocery store was out of scallions.