What are you cooking right now?

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love making homemade kimchi. It’s just hard to get good stuff at a store, and you get complete control over how soft or firm you like it. How long do you it ferment? I like about 5 days depending on the heat of the room it’s stored in.

I agree, it's also so much fun to make and you get the whole delayed gratification of watching it go. I left it on the counter for about 10 days before I moved it to the fridge, been slowly munching on it since. I like it good and stinky. We used salted kelp instead of shrimp and julienne cut turnip in addition to the usual suspects.

It is both saltier and spicier than the last batch, which was not spicy or salty enough. All in all a very successful batch. Hard to beat the stuff from the asian grocery, though.

I just started eating some of the purple kraut, it's perfect. The green will keep fermenting through the new year.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Grilled seabass with some secret seasonings, rainbow chard, and sautéed fancy mushrooms (not the psilocybin kind).

FE669-BC0-D65-D-4-F2-D-9-D02-E8-E7210157-DE.jpg

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Red Dog Toast. Imagine a savory French toast, where you still use eggs, but replace the milk with tomato soup, replace sugar with salt, replace cinnamon with paprika.

Now make a grilled cheese with it.

View attachment 109303

Whoah man. Mind blown.

In return I present you with this artery clogger that I make about once a year: eggs-in-a-basket grilled cheese, best fully loaded with a couple types of cheese, avocado and whatever else.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Reuben-style strip steak with homemade kraut (gotta be almost 10 months on this ferment and wow it's good!), homemade russian dressing, and wild greens from my yard (chickweed and lamb's quarter)

10/10, it was even too salty just like a real reuben

I topped it with monterey jack because I didn't have any swiss, the jack disappeared in all the strong flavors and I forgot it was even there. swiss would've been nice but the cheese overall seemed unnecessary.

I don't eat steak super often, but I can't pass up a good deal on marked down protein so I end up with these packs of cheap, nearly-expired strip steaks. Well, I've taken to dry brining them and holy shit I don't think I'll ever buy expensive steak again. I've made 4 or 5 since I started dry brining and they've each been the best steak I've ever had. I just keep them frozen and thaw out one at a time a couple days before I plan to eat it, brine it up and let it hang out in the fridge until it's time.

8F08E50D-61F2-44BD-8675-096BD5DDA98E.jpeg

How about some homemade peach ice cream with some brown sugar vanilla whupped cream?

2F4F6840-1BA0-4E8C-8799-86F1DE2B69BF.jpg

1B09F901-1211-41A8-82BA-113ACBEFDDB1.jpg

4747D914-6A96-4C94-931A-8C75DC84BB23.jpg

B4EA25E5-3A4F-440A-8604-EBACEAC84565.jpg

Pictures do not do it justice. It was out of this world.

I am lactose intolerant and I still want this.

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Reuben-style strip steak with homemade kraut (gotta be almost 10 months on this ferment and wow it's good!), homemade russian dressing, and wild greens from my yard (chickweed and lamb's quarter)

I topped it with monterey jack because I didn't have any swiss, the jack disappeared in all the strong flavors and I forgot it was even there. swiss would've been nice but the cheese overall seemed unnecessary.

I don't eat steak super often, but I can't pass up a good deal on marked down protein so I end up with these packs of cheap, nearly-expired strip steaks. Well, I've taken to dry brining them and holy shit I don't think I'll ever buy expensive steak again. I've made 4 or 5 since I started dry brining and they've each been the best steak I've ever had. I just keep them frozen and thaw out one at a time a couple days before I plan to eat it, brine it up and let it hang out in the fridge until it's time.

View attachment 109507

I am lactose intolerant and I still want this.

Me too! But I’ll definitely be hitting that shit again tonight.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score

That looks absolutely delicious.

I love steak but even before everything started going up in price, a good cut of steak was ridiculous ( like $20+ per lb) so I pretty much stopped buying steak altogether. We just couldn't afford it anymore.

But earlier this year I found these 'pre-tenderized top round' steaks that are fairly thin... maybe 1/2". But they're super cheap... like a nice sized portion for $5. And they're actually really good! I cook them on the stove-top in a skillet and set the flame on high adding a little kosher salt, cracked black pepper, and butter. It crackles and sizzles as soon as it hits the pan. Within maybe 2-3 minutes it's ready to flip. Cook the other side for another 2-3 mins and it's done. It gives it a nice light char on both sides but the middle is still med-rare to med and quite tender, just the way I like it.

I then add sauteed mushrooms and a veg or potato side and it's wonderful. It certainly ain't no porterhouse or tomahawk but the flavor is great and for only about five bucks, it's doable anytime the craving hits.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Summer is def the time for some antipasto salad. Cooked the pasta so I guess it qualifies to be here.

Pasta
Fresh Manzanilla olives, black olives, garlic, dill, Italian parsley, basil, celery, greenhouse tomato, cucumber, red bell pepper, crushed white sesame seeds, and red onion
Dried marjoram, rosemary, thyme, sage plus salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder
Pepperoni
Caesar dressing
Grated Parmesan cheese

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not "right now", but last night. We used to subscribe to a couple different meal delivery services, ones where you got the whole raw ingredients and make the recipe yourself. Loved the concept and loved a lot of the food, but hated the packaging waste. But, we kept a bunch of the recipe cards and this is probably the one we have re-made the most: cured sumac chicken, with an arugula and Israeli couscous, with a honey lemon sauce/dressing.

Screenshot_20220626-135232_Gallery.jpg