What are you cooking right now?

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Although this barely qualifies to be in a "cooking" thread, figured I'd post.

Anytime throughout the Texas summers that I can keep from turning on the oven is a good thing, so tonight was chicken salad sandwiches. I typically like to change up this dish with walnuts, sesame seeds, cucumber, tomato, grapes, apples, etc... but unfortunately I didn't have much in the fridge this time around.

I started with about a lb/ approx 454g of chicken tenders and threw 'em in the Crockpot with some chicken bullion, sage, rosemary, thyme, garlic, and celery seed. Set it on slow for about 4 hours. When it was almost falling apart tender and oh-so-flavorful, I chopped up the veggies... white onion, celery, parsley, and red/ green bell pepper. Then I added in some dill, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. After the chicken was chopped up ( some chunk/ some shred) then it was time to add the binder. I used a combination of mayonnaise and a very small amt of Miracle Whip, course brown mustard, and Italian dressing. Pays to be very mindful of not adding too much of any one ingredient so that the end result is an even blend of flavors... no one ingredient should be distinguishable.

So that's it... served on toast with some lightly salted thin potato chips on the side.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Finished up my temperature regulator for the grill and it works great. Was able to hit a BBQ temp of 408 degrees F, which was high enough to do some pizzas!

IMG_09082020_201824_(1300_x_1000_pixel).jpg IMG_09082020_201815_(1300_x_1000_pixel).jpg IMG_09082020_201846_(1300_x_1000_pixel).jpg

Homemade sourdough crust, homemade sauce from tomatoes from my garden, fresh mozzarella, goat cheese, Artichoke hearts, EVOO, and Basil from my garden.

This is literally the best thing I have ever cooked.

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
prosciutto and pepperoni pizza. mix of mozzarella, jack and cheddar. Homemade sauce (san marzanos with garlic/onion/oregano). Got the onion and garlic from a buddy who grew them. Drizzle of sriracha because it's pretty and pairs well with pizza.
I usually make the dough but I was being lazy and used a premade crust. Still damn good.
20200916_061843.jpg

Dumple Stilzkin

Tom foolery is my middle name.
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread for this. I'm sure a lot of us cook or bake or grill or smoke. Let's share some pictures!

Last weekend I made some Bajan-inspired hot sauce. I tweaked the recipe by adding garlic and also smoking all my veggies before blending.

Came out absolutely amazing. SO flavorful.

View attachment 82824 View attachment 82825 View attachment 82826 View attachment 82827
That looks amazing. I make my own as well, roasting or smoking your vegetables is nice. I don’t always do it. One year I made homemade red jalapeño hot sauce, and fermented it. That was the best I had ever made.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
That looks amazing. I make my own as well, roasting or smoking your vegetables is nice. I don’t always do it. One year I made homemade red jalapeño hot sauce, and fermented it. That was the best I had ever made.
I've been wanting to try fermenting my peppers, but last time i tried I didn't sanitize well enough and got mold.

Dumple Stilzkin

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try fermenting my peppers, but last time i tried I didn't sanitize well enough and got mold.
Yeah, you gotta watch for that. I put a cover on mine (paper towel and rubber band). The garlic, salt and hot peppers should keep that stuff at bay. How long did you ferment it? You can go quite a while. I found I liked the taste best at about the two week mark.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Yeah, you gotta watch for that. I put a cover on mine (paper towel and rubber band). The garlic, salt and hot peppers should keep that stuff at bay. How long did you ferment it? You can go quite a while. I found I liked the taste best at about the two week mark.

I don't quite remember, but it was less than two weeks.

Honestly it may not have molded, but there was some kind of stringiness in there that I wasn't sure what it was, so I opted for the safe approach and binned the whole thing.

Dumple Stilzkin

Reaction score
I don't quite remember, but it was less than two weeks.

Honestly it may not have molded, but there was some kind of stringiness in there that I wasn't sure what it was, so I opted for the safe approach and binned the whole thing.
Yeah. Food poisoning isn’t worth it.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
So good and very simple. If you like pizza but want to spin it a bit differently then give these homemade pizza rolls a try...

> 16 oz biscuit dough ( quan = 8)
> 3 oz pepperoni slices
> 4 oz fresh mozzarella ( Belgioioso, Galbani, or Frigo are all good)
> 1 c shredded pizza cheese ( or shredded Asiago, Romano, etc)
> 1 oz grated Parmesan cheese
> 4 tbsp salted or unsalted butter
> several cloves fresh garlic ( minced)

Cut the biscuits in half ( will make 16 pizza rolls total) and press dough into thin discs
Cube the fresh mozzarella and place with pepperoni onto dough
Sprinkle a little pizza cheese in there as well
Roll 'em up into little balls. However that works best... up to you
Place all 16 balls onto cast-iron skillet ( you can use a little PAM or oil in skillet first ( I use avocado oil)
Melt butter and minced garlic in microwave for a few seconds then brush onto tops of pizza rolls ( I actually use a fork)
Then sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and the remaining pizza cheese
Pop the skillet into a preheated ( 350* f) oven and bake for approx 30-35 mins.
Serve with warm marinara or ranch... or nothing because they're just that good. Enjoy!

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Trying to get to that 200g requirement from the protein thread:

CA474-CCD-47-E9-4-DF2-8805-6877791-F662-B.jpg

F2674637-8-D27-47-F5-B0-E0-E101049767-CC.jpg

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
Trying to get to that 200g requirement from the protein thread:

CA474-CCD-47-E9-4-DF2-8805-6877791-F662-B.jpg

F2674637-8-D27-47-F5-B0-E0-E101049767-CC.jpg

Nice! Asparagus is a standby pairing with steak for me, too. It's hard to hit the protein count consistently! I'm trying to do about 170-180g right now a day, using whey to help supplement it.

About to make steak tonight with baked potato wedges~ if they turn out not looking completely unappetizing I'll try to get a picture.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have four yuge farmer's market cabbages that are going to become sauerkraut. Two green that I'll probably do with jalapeños or anaheims, and two red that I'll do with red beets and maybe chili pepper. I did the green with dill last time and it was fine but could've used more zazz. I will probably add garlic to both this time, as well.

Last time I let it sit for 6 months and wow it was good. I also made the best damn horseradish I've ever had by fermenting a ~1:1 mixture of grated horseradish root and grated parsnip. I'm not Jewish but it's a traditional passover dish and was coincidentally done right around that time. Ruined Beaver, Atomic brand etc forever.

I'd like to do kimchi again as well, though that's a little more involved. I made some with a friend last fall and we did not make enough. I'd also like to try fermenting hot sauces but haven't gotten there yet.

I do most of my ferments in old Adam's peanut butter jars, weigh everything down with ziplocs full of brine, and check for floaties/knock down veg matter daily. No issues so far. I have thought about ordering those glass jar weights but they're sized for mason jars which are a little narrower than Adams jars and I'm not convinced they wouldn't be worse than the ziplocs for that reason.

The kimchi I did in a giant kimchi jar from the asian grocery store. I still have the jar and the leftover juice from last year in my fridge, I still dredge out carrot and celery shreds sometimes for salads. Gonna let it keep rolling.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
As promised, a bunch of stinky rotten cabbage. Today they're all almost done bubbling, once they stop overflowing I'll take the weights out, top them up with brine, lid them loosely and let them get good and rotten until about January, except the kimchi which I'll probably start eating very soon. Once they stop bubbling I find a nice dense salt brine is enough to keep the floaties down.

We made the kimchi with salted seaweed instead of salted brine shrimp. That jar has had a couple batches in it now, and the leftover sludge has gotten recombined each time so it's multi-generational and extra stanky. We made about twice the amount pictured, my ladyfriend took the rest home in three large jars, as well as a few smaller jars of kraut.

The krauts are purple cabbage, red beets, ginger, and garlic on the left, and then green, lime, dill, and garlic on the right. The cabbage and beets are from the local farmer's market. The purple kraut was delicious fresh and it's only better each day, I'll try to let it go for a while but likely won't be able to resist. The green is very sweet and I prefer to let my little nasty pals eat lots of the sugars before I start digging in.

Also my entire house smells like delicious rotten cabbage. I wake up at night craving kimchi.

244654261_2957889794476003_8419319691857075982_n.jpg

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
As promised, a bunch of stinky rotten cabbage. Today they're all almost done bubbling, once they stop overflowing I'll take the weights out, top them up with brine, lid them loosely and let them get good and rotten until about January, except the kimchi which I'll probably start eating very soon. Once they stop bubbling I find a nice dense salt brine is enough to keep the floaties down.

We made the kimchi with salted seaweed instead of salted brine shrimp. That jar has had a couple batches in it now, and the leftover sludge has gotten recombined each time so it's multi-generational and extra stanky. We made about twice the amount pictured, my ladyfriend took the rest home in three large jars, as well as a few smaller jars of kraut.

The krauts are purple cabbage, red beets, ginger, and garlic on the left, and then green, lime, dill, and garlic on the right. The cabbage and beets are from the local farmer's market. The purple kraut was delicious fresh and it's only better each day, I'll try to let it go for a while but likely won't be able to resist. The green is very sweet and I prefer to let my little nasty pals eat lots of the sugars before I start digging in.

Also my entire house smells like delicious rotten cabbage. I wake up at night craving kimchi.

I spent way too long thinking you were pickling rocks.

Dumple Stilzkin

Reaction score
I've been cooking quite a bit recently and trying new recipes and some funky foods. I wanted to share a recipe I found for my fellow garlic lovers. When I saw say garlic lovers I really mean it. It's called Toum (tow-em). The primary ingredient is garlic, and it's a very creamy Middle Eastern sauce made of garlic, oil, lemon juice, and salt. It's a bit of a slow process because you are making an emulsification of the ingredients. But the results are worth it, I made this as a way to help myself detox from the heavy recreational drinking that's gone down the past few years. It is most certainly speeding up the process. But I have to stop myself from eating too much of it, other wise as someone put it 'you stink.' So if you do make it, use about a healthy teaspoon at a time to avoid it as much. https://feelgoodfoodie.net/recipe/lebanese-garlic-sauce/

I made it for the first time and I used wanted to use a healthier oil than canola so I went with avocado oil and it turned out heavenly. You can put it on damn near anything, mix with mayo for a sandwich, mix with other sauces for a punchy dip, two days ago I was dipping my pizza crust in it straight and that was damn fine. I made a BLT and used it mixed with mayo and it was better than what you’d get at a restaurant. You're really only limited by your imagination here.

Last edited:

Dumple Stilzkin

Reaction score

I love making homemade kimchi. It’s just hard to get good stuff at a store, and you get complete control over how soft or firm you like it. How long do you it ferment? I like about 5 days depending on the heat of the room it’s stored in.