What are you cooking right now?

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't know what it's called so I'll just list the ingredients.

-yellow onion
-celery
-carrot
-parsnips
-kale
-chicken
-garlic
-ginger
-tumeric
-full-fat coconut milk

It was outstanding. It needs to simmer a little longer but it's going to be even better tomorrow.

FA472FA3-29EB-407B-B706-ECB4CE8968CB.jpg

D50E1D1E-971A-4BDA-8FC6-F9C6AF6E6170.jpg

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
I don't know what it's called so I'll just list the ingredients.

-yellow onion
-celery
-carrot
-parsnips
-kale
-chicken
-garlic
-ginger
-tumeric
-full-fat coconut milk

It was outstanding. It needs to simmer a little longer but it's going to be even better tomorrow.

FA472FA3-29EB-407B-B706-ECB4CE8968CB.jpg

D50E1D1E-971A-4BDA-8FC6-F9C6AF6E6170.jpg
Beautiful presentation. Looks delicious. I’m a huge fan of simple ingredients but big flavor.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
So I made more focaccia dough, split it in two and making pizza. I’ll post final results when finished. Before and after 2nd proofing. Two hours but could certainly went longer but I’m hungry

Attachments

• A2E13B56-79DA-4171-9000-3C3D113BEE4A.jpeg
    A2E13B56-79DA-4171-9000-3C3D113BEE4A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • E27D565F-4AC6-4534-B430-914F373FB5D2.jpeg
    E27D565F-4AC6-4534-B430-914F373FB5D2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Haven't been cooking much lately...partly school, partly stress...But, a day or two ago I made a thai(ish) chicken coconut milk lemongrass curry soup with mushrooms, carrot, fresh baby corn, jalapeno and lime. Served over rice. Was pretty darn good. The soup cooked with a bundle of cilantro that got fishes out after cooking, but I feel like it needed cilantro garnish.

20221206_221413.jpg

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh, and I got my first dutch oven today! 6qt, enameled cast iron, round, with an oven-safe lid.

Looking forward to baking bread in it very soon.

What should be my first meal cooked in it? Something with a super high result vs effort ratio. Any suggestions?

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh, and I got my first dutch oven today! 6qt, enameled cast iron, round, with an oven-safe lid.

Looking forward to baking bread in it very soon.

What should be my first meal cooked in it? Something with a super high result vs effort ratio. Any suggestions?

A Dutch baby pancake.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Goddamn it.

Started making the bread dough. Before I added the yeast, I thought, "Since this is my last packet, I wonder how much time it has left on it?" Expired 8/4/2021.

Tried proofing some in some warm water, and...nothing. It's dead. No bread.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Goddamn it.

Started making the bread dough. Before I added the yeast, I thought, "Since this is my last packet, I wonder how much time it has left on it?" Expired 8/4/2021.

Ooof been there! The only thing I’ve made in a cast iron Dutch oven was chili over an open camp fire. I bet there are good cookbooks for Dutch ovens

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ooof been there! The only thing I’ve made in a cast iron Dutch oven was chili over an open camp fire. I bet there are good cookbooks for Dutch ovens

Oh, for sure. I only really have 3 goals, so NYT and r/duthovencooking are "good enough" for me, at least until I've got some practice with it:
1. Bread
2. Chicken thigh biryani
3. Something super beefy, maybe shortrib or something, cooked for hours and reduced/super rich, with tons of dark brown stuck to the sides that gets deglazed into a sauce.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Anyone else into Japanese knives? I’m afraid I’m going to dive into another rabbit hole. I want to get a nice Nakiri

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone else into Japanese knives? I’m afraid I’m going to dive into another rabbit hole. I want to get a nice Nakiri
I'd like to, but I just don't have the patience/time/money/space to invest in the sharpening. Unless you keep them sharp, I can't justify their worth over an inexpensive (but similar geometry) knife that I pay $6 to sharpen at the van in the parking lot of the grocery store once or twice a year.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Today's lunch: Maple Gochujang Wings. A slight bit over-cooked on the glaze (it's less over-cooked in person than it looks in this photo). I forgot I was out of soy sauce and had to use potsticker sauce which already had sugar, but I had already started mixing the garlic powder, maple syrup, and honey, so I went with it...it was extra sweet, and extra-likely to burn. But, very tasty! Needed....hmm...maybe something green...maybe a little lime? Maybe some finely chopped scallions? Ooh! Grated lime zest!

1670794317566.png

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd like to, but I just don't have the patience/time/money/space to invest in the sharpening. Unless you keep them sharp, I can't justify their worth over an inexpensive (but similar geometry) knife that I pay $6 to sharpen at the van in the parking lot of the grocery store once or twice a year.

I've been dragging ass on keeping mine sharpened, but while I can't comment on compared to an equal quality normal knife, after like 6 months they're still sharper than anything before the I should get I nice knife price point.

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm working on a batch of gumbo because we have a Christmas potluck coming up and gotta make sure I have it down.

gumbo.jpg

It's one of those things that triggers the shit out of my wife, because she's a very by the recipe person, and the only things I measured was a whole package of andoullie and half a pack of chicken thighs.

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Goddamn it.

Finally...

Even a plain, basic no-knead bread with the cheapest flour and yeast is so goddammit good...

20221216_225827.jpg

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanksgiving "leftover" sandwich.

"Leftover" is in quotes because nothing was actually leftovers. Ha! It was either made just for this (bread, cranberry sauce, bacon), pre-made (turkey), or freshly-made but from a box (stuffing).

Fresh-made, one-hour-old wheat bread
Thin sliced herb-seasoned deli turkey
Stove Top turkey stuffing
Black peppered bacon
Fresh spiced cranberry/apple sauce
Swiss cheese
Sharp cheddar cheese
Dijon mustard
Mayo

...and a partridge in a pear tree. Then pressed in a panini sandwich grill.

20221224_232211.jpg 20221224_232853.jpg

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Thanksgiving "leftover" sandwich.

"Leftover" is in quotes because nothing was actually leftovers. Ha! It was either made just for this (bread, cranberry sauce, bacon), pre-made (turkey), or freshly-made but from a box (stuffing).

Fresh-made, one-hour-old wheat bread
Thin sliced herb-seasoned deli turkey
Stove Top turkey stuffing
Black peppered bacon
Fresh spiced cranberry/apple sauce
Swiss cheese
Sharp cheddar cheese
Dijon mustard
Mayo

...and a partridge in a pear tree. Then pressed in a panini sandwich grill.

View attachment 118744 View attachment 118745
I sure hope it’s freshly made because Thanksgiving was a month ago!

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Second try at bread looked a little nicer...but I realized I used active dry yeast instead of instant, so the tiny amount I used couldn't overcome the whole wheat flour i added to the mix this time, and the loaf ended up pretty flat.

Next time I either need to use way more yeast, or buy another package, instant this time. The Active Dry is what my fococcia recipe calls for, though, so maybe I'll just use more of it instead of having two kinds hanging around.

This time, instead of dusting it with all appeared flour, I subbed in some masa harina (think something in between corn flour and cornmeal). Smelled lovely when baking, but didn't add much. After I get a couple more successful loaves under my belt, maybe I'll pick up some cornmeal, or maybe semolina.

Screenshot_20221225-054909_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20221225-054922_Gallery.jpg

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
L
Second try at bread looked a little nicer...but I realized I used active dry yeast instead of instant, so the tiny amount I used couldn't overcome the whole wheat flour i added to the mix this time, and the loaf ended up pretty flat.

Next time I either need to use way more yeast, or buy another package, instant this time. The Active Dry is what my fococcia recipe calls for, though, so maybe I'll just use more of it instead of having two kinds hanging around.

This time, instead of dusting it with all appeared flour, I subbed in some masa harina (think something in between corn flour and cornmeal). Smelled lovely when baking, but didn't add much. After I get a couple more successful loaves under my belt, maybe I'll pick up some cornmeal, or maybe semolina.

View attachment 118755 View attachment 118756

Looks good! My wife me some bread baking stuff. I have to expand from focaccia lol