What’s your current fav tuning?

bloodocean

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Only your fav and why.

Me: C standard and it’s a new thing. I’ve been playing D#/A# on 6/7 forever and also D standard on 6, which is nice.

But C has this mojo. I’ve done plenty of drop C but C standard just feels and sound better. The vibes in the wood, the air moving off the speakers, it’s nice.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
anything, so long as it's in tune the higher vibrational frequencies of the holographic 5-D universe, man

DZtjKYkW4AUl2He.jpg

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What are Fairbanks mosquitos tuned to? Serious question.

Serious answer: I don't know, but last summer I brought my grandpas guitars on top of one of the nearby domes and saw some crazy shit. So there I was, minding my own business finger pickin' to the sunset, when all of a sudden I looked up and noticed that

1. There were tens of thousands of mosquitoes swarming the 40' radio antenna above me and
2. The entire swarm was "bouncing" in time, or perhaps more accurately, in reaction to the sound waves from the guitar. This "bounce" would roll through the swarm like a wave to the top of the antenna.

This experience led me down a deep rabbit hole of (trying to understand) studies involving sound and insect swarm/bird flocking behaviors which ultimately made me wish I understood math better. Either way it was a singular experience that gave me a good solid W T F ? moment.

Zhysick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Right now? E standard or Drop D because I am in a "not so metal" mood lately... but before C# standard has always been my favorite.

akinari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
CFA#D#GCD# on the 7 and, believe it or not, standard on the 6. GDGCEAC and a heinous D1 tuning too

Winspear

Tom Winspear
Reaction score
Something somewhat like this, but I combine it with fifths tuning. So my strings are tuned in fifths like CGDAEB but not in strict ascending order, with a squished together portion for cluster chords. It's beautiful and I haven't been able to do without it since trying it just over 2 years ago.

Here is a good Frank Gambale video too that can't be embedded

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
BEADF# B because of Entombed. Plus I can drop the B down to F# when I want to noodle around with Neurosis/Mastodon inspired riffs

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Drop A because you can basically play anything on it.

And the things you can't... Well, let's just say I don't give a damn about them :lol:

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
D standard for me as it's the easiest tuning for me to sing in.

But I keep my 7 string at drop 1/2 step down since that's what my skervesen came as. I may drop it down. I'm not sure how my 5 string bass will take that to match. It's already a little floppy and i cant' fit any heavier of a string gauge on it. (i've tried)

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
I've played in B standard since the 90's, so thats home. First with sixes, then sevens.
But as of late, I've been tuning my sixes to match the low six strings of a seven, so that transitioning between them is easier. BEADGb.

narojo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
1 in Standard
1 in Eb
1 in Drop C
1 tuned DADGAD but lower
1 in Drop A

I played bass once in a band that was doing 8s and had a bunch of different tunings. I kept a 4 string in C Standard and I was able to play everything lol. They got pissed because they couldn't read my fretboard.

SamSam

GAS problems
Reaction score
C# standard on my 26.5" and 27" sevens. I was always in standard up until last year when I was in a bit of a rut and thought I would try out a sharp tuning.

I was learning A Home by Rivers Of Nihil and it just stuck. I can play all the same boring shapes as usual but they sound fresh again! :lol: