Wall/ceiling surface for music room/studio

MIL8

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Were going to be building a house soon, I have a 13x11' space that is going to be my office/music room where I would like the ability to do some recording as well. Is there a wall surface that I can install that is somewhat similar in price to drywall (or not too much more expensive) that will also look nice and be more sound absorbent than drywall? I plan on carpet for the floor, any particular type that is better than others?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
It really depends on budget, but for the ceiling you could have fabric covered rockwool or Corning 703 panels put in. That would essentially make your ceiling a bass trap which would cut down a lot of flutter echo. As far as walls, the same treatment would likely be your best bet. A space that small from what I have read will not benefit much from any diffusion due to the short throw between the panels that would be there.

I am of the opinion that for a room that size it may be best to have it acoustically “dead” vs fighting with diffusers and such. Reverb can be added to recordings but if you’re using real mics, there’s not much you can do to get rid of bad acoustics, IMO.

Another cool thing about rockwool is that it is insulation you’d likely want anyway, and it’s naturally fire retardant.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Is your priority hear acoustically deadening the room, or stopping bleed from inside the room outside and vice versa?

The latter is extremely hard to do and expensive as hell.

The former, well... I'd say you don't need the ENTIRE room to be covered in OC703. Trapping major reflection points and the corners ought to do a pretty good job of controlling reflections at a much lower cost.

MIL8

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is your priority hear acoustically deadening the room, or stopping bleed from inside the room outside and vice versa?

The latter is extremely hard to do and expensive as hell.

The former, well... I'd say you don't need the ENTIRE room to be covered in OC703. Trapping major reflection points and the corners ought to do a pretty good job of controlling reflections at a much lower cost.
Priority is deadening the room, I am going to insulate the walls surrounding the room as well.

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
I stuffed tons of rockwool mineral wool in my floors and ceilings when I had my extra room remodeled to a music room. Along with a new solid core door with new heavy duty threshold. When the door is closed I can play my tube amps really loud and only hear it bassy in one part of the house in the guest bathroom. It works incredibly well. Of course, I still need to put up the acoustic treatment I've got (Auralex roominator kit) as all walls & ceiling are still your basic primed & painted drywall. To fix the other problem of acoustic ringing/reflections.

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
*rockwool mineral wool in the floors, walls, and ceilings... not sure how I missed that! 🤣 ugh too late to edit that one.