Used Legator 8 Ninja.. Worth it?

Bird

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I don't play 7 or 8 string, but I'm looking to try something new to shake things up. Locally there's what looks to be an older model Ninja 8 in white. It looks like all the new models are fan fret and this one is not. Can anyone tell me anything about these guitars? He's asking $500 Cdn.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
What year? Pre 2020? Probably not. Post 2020? Put it in your hands, could be quite good.
I just took a gamble on a Legator Ninja 8 fan fret that I have been eying. The 26.5 - 28" fan is the biggest selling point for me. As long as the frets aren't bad, I figure I can work with it. I guess I will update with an NGD post next week!

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I cannot comment on the older or lower cost Legator guitars. I did get the N8FX yesterday and let it acclimate overnight before opening the box. The "setup" from the shop was done by someone not familiar with low tunings, but that was an easy fix since I keep my guitar tech tools handy.

Overall the specs are great. As an RGD player, I am used to 26.5" scales, so this Legator being 26.5 - 28" feels awesome tuning a half-step down to F. The neck feels good; this one is wenge, neck through, and ebony fretboard fitted. The neck is not too thick or too wide. Granted, I have been playing 7s for years and played many 8s, even a couple of 9s while working as a guitar tech.

The Fishman pickups and overall electronics are solid, no issues. The fretwork seems good, not to the point of my guitars that had been through a Plek, and not as smooth as PRS or Prestige Ibanez guitars, but still at least up to expectations for a solid Korean import.

The finish is really well done; no imperfections, just expected variation from the burl top.

Does anyone know if Bird pulled the trigger on the 8 string he was viewing?

Attachments

• Legator N8fx ruby 222812.jpg
    Legator N8fx ruby 222812.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 14