US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Yup, that guy.

I mean, I fucking love that novel as much as the next person, Nabokov is a genius... but in spite of and not because of the subject matter. I guess it's a good thing this guy's letting it all hang out like that? Like, if you're a 14 year old girl getting onto Lolita One, and you don't know what's coming, well, actually, you're probably not well enough read to be on guard at that age anyway.

Fucking slimeball though, and evidently totally unabashed.

2. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

So which banned member are you?

4. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Somehow I feel like Trump defending Acosta right now is a terrible move.

5. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

I debated at least three people over the last two days who said Acosta was on the chopping block and I said you clearly don't know Trump's brand. Not saying Acosta stays (from what I heard his defense was very flaccid) but the bulk of Trump supporters I know err on the side of 'suspension of disbelief' as long as he denies it. At a minimum he doesn't like having his hand forced on his firings, so even with the most egregious complaints against the guy, he'll probably wait a few weeks/months and quietly transition him out. And even that's a big 'if'

6. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

Yeah, I've got the same thing on my end. So far it seems the best defense Trump has in all of this is that he helped the victim's lawyer back in '09 and the lawyer stated as much. I haven't paid much attention, but I wonder if the bit about banning Epstein started popping up during Trump's campaign?

I can verify that he's not a banned member.

7. RevDrucifer

RevDrucifer SS.org Regular

No, man, it's 4D chess. Trump picked Acosta so he could flush him out of the swamp himself.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Holy shit, best post in this thread in weeks. :lol:

The caveat, though, is sometimes he DOES just do it. Flynn comes to mind, as does Ryan Zinke. Probably a few more I'm just not thinking about at the moment. The pattern seems to be that he'll fight it as long as he can, but then hits a point where he sees the writing on the wall and decides to "act decisively." So, Acosta could ride this out for a long time and then quietly step down to "spend more time with his family" or something, in a year's time, or inside of two weeks Trump could demand and accept his resignation and act outraged for Acosta's having "hidden" his role from him. And then sort of imply that he's related to Jim Acosta or something, because Trump.

9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

That's called "swamping the drain".

10. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    I'm liking how people who previously pretended to be concerned about cis females being put at a disadvantage competing in sports against the transgendered, now clearly could not care less about the even greater disadvantages of being raped underage girls. It's just another case of when someone shows you who they genuinely are, I suppose.

I personally find that apathy horrifying, but carry on!

11. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

What if I'm concerned about both?

I'm concerned about the safety of cis women in combat sports with transgendered opponents. Running and such, not concerned about, simply unsupportive of competition between the two, at least not if it is a gender-specific event. There really have been too many proven advantages, and regardless that I believe all people should feel happy and safe in the skin they have, and should have the right to adjust their bodies in any way if they believe it will make them feel more true to themselves, I do believe there are sizable differences in strength and endurance between people's birth genders and the genders they may feel best suit them as human beings.

I also deeply care about the safety and mental well-being of all women of all ages, and believe that, although we cannot prevent all rape, which is a very depressing thought in itself, that victims should be de-stigmatized and encouraged to seek out help and support from the community and professionals. I also believe in free treatment for victims of rape. I believe all cases should be investigated and prosecuted thoroughly.

So not all people who believe in one and not the other are atrocious. I'm dead-center politically, so while I might believe something from either side of the road, my reasoning may be different, or the representation of the issue might be wrong in my eyes.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  12. Ralyks

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

In other news, someone evidently told Trump that trying to bypass the Supreme Court via executive order was a bad idea, and he blinked on the citizenship question on the Census.

14. Ralyks

15. Ralyks

16. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Revisiting this, the last I saw (this morning) Trump was saying he DIDN'T tell Acosta do resign. Weird.

17. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

"I'm not saying you need to resign...but it would be a shame if my friends, Rudy and Bugsy, were to come over with their baseball bats, and..."

18. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Quiet news week, for Trump - right now he's tripling down on his "go back to the countries you're from" tweets directed at non-white, US-born women in Congress and going all "I know you are but what am I?" to the chorus of people calling him a racist pig, while the child rapist his now-departed Labor Secretary gave a slap-on-the-list deal to is being arraigned for child sex trafficking charges on public television, Trump himself is threatening to investigate Google for "treason," and meanwhile the market just rolled over because he also re-threatened to impose another $350B in tariffs on Chinese imports.

May we live in interesting times, indeed. :lol:

19. Ralyks

It's confusing on the left too. First AOC calling Pelosi racist, and it's the Squad vs the rest of the Dems, then Trump triples down on being racist towards THEM and supposedly unites the left and even a few Republicans got pissed at Trump, but the left uniting plays into Trumps hand because it will make AOC and The Squad the face of the left which NO ONE wants, but it may favor Pelosi because of a United front.....

Are we in government auto chess now?

20. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

In other Trump news, he is currently ranked as tied with Andrew Johnson (who stated that "African-Americans were incapable of self-government and relapsed into barbarism if they weren’t closely supervised") as the most racist US president ever.

Yay for us.

vilk likes this.