US Political Discussion: Trump Administration Edition (Rules in OP)

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by mongey, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

It's not exactly a quick process. The Liberal Party was elected in Canada in 2015 in no small part due to their promise of marijuana legalization. The official legalization date was 2 days shy of 3 years after the election, still less than a month ago on October 17th.

There was memes that day. So many memes.

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Vote early, vote often!

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Man, not to toot my own horn, but I think I'm a wizard.

Sub Walker for Gillum and it's pretty close.*

*Surprising on account of Walker taking a walk, but not that surprising that Florida is Florida.

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'd question two parts of that:

*I think the House majority is going to be robust enough to hold up. The Dems underperformed expectations, but only modestly - the median 538 forecast was a pickup of 39 seats, and they're trending towards 34-35. The House is about to be a major thorn in Trump's side, and his legislative agenda is essentially toast.
    *Trump has been trying to spin this as a win for the GOP. Everyone else is somewhere between "split decision" and "full on repudiation of Trump's agenda," pointing to the fact that while the GOP picked up seats in the senate, it was a historically bad map for the GOP and more Senate votes were cast for Democrats, by a wide margin, than republicans.

Otherwise, it went down basically exactly as expected; the Dems arguably underperformed expectations slightly, but made significant gains in the House and in state governorships, and staunched the worst of the bleeding in the Senate (AZ is looking increasinly likely to be a Dem pickup).

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Democrat won my district, and basically New York as a whole. Boy, do I have friends that are pissed about Cuomo.

6. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

"Democrats took back one, Republicans gained seats in the other. There's plenty of butt-hurt to go around."

7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

So Jeff Sessions just resigned.

EDIT: Or rather, forced to resign.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  8. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

9. spudmunkey

The whole letter would have been a heartfelt goodbye, appropriate for any one in that position...

...except for the "At your request" at the beginning.

Although, perhaps we're looking too deep into it. Perhaps he did it in person, and he was requested to submit a letter.

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Highly doubt that. Trump is skirting a legal requirement here - if he fired Sessions, control of the DoJ would pass to Rosenstein on an interim basis. If, however, Sessions resigned, then Trump would be able to name an interim AG pending Senate confirmation of a formal replacement. Don't expect Trump to nominate anyone any time soon.

StevenC likes this.
  11. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

It looks like Donald is a little on the defensive and perturbed by the election results. It looks like his time is coming soon...no more being above the law the way he thinks he is.

;>)/

JSanta, zappatton2 and narad like this.
  12. spudmunkey

Buy why? Didn't he just say yesterday that it was a big win for Republicans? Oh...wait...that's right. That was yesterday. Silly me.

BlackSG91 likes this.
  13. narad

narad SS.org Regular

He's tired of winning, so he's getting crankier.

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Public Service Announcement: If someone tries to rip something out of your hand, but you don't let go, that means you assaulted them.

15. spudmunkey

No, no...but if someone makes a doctored video where they speed up a section of it to make it LOOK like you karate-chopped their arm, when at normal speed it's clear you didn't, and it's shared by the Press Secretary as evidence/justification, *then* that means you assaulted them.

16. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Didn't vote sadly.
    They were letting all of the elderly cut the line before everyone (many who were on lunch breaks).
    My friend actually filed a complaint.

I understand being courteous but I draw the line when it affects the entire demographic of who gets to vote in the election.
    The voice of the retired was heard but the working class, not as much.

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

That's actually probably illegal - were there election monitors there? And what state was this in?

18. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Yeah, that’s weird. I let one of my servants go vote for me and they’re now saying SERVANTS have to be legally registered to vote, too! I mean, this fucker is from Guatemala or some shit and isn’t even legal so we dodged a bullet there, but I made a few phone calls and they were like “all right that’s fine Mr. Trump but just make sure he brings your ID next time.”

19. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

We figured it was illegal. I don't know if there were monitors there or not. My friend went before me and let me know the issue going on so I didn't waste my time going there since I couldn't leave work for long.

Alabama

20. spudmunkey

Another reason why election "day" is idiotic in 2018. Especially since it's not a national holiday, but that still may not be enough for those who work in the service industry.

I voted from my couch while watching Bob's Burgers, and then dropped it off on my way into work. I could have mailed it, but we have issues with the postal service in our area and wanted to make sure I did everything I could to make sure it counted, leaving little to chance.