US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
How the heck are you able to move out of the country? It's INCREDIBLY difficult unless you're willing to go to somewhere even worse or have parents/grandparents from a few specific countries. Or unless you're one of about 3-5 professions that are ever in demand elsewhere. Where are you going?

In most cases you're right. One option for Americans who can work remotely (which is quite a few fields now) is the Netherlands. The Dutch-American Friendship Treaty (DAFT) allows Americans to get a visa by starting a business in the Netherlands. A lot of countries have similar business/investment visas but DAFT is particularly attractive because the amount of money that the business has to "invest" (opening a business bank account and depositing some money counts) hasn't been revised since the treaty was ratified in the 50s, so it's currently about $4500, which is a couple orders of magnitude lower than most other desirable countries. Beyond that and some paperwork, there aren't any requirements, eg, no need to demonstrate any income/profit for the business. The visa is for two years but can be indefinitely renewed. We have friends who've used DAFT and we spoke to an immigration lawyer about doing it ourselves (when we first moved to the UK my partner hated her job and were looking at options for leaving without having to return to the US). You'll pay a few thousand in lawyer and accountant fees and there are some tricky details (you need to figure out a way to get a Dutch mailing address before you've technically been able to move there) but it's pretty straightforward compared to a lot of countries' immigration paths.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In most cases you're right. One option for Americans who can work remotely (which is quite a few fields now) is the Netherlands. The Dutch-American Friendship Treaty (DAFT) allows Americans to get a visa by starting a business in the Netherlands. A lot of countries have similar business/investment visas but DAFT is particularly attractive because the amount of money that the business has to "invest" (opening a business bank account and depositing some money counts) hasn't been revised since the treaty was ratified in the 50s, so it's currently about $4500, which is a couple orders of magnitude lower than most other desirable countries. Beyond that and some paperwork, there aren't any requirements, eg, no need to demonstrate any income/profit for the business. The visa is for two years but can be indefinitely renewed. We have friends who've used DAFT and we spoke to an immigration lawyer about doing it ourselves (when we first moved to the UK my partner hated her job and were looking at options for leaving without having to return to the US). You'll pay a few thousand in lawyer and accountant fees and there are some tricky details (you need to figure out a way to get a Dutch mailing address before you've technically been able to move there) but it's pretty straightforward compared to a lot of countries' immigration paths.

But is it still subject to the ridiculous global double-taxation rules for "high" (read: normal) incomes that have since a few years back applied to Americans working abroad?

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But is it still subject to the ridiculous global double-taxation rules for "high" (read: normal) incomes that have since a few years back applied to Americans working abroad?
I think it depends on what country you live in and if they have an agreement with the US.

ie) Canada - not a problem. I've never paid double tax. Didn't when I lived for a bit in Australia too.

You basically file your taxes in the country you're in first. The amount you pay in taxes gets applied to the US as a tax credit, and if it's more than what you would have paid in the US then you don't pay any taxes in the US. If it's less you may have to pay the difference.

DrewH

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The particularly troubling thing about conservatives, abortion, and the other soon to be taken away rights, is their utter insistence that the rest of us be forced to live by their value system. The concept of people wanting to control how others live is very disturbing and even dangerous. It's all rooted in corrupt organized religion. I was raised to have a choice which you wouldn't expect because my mother was raised strictly catholic. She sent me to a couple of protestant week long bible schools when I was a kid and I made it known after that I was done. She didn't force me to do anything beyond that and, from the age of like 8 or 9 on, religion was totally up to me. I opted not to take part. What I didn't know until later in life is my grandparents disowned my mother for 5 years because she committed the utter sin of marrying a non-catholic man. Think about that. Your parents want nothing to do with you because the love of your life and the person you want to spend that life with and raise a family with doesn't practice the same faith. When I finally was told that, it made sense how I was raised. I'm thankful because I was allowed to develop as a free thinker. It allowed me to see more clearly as I got older what a complete scam organized religion is. I have had friends who were raised differently and didn't have a single thought of their own in their heads. "Abortion is evil and gay is a sin". Well, why do you think that? "It just is!" They've been programmed from an early age to have those thoughts. They are told to live and think a certain way and never question it. The result are a bunch of drones who have all these thoughts but have no idea why they do. College history and political science classes really opened my eyes as to what the true original purpose of organized religion was/is. The perfect way to control a populace is if they all live and think the same way. The most effective way you do this is fear. The never proven to exist invisible all powerful man will strike you down or send you to hell if you don't do this or that or if you DO this or that. This is why conservatives hate education. The more educated you are, the more likely you are to see through the BS you've been fed your entire life. It's not just you are programmed to think a certain way in church. You are also taught that everyone else who isn't part of your faith is a sinner. That's where the real danger comes from and why abortion rights just got the axe. It also exposes the fundamental hypocrisy of the church. A house of God that preaches divisiveness instead of acceptance. Prejudice instead of love. Just really sick stuff....

I'm glad my mother didn't live to see this day. She was a strong minded woman who would have been pained by rights for her gender being eroded away.

Oh..and one question for the conservatives. If you are so concerned with preserving "life" then is it just preserving the organic vessel or saving the soul? God assigns our souls at birth, right? Before that, we are just a clump of organic matter. So, why it is so important to you to save that clump? God will just give the soul to the next baby up in the queue. I know I won't get a good answer to this because conservatives don't know how to deal with logic.

Last edited:

mmr007

(anti)Social Influencer
Reaction score
I am not at all happy waking up as an atheist in a theocratic country.
If it's any consolation we probably won't be a country much longer the way everyone is itching for a civil war and what with our unregulated militias being more heavily armed than actual ones

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am not at all happy waking up as an atheist in a theocratic country.

I love how all the Christian’s think their specific sect is the correct one.

The infighting that would occur as they turn on each other in the eventual endgame of trying to force a theocracy is ironic.

Sectarian fighting happens in every fundamentalist area. Let’s not pretend like every sect thinks the others are their equals, lol.

Carrion Rocket

Taiwan is a Country
Reaction score

The infighting that would occur as they turn on each other in the eventual endgame of trying to force a theocracy is ironic.

Sectarian fighting happens in every fundamentalist area. Let’s not pretend like every sect thinks the others are their equals, lol.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Well, that one's a given.

After all, the son of their god was a RABBI, and their main rival faith was founded by a student and translator of Judaism and Christianity... really hard to maintain a god's chosen identity with such blurry lines unless you preach sectarian strife.

Louis Cypher

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Obviously it's too late now but if at any point in the last 40 yrs Roe v Wade had been enshrined in Federal(??)/Constitutional(??) law then this ruling couldn't have been overturned?

Terrifying they are also threaten to make access to contraception (for women of course), same sex marriage and homosexuality illegal as well.

As is being reported here where America leads many country's around the world follow.... the Vatican has announced its full support for the ruling....

Personal I really don't understand the scenes of women celebrating this decision.... celebrating the fact that they are now 2nd class citizens in their own country when it comes to their own body autonomy and health

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Personal I really don't understand the scenes of women celebrating this decision.... celebrating the fact that they are now 2nd class citizens in their own country when it comes to their own body autonomy and health
It’s odd, but here in the US, women are more pro-life/anti-abortion than are men.

But even with all the religious nuts against it, 2/3 of Americans still support abortion rights. The difficulty is in getting legislation through the Senate without a large enough majority.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
It’s odd, but here in the US, women are more pro-life/anti-abortion than are men.

But even with all the religious nuts against it, 2/3 of Americans still support abortion rights. The difficulty is in getting legislation through the Senate without a large enough majority.
?
Screen Shot 2022-06-26 at 11.48.47 AM.png

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, thread got really long in the last few days.

With certain states saying that a foetus is alive at point of fertilisation, do those states have laws that cover when an unborn child is killed in say a car incident?

I.e. a drunk driver hits another car. The unborn dies. Does that count as manslaughter/murder?
Or
A domestic violent act, person kills unborn child when belting their partner?

Surely if they don't, those laws must be brought in, right? Otherwise that would be contradictory laws.

My state government (Victoria, Australia) has grappled with the 'is an unborn a human' thing for years. There was a court case where a driver crashed into a young expecting mother. Foetus died, mother lived. Out laws currently say that the death of the unborn can't be considered murder or manslaughter. So the driver couldn't receive a larger penalty than what he did. Only got a light sentence for dangerous driving under the influence or something similar.

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

For me I feel like this really shows how un-democratic gerrymandering, the Senate, and electoral college are all of the USA can be in the state it is (not just for abortion but a lot of other hot button issues) seeing how one-sided it is for pro-choice if you don't look at party affiliation

jco5055

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

With certain states saying that a foetus is alive at point of fertilisation, do those states have laws that cover when an unborn child is killed in say a car incident?

I.e. a drunk driver hits another car. The unborn dies. Does that count as manslaughter/murder?
Or

Surely if they don't, those laws must be brought in, right? Otherwise that would be contradictory laws.

My state government (Victoria, Australia) has grappled with the 'is an unborn a human' thing for years. There was a court case where a driver crashed into a young expecting mother. Foetus died, mother lived. Out laws currently say that the death of the unborn can't be considered murder or manslaughter. So the driver couldn't receive a larger penalty than what he did. Only got a light sentence for dangerous driving under the influence or something similar.

it is hard to say what would be "right" but considering some conservative posts have said stuff like "democrats know abortion is murder, why else would a person be charged with double homicide if they kill a pregnant woman and no one ever argues against that" I think if nuance isn't allowed it would be better to go with "not born=not a person at all" in all laws vs the opposite of course.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I think they mean intensity. In my experience it's always women out on the street don't anti abortion stuff, or picketing clinics.

Abortion only became legal a year or two ago where I live (services still haven't been commissioned) but I've been seeing anti abortion people yelling on street corners for as long as I can remember.

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My comment was based on a poll I saw recently on the news. I don’t know whether or not I can find a link.

Or

I don’t know about other states, but in Texas, both could be prosecuted as a criminal act.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had a really unsettling thought about the whole abortion thing this weekend. What happens with all the unwanted that are born? Sure, sometimes the mom / parents can turn it around and make a real go of it, but more often than not you end up with a kid that KNOWS they weren't wanted, and grows up to be an undereducated, under-cared-for, unwanted, burden on society, pissed off at the universe and wanting to punish EVERYONE for how horrible they feel about themselves.

That's gonna be a whole lotta future Republican voters getting churned out by this decision. We're basically going to drown in stupid in the coming years if this stands. Well, I guess, technically we'll drown in stupid a little faster than we were already.