US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Taxes don't work that way in *any* country. (that I know of)
The upper brackket only applies to the part of the money that is inside it. To take your exemple, you'd pay 32% only on the 1 cent that is above the previous bracket. Earning more gross money *never* results in a net loss.

In France we pay:
11% for the money between 11K to 26K
30% on the money from 26K to 74K
41% on the money from 74K to 160K
45% on everything over 160K.

I believe brackets in the US work in the exact same way, just with different numbers and tresholds.
You are correct. I just did my taxes a few months ago, too, so IDK what I was thinking

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
You are correct. I just did my taxes a few months ago, too, so IDK what I was thinking
I've been told a number of times by otherwise very reasonable people that they thought it worked that way (your take-home becomes less because you're in the bottom of a higher bracket vs. the top of the lower bracket) but as far as I know, it's never worked that way. I think it's a very common misconception.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
I've been told a number of times by otherwise very reasonable people that they thought it worked that way (your take-home becomes less because you're in the bottom of a higher bracket vs. the top of the lower bracket) but as far as I know, it's never worked that way. I think it's a very common misconception.

FWIW, there are a couple very specific situations (at least in the UK) where it can kind of work like that. Over here, there's a threshold where you lose certain credits/exemptions entirely and if you're not careful a £1 salary increase could end up with your take-home actually decreasing a bit. Also, as soon as you cross £100k as an employee, you are required to file taxes independently ("self assessment") which may or may not require you to pay an accountant (or at least spend a lot more time on your taxes than most brits are accustomed to). But, altogether, those exceptions are fairly rare and minimal and it's almost always much better to just take the salary increase.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have some in-demand skills on my resume/LinkedIn and as a result get TONS of recruiter emails. I'm not looking for a new job so I used to just ignore them. Lately, I've been replying to every one that has a salary range listed and telling them that I already make significantly more than the range they stated (sometimes I do, sometimes it's a lie) and that they should tell their clients to adjust to the current market rate if they want to find qualified candidates. Hoping that helps someone else make a bit more.

The sheer volume of cold “offers” I get where they are offering “all-in” comp far below even just the median base in the market explains any “hiring shortages” that white collar jobs may be experiencing.

Flat out they are all, all offering exactly what they were offering circa 2004-2005.

These cheap fucks are now looking at Gen Z with hungry eyes excitedly about to offer them the same shit they were offering Gen X and millenials 10-15+ years ago for mid-level roles.

TedintheShed

Retired bassist pretending to play guitar
Reaction score
Gas prices going up? Just like they are in every country? Welp, better become a fascist.

Cool.

I'm not sure that word means what you think it means. If you are using it in the context of 1920's Italy style fascism, then you've no idea. No president,, not even Trump, has been a dictator.

If you are using it as an adjective to simply describe autocratic control then that's been every president since the mid 1800's.

However yiy mean it, you should apply it consistently.

TedintheShed

Reaction score
Joe Biden sucks but I reckon this is a little oversimplified a gripe or solution.

Sometimes the issue they're chasing down is just (like climate change or banning Russian oil) but not enough effort is made to insulate average Americans from the fallout from those decisions or help move them along to step 2.

When the gas prices started creeping up the first time, I saw it start with Mayor Pete and then parroted among pundits (Colbert among them) "Oh well, here's the reason you should be driving an electric car". And maybe ultimately driving traditional gas powered cars is something we need to move beyond (maybe not), but telling people driving a 10 year old car that can barely afford their mortgage that they should buy (err.. get on the waiting list for) a $48,000 car is ludicrous. The fact this was an actual talking point they are floated out there tells you everything you need to know about the disconnect between this administration and average Americans.

I think running straight to Trump or anyone else that says drill baby drill is just kneejerk reactionary stuff that's either not gonna get you the outcome you hope for, or it's going to be a bandaid and you're gonna have to revisit your oil dependency another two, three or four years later anyway. There was plenty wrong with Trump and even supposing that specific thing is better while he's in office (gas prices), whatever he did while he was there didn't protect us from the circumstances that happened barely two years after he left. Long term solutions shouldn't be that volatile.

Running to Trump? No- not at all. But the liklihood of Trump being the Republican candidate is pretty high. On there was tons and tons wrong with Trump, however short of tarrifs he.imposed his economic policies were better than the current regime. Not much, but still better.

And no, this is t all "drill baby drill". That's a simplistic view. It's an amalgamation of monetary policy, spending and shrinking the availability of our domestic energy supply.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Running to Trump? No- not at all. But the liklihood of Trump being the Republican candidate is pretty high. On there was tons and tons wrong with Trump, however short of tarrifs he.imposed his economic policies were better than the current regime. Not much, but still better.

And no, this is t all "drill baby drill". That's a simplistic view. It's an amalgamation of monetary policy, spending and shrinking the availability of our domestic energy supply.
That's fair. I'm not convinced Trump is the only choice for the Republican Party or that Biden (or Harris) is the only option for the Democrats.

This far out, I think would be a good time for your (IMO) legitimate complaints to sharpen the pool of candidates down to someone better than those two fools. I think we can do better than the world the way it's been the last 6 years.

TedintheShed

Reaction score
That's fair. I'm not convinced Trump is the only choice for the Republican Party or that Biden (or Harris) is the only option for the Democrats.

This far out, I think would be a good time for your (IMO) legitimate complaints to sharpen the pool of candidates down to someone better than those two fools. I think we can do better than the world the way it's been the last 6 years.

Only choice? Obviously not. However they are the most likely, and that's by a long shot. I'd like them to "sharpen the pool of candidates" but the parties have been abject failures when do this for decades now. They do not inspire confidence.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm not sure that word means what you think it means. If you are using it in the context of 1920's Italy style fascism, then you've no idea. No president,, not even Trump, has been a dictator.

If you are using it as an adjective to simply describe autocratic control then that's been every president since the mid 1800's.

However yiy mean it, you should apply it consistently.
The Republican party is a fascist movement. The pretense of their being simple country folk on the lookout for government overreach is long over. Trump tried very, very hard to install himself as dictator. That he and his party did not succeed (yet) does not make them any less fascist. Look at what scholars of fascism have said about commonalities among fascist movements, and today's Republicans tick every box.

Meanwhile, Democrats make at least some effort to think about the future. Should Biden have continued buying Putin's oil? Should he be pushing still more giveaways to the corporations grinding the working class into dust? "The economy" would surely be better if he did, in the short term. If voters refuse to consider anything beyond today, then we have no chance.

TedintheShed

Reaction score
The Republican party is a fascist movement. The pretense of their being simple country folk on the lookout for government overreach is long over. Trump tried very, very hard to install himself as dictator. That he and his party did not succeed (yet) does not make them any less fascist. Look at what scholars of fascism have said about commonalities among fascist movements, and today's Republicans tick every box.

Meanwhile, Democrats make at least some effort to think about the future. Should Biden have continued buying Putin's oil? Should he be pushing still more giveaways to the corporations grinding the working class into dust? "The economy" would surely be better if he did, in the short term. If voters refuse to consider anything beyond today, then we have no chance.
Again, you have not specified the definition of fascist that you are utilizing so your statement is meaningless. But I would assert that in anyway, shape or form that you would apply "fascist" to the Republican Party one certainly could apply it to the Democratic Party as well.

That said, if you review the conversation that @Randy and I had, "Putin's Oil" had little to do with it.

Regarding the cororations commentary, crony capitalism (to which I believe you referring) is easily a bi-partisan issue.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score

I hate how Trump does this thing where he floats some before unthinkable idea down the road to fascism/dictatorship. ~"You know, so and so just won re-election. It's a life-term. How about that? That's sounds kinda nice - think we should try that here? <laugh> Nah, I'm just kidding. Or am I? We'll leave that up to you guys."

And yea, if every election that doesn't end with you winning is stolen, and if you should be able to be elected for life, and the media can't say anything against you without being fake (and you can call out for them to be fired or shot), I'll let everyone infer whether that is or is not a dictatorship lol

I don't recall these ideas being pushed around by the democrats..

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Again, you have not specified the definition of fascist that you are utilizing so your statement is meaningless. But I would assert that in anyway, shape or form that you would apply "fascist" to the Republican Party one certainly could apply it to the Democratic Party as well.
The assault on the capitol, trying to use organised and planned violence to change the result of an election, is a component of fascist regimes. It failed, but so did the aborted putsch in 1923.

loganflynn294

I don't feel good
Reaction score
Damn, I used to live right around there! I think that's probably not my old Tops, but it's like at most 3 Tops away.

“If there’s one thing I want you to get from these writings, it’s that White birth rates must change. Everyday the White population becomes fewer in number,” the manifesto begins. “To maintain a population the people must achieve a birth rate that reaches replacement fertility levels, in the western world that is about 2.06 births per woman.

“Why did you target those people?” The answer: “They are an obvious, visible, and large group of replacers. From a culture with higher fertility rates and strong, robust traditions that seek to occupy my peoples lands and ethnically replace my own people. It would have eased me if I knew all the blacks I would be killing were criminals or future criminals, but then I realized all black people are replacers just by existing in White countries.”
Where about did you used to live if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve lived in Buffalo and the surrounding ‘burbs my whole life. South Buffalo, Cheektowaga, and Lancaster to be exact. We’ve got problems just like any other city, but this isn’t something I ever thought would happen here. Absolutely sickening.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Where about did you used to live if you don’t mind me asking? I’ve lived in Buffalo and the surrounding ‘burbs my whole life. South Buffalo, Cheektowaga, and Lancaster to be exact. We’ve got problems just like any other city, but this isn’t something I ever thought would happen here. Absolutely sickening.

Elmwood village and later Amherst. Amherst was pretty safe overall.... Elmwood, I was a bit on edge. But I later moved to Baltimore which is just leveling up all threats.

profwoot

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I hate how Trump does this thing where he floats some before unthinkable idea down the road to fascism/dictatorship. ~"You know, so and so just won re-election. It's a life-term. How about that? That's sounds kinda nice - think we should try that here? <laugh> Nah, I'm just kidding. Or am I? We'll leave that up to you guys."

And yea, if every election that doesn't end with you winning is stolen, and if you should be able to be elected for life, and the media can't say anything against you without being fake (and you can call out for them to be fired or shot), I'll let everyone infer whether that is or is not a dictatorship lol

I don't recall these ideas being pushed around by the democrats..
Add in their being corporatist, anti-union, anti-democracy, anti-urban, nationalist, populist, sexist, misogynist, racist

Their worship of and alliance with the military and police, including paramilitary terrorist groups that were allowed to run amok during the Trump years

Constant moral panics -- most classically and persistently the fear of immigrants and Marxism, but CRT, vaccines, pedophilia, child cannibalism, etc. also fit here

White nationalism -- the most popular pundit in America is Tucker Carlson, whose nightly Great Replacement Theory rants continue to inspire stochastic terrorism, e.g., the Buffalo shooter's manifesto was mostly GRT conspiracism, much of it seemingly cribbed from Carlson

The need to always have a named bogeyman to whip up fear and rage -- Hillary Clinton being the main one for a long time, but more recently Tony Fauci and various celebrities, with efforts continuing re milquetoast Biden but it's been disappointingly slow for them

Conspiratorial thinking in general, with a large number of baseless stories having become shibboleths serving the same purpose as religious doctrines in identifying who's on your side and who is the enemy -- those not willing to accept obvious bullshit clearly can't be trusted

Hatred of the media who fact check their nonsense, and constant propaganda to flood the national dialogue with bullshit to encourage clear-thinking folk to disengage and generally to divorce the conversation from factual foundation

Belief that a strongman is necessary to counteract the (((globalists)))

All these and various others that I could name are attributes of fascist movements and Republicans. At this point denying that the modern Republican party is a fascist movement can only be due to motivated reasoning.

Democrats, meanwhile, certainly do cling to power when they can get it. They're not nakedly corrupt, most of them, but they do mostly govern out of fear of losing power, so they let the fascists set the agenda and generally suck at getting anything done. Because fascism is the laziest of ideologies, and as social media platforms refuse to tweak their algorithms to avoid being fascist indoctrination machines, I'm not even sure the Democrats' approach is wrong. Maybe just occupying the halls of power and running clock while hoping the people pull their heads out of their asses is the right move. I don't personally believe so, and find their shiftlessness endlessly frustrating, but I acknowledge that battling fascism is dicey, especially when so few people on the left (such as it is) acknowledge what the right in this country has become.

Thaeon

Cosmic Question Asker
Reaction score
One piece of advice is to ask the recruiter flat out what the firm has set aside “because I’m happy where I am, and want to know it’s worth my time”.

You can negotiate intel from the recruiter off the bat because they just want bodies to get hired. If you’re interested that motivates them to share more info.

Yeah they can’t promise you anything but they may give up a lot more than whatever the initial “lowball” offer is. They are often told to offer the bottom end of whatever “range” is given. But a good recruiter doesn’t give a shit and after “trying” once they’ll just tell you what you want to know.

Hope that helps.

I'm already at the top of what people are willing to pay for what I do. Took six months to find the job I have now.

Joe Biden sucks but I reckon this is a little oversimplified a gripe or solution.

Sometimes the issue they're chasing down is just (like climate change or banning Russian oil) but not enough effort is made to insulate average Americans from the fallout from those decisions or help move them along to step 2.

When the gas prices started creeping up the first time, I saw it start with Mayor Pete and then parroted among pundits (Colbert among them) "Oh well, here's the reason you should be driving an electric car". And maybe ultimately driving traditional gas powered cars is something we need to move beyond (maybe not), but telling people driving a 10 year old car that can barely afford their mortgage that they should buy (err.. get on the waiting list for) a $48,000 car is ludicrous. The fact this was an actual talking point they are floated out there tells you everything you need to know about the disconnect between this administration and average Americans.

I think running straight to Trump or anyone else that says drill baby drill is just kneejerk reactionary stuff that's either not gonna get you the outcome you hope for, or it's going to be a bandaid and you're gonna have to revisit your oil dependency another two, three or four years later anyway. There was plenty wrong with Trump and even supposing that specific thing is better while he's in office (gas prices), whatever he did while he was there didn't protect us from the circumstances that happened barely two years after he left. Long term solutions shouldn't be that volatile.

Yeah, I'm tired of people blaming Biden, or any politician for gas prices. The whole world is paying more because of an artificial shortage in a speculative market while an unhinged lunatic tries to violently recapture his idea of the 'glory days' in his country and prevent sharing a border with NATO. I'm not saying that the way we handled Bin Ladin should be on the table. But I'm not saying it should be off the table either. There would certainly be much less suffering happening.

The sheer volume of cold “offers” I get where they are offering “all-in” comp far below even just the median base in the market explains any “hiring shortages” that white collar jobs may be experiencing.

Flat out they are all, all offering exactly what they were offering circa 2004-2005.

These cheap fucks are now looking at Gen Z with hungry eyes excitedly about to offer them the same shit they were offering Gen X and millenials 10-15+ years ago for mid-level roles.

Yeah, I've made almost the same money for the last 10 years. People keep giving me the opportunity for growth speech, but its always growth in ways that have nothing to do with my career. Taking me away from the technical part of my job and pushing me towards management. There's a part of me that is just wanting to take the risk and open my own business, but I don't have the potential human resources to make that happen in the town I'm in. I KNOW that's even more management, and administration than I'd want to field for an employer, but its different when it's your thing.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've explained this to a number of surprisingly intelligent people, too.

Honestly, part of this is the IRS's fault - they DO explain the nature of the calculation, but for simplicity's sake try to direct you to tax tables where income is broken out by like $1k or $5k increments and they tell you what your tax liability is wihtin that band, so it kind of obscures how your taxes due is calculated. Because of that, it's pretty easy to see that the tax rate increases with income, but not catch that it's only marginal dollars over that breakpoint that are taxed at the higher rate.