US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
Trump needs to shut up and retire from politics.

The DNC must be salivating at the mouth at the thought of him running in 2024. They can beat him with anybody.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Trump needs to shut up and retire from politics.

The DNC must be salivating at the mouth at the thought of him running in 2024. They can beat him with anybody.
Well, I mean, yeah. Biden vs Trump. Biden already won that matchup once. Biden doesn't really look any worse than he did in 2020 at the moment. The right might think that he does, but they only think that because of things Biden has done that everyone expected anyway. Trump, on the other hand, is out there saying that he wants to do away with the Constitution, which makes zero sense to me from a public relations perspective.

The worst thing for this country right now is for Trump to run for president in 2024. Because, if Biden was considering retiring, and Trump runs, then Biden's going to be basically forced to run again. If Trump doesn't run, maybe Biden retires and two younger and more competent people run against each other. As long as Trump and his camp are wanting to take over the country by hook or by crook, we can't turn over a new leaf. Even if DJT ends up in prison or chokes himself on a taco or something, it's likely that one of his kids or kids-in-law will try to take his place, although there's the possibility of factions splitting and support going down the drain.

And, as much as I quite dislike Trump, the worst part of the problem isn't the man himself, it's the worst of his supporters. That's something I cannot say about any other president during my lifetime. Obviously, those people (the most far-out-there Trump supporters) aren't going away any time. They'll glam onto whomever the next thing is. And if the GOP establishes a new era of distancing themselves from Trump, it means that would could very well see factions splitting anyway. I think that once these Aryan Nation and KKK types had a taste of legitimacy via political power, they simply won't go away quietly.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So it appears that there was collusion between the FBI, Twitter and the DNC to interfere in the 2020 election. Matt Taibi reporting on Twitter , about suppressing the story about Hunter and Joe colluding with the Ukrainian government. Elon might have single handedly saved America, our democracy and freedom of speech. Wow.
Trump was right. The election WAS stolen in 2020z
At this point you're either completely out of touch with reality or just trolling, because that's not what Taibbi said AT ALL about Hunter's Tommy Lee moment.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
When I read Trump wants to terminate the Constitution I thought, "Yup. He's preparing his followers for another run. A run where he *literally* destroys the country from the foundation up, rather than figuratively doing it by pissing all over every thing we stand for while holding the highest office in the land."

I also find it amusing that it look like Iowa will no longer be #1 in the whole primary rigamarole. They're gonna move that shit to the "important" states in the East. Granted, I never really understood why Iowa was first, since the entirety of this part of the country is viewed as "flyover" by the entire electorate and candidates. I'm just really looking forward to my relatives losing their fucking shit about no longer mattering at all again, just like the rest of us.
I think probably it was a good bulwark against having like, I dunno, NY or CA being first and then all the momentum going to someone totally unelectable by "purple states" as opposed to milquetoast like Biden who would win the nomination in a state like Iowa.

However they apparently are switching to SC, who keeps electing Joe Manchin, so that seems like a step in the wrong direction. Though I know he partly gets elected because of all the bipartisan support, and that in an actual democrats-only presidential primary they probably wouldn't select someone THAT conservative. Who knows. Primaries are dumb. But I get it. It's a lot more fair than if it was nationwide cause it's a lot cheaper to advertise in a state like Iowa or SC than it would be across the country or in NYC or CA, so there's at least theoretically more chance of the candidate with all the money not being the one who wins.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In a more serious note, the most interesting tweet from that thread was this:

View attachment 117870

The rest of the thread was really nothing that interesting or important, but it's weird that he just glanced over the part where he found evidence that the sitting government had asked for tweets to be removed (which is, to be clear, a much bigger scandal than a political campaign asking to delete some nudes).
I highly suspect he didn't just gloss over it. It'll be the next thing he's getting paid for. Taibbi started out as someone trying to do the right thing (albeit in a smarmy "I'm better than you" way) and has turned into the worst kind of hack journalist imaginable.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dang, Trump Organization found guilty for scheming to defraud taxes authorities.

...and Trump is referred for criminal charged from the Jan 6 committee to the DOJ. He just can't stop "winning"
Small hopes he goes down before he finds a way to croak from all that healthy living. Or his ego exploding his brain.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Walker fucking braindead, his supporters even worse.

If I was Warnock I'd spend my entire victory speech castigating them for running such an idiot. Keep running people like that, keep losing. Or win and send your state back to the stone age. Political Darwinism.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
That was too close, considering how much of an easy choice this ought to have been...

Crazy to think that Georgia had a statewide runoff election and called a result in less time than it took for one district in Colorado to do a recount (which is still ongoing).

And now Trump is more vulnerable than ever, yet still seems to have a penchant for dodging bullets. With the DOJ considering whether to bear down on him with criminal charges, his corporation held criminally liable for tax fraud, his IRS receipts in congress's hands, his civil suits imploding on him, and now one of the candidates he ran for senate losing, his armour might be wearing off soon. The GOP is certainly not happy about Walker, not happy about his statements about "terminating" the US Constitution, and likely even more unhappy with the outcome of his pending litigation. But I think that the only way to get him to stop committing more crimes to try to cover up his past crimes is to get the dude, along with his cleaners, into a jail cell. Since every defense he has is a lie, his overall defense is like a Jenga tower of lies and coverups. If someone could just manage to remove the lowest block...

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Aaaaaand more classified documents were found in Trumos storage unit in Qest Palm Beach. Apparently next to "swords and wrestling belts".

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Crazy to think that Georgia had a statewide runoff election and called a result in less time than it took for one district in Colorado to do a recount (which is still ongoing).
That's not really surprising. In Colorado, they can start counting mail-in and early ballots for over two weeks before election day. And, if the margin is wide enough when they get done with the "easy" to count votes, they can call the results before they even get to the ones that take a long time to count. They eventually do complete the count, but it's often weeks later, and it was already mathematically impossible for the result to change, so all that happens is a brief news update about the final tally being updated...but it rarely garners much attention.

With a recount, they have to make up that 2 week head start the first count had, and because the margin is so slim, they still have to go through all of the time-consuming ballots like ones that the machines have dfficult reading, plus all of the processing that happens to incoming mailed-in ballots (like millitary absentee) before they can be counted, etc.

That said...for state elections, Colorado state law says they have to be complete by 35 days after the election...and we're gettin' near that...