US Political Discussion: Biden/Harris Edition (Rules in OP)

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
I really don’t wish to restart the entire abortion discussion all over again. But let me state I respect your opinion, even though I disagree. I saw these things with the utmost respect, and I am not “trolling” as some say.

A human has its own genetically unique DNA at conception (week 0), it starts to develop its central nervous system at week 3, a heart at week 3, arms legs ears and eyes at week 4. I saw and heard my daughter’s heartbeat at 5.5 weeks. This “ball of cells” you speak of is a human being that deserves a life.

There is states where a woman can walk Into a clinic during her 3rd trimester and request their baby be dismembered limb by limb. Simply because it is inconvenient. I am pretty libertarian in most aspects, and I think government involvement in most things should be limited to a minimum. But the murder of innocent babies, who are given no chance at life, who are deprived of the most basic and fundamental right there is, is heinous. We should all, as citizens stand together against murder of the innocent, and expect our government to provide for their protection and safety.
Yet, a human fetus does not develop the complexity of the neural system to perceive pain until week 24-25 per the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. https://www.acog.org/advocacy/facts-are-important/gestational-development-capacity-for-pain I think that the ACOG is a pretty sound source for information on fetal development in humans.

Just because the "central nervous system starts to develop at week three, that does not equate to being a perceptive creature. At week three, it is really still just a ball of cells. And really, I work in a medical laboratory. I deal with human tissue all week long. A ball of cells is a ball of cells. The idea that something special happens "at conception" is just a catch phrase that dismisses the actual life that these bans are inflicting damage upon.

And regarding the late-term abortion comment, this resource goes more in depth about specific cases where any states had allowed late term abortions. Roe vs Wade pretty much went by trimesters, which was somewhat arbitrary, but at least fell closely enough to actual lines of viability and development to be arguable.

Our entire justice system is based around a "moral law". It is morally wrong to steal so we punish thieves, it is morally wrong to kill therefore we punish killers, it is morally wrong to rape so we punish rapists, etc. The "moral law" that dictates right from wrong in our legal system is based on judeo-christian values. Where do you guys want to draw the line? Should we not punish murderers, thieves and rapists because this is christians trying to shove their values down your throat?
Have you ever taken an ethics class? Maybe reading up on Hobbes and the concept of social contract will give you an idea of why "morals" such as do not kill and do not steal are present in all cultures. Morals and societal rules existed long before Christianity or even Judaism.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
In Glade's mind, Moses came down the hill all, "Thou shalt not kill" and people in the crowd were like:

shocked-agree.gif