Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by icos211, Feb 10, 2015.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Drink Sunny D, pet kitties.

see I actually like black metal, just not old shit like venom or burzum, etc. Their tone makes me hate the music, same with 90s florida dm like suffocation (exception being Morbid Angel)

2. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

Again... how many people actually like black metal or that tone compared to every other genre in the world? This opinion isn't that unpopular if at all.

3. PunkBillCarson

As far as Florida DM goes, even if they had "good" tone, I still hate the music.

4. KnightBrolaire

Creed is actually pretty good and nothing anyone says will change my mind. Jars of Clay actually had a lot of good heavy riffs, and scott stapp was actually a very good Eddie Vedder impersonator.

LordIronSpatula and XPT707FX like this.
  5. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

From the little bit I've listened to, I probably would if it wasn't recorded through a potato.

6. PunkBillCarson

Right but again, that doesn't change the fact that his opinion wasn't unpopular. Black metal is as it is and much the definition of it comes from how it sounds, so you have to consider it in its form.

7. dr_game0ver

dr_game0ver SS.org Regular

Are you guys still having conversations about black metal? Why can't you leave black metal alone?

Demiurge likes this.
  8. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

^Yeah, I think that early BM production is kind of a cheap target. The pendulum has just swung so far the other way in terms of production value, it's actually kind of nice to think of bands trying to sound raw. At least it's an aesthetic choice.

9. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I kind of agree. I saw them in December because they were headlining a show with Within the Ruins, who I wasn't going to miss. Tim's whole thing feels pretty genuine, at least to the point where I'm not going to put shit on him any more until he gives me a reason to. For now, I'll check out their new stuff and listen to it if it's as good as the old albums. My Own Grave was pretty sick.

This one gets me. It double sucks too when you realize how good some of that material could sound with good production.
    I remember forever ago Mark and Misha posted like a 40 second clip with a cover of the Ye Entrancemperium riff and it sounded unreal. Black metal with modern production sounds insane, why would you not want that? :lol:

10. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

Thin, hissy, lo-fi raw black metal is the best kind of black metal.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

exactly, black metal is more about the gloomy ambiance and space between sounds, not deliberately shitty recordings to be kvlt. Modern bands like Bel'akor, Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord, etc get that. Hell, most of the older black metal bands that still make music don't chase that sound (Immortal, Darkthrone and Ihsahn sure as shit ditched that sound quick)

12. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

80's and 90's Power ballads are better than Black metal. That's my unpopular opinion.

XPT707FX likes this.
  13. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Just look at this vicious attack by black metal musicians - DISGUISED AS COPS - on an innocent guitarist just trying to rock in his own home!

[​IMG]

14. c7spheres

c7spheres SS.org Regular

I know man, Glam just can't get a break! Poor guy. He ain't hurtin' nobody. Let him rock in peace!

15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Is that Damn Yankees era Ted Nugent? :lol:

16. PunkBillCarson

It's a low hanging fruit for people to attack. BM production is the anti-thesis to their modern production and they're upset that BM isn't as accessible and would be if it had modern production despite the fact that BM was never meant to have great production in the first place. It was meant to be that way strictly to push people away. Now obviously, not everyone shares those ideals, maybe not everyone is aware for the reason for terrible production so there it is.

I still don't see how this is an unpopular opinion. :lol:

I get the feeling that people are just taking what they've seen from this site, which still only has a relatively a few black metal fans compared to the rest of the shit people here typically listen to and using that for their basis. There is literally NOTHING unpopular about saying that ANYTHING is better than black metal since many people on and off this forum would agree with you.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    c7spheres likes this.
  17. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Raw can be fine, but these days I mostly feel that people just say that instead of "we don't know how to mix/record/etc.".

I like bm myself, but definitely not for the shitty production :lol: The mood is what's important, and that can be achieved without sounding like shit. And at the same time enjoyable music can be made without crystal clear perfect production, but that's another discussion that's already been discussed :lol:

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  18. MFB

MFB ExBendable

You know it

19. vilk

vilk Very Regular

There's good bad production value black metal, and there's bad bad production value black metal. Enslaved put out an EP in 2011 called Thorn which I think nails all the best aspects of good bad production value black metal. But most of those French LLN bands etc., are the bad bad kind.
    I highly recommend that Enslaved EP.

-----------------

Unpopular opinion: Steak sucks. Pork chops suck. I'm not vegetarian, I like meat, but eating just a straight up piece of meat is boring as shit. I'd rather have a burger. I'd rather have pulled pork.
    You've just never had a good steak!
    Idk, I guess it's possible. But I've ordered the most expensive one at the steak house, I've eaten Kobe wagyuu in Japan, I've had marbled, non marbled, all the various different names of cuts of steak. Maybe I just lack a refined pallet. Or maybe, just maybe, people placebo themselves into believing steak is good because it's expensive.

XPT707FX likes this.
  20. MFB

MFB ExBendable

To me, I'm the exact opposite - a burger is a shitty piece of meat with a bunch of non-meats forced to try and punch outside their class, and convince that whatever you just paid for was worth it. I went to Longhorn's on Friday, paid $15 for a 12 oz flat iron, and even if I wasn't already drained from going to the gym for an hour and a half, I crushed it like a motherfucker; and it was just a piece of good meat cooked to the exact right temperature I like it to be. I'd rather my get a good steak that someone has cooked correctly than some ground beef patty with a bunch of frills and dressings that make me good "no, this is worth my time"