Tried my first EBMM JP Majesty 7 - OMFG!

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by BananaDemocracy, Apr 20, 2019.

1. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I think that people that hate them still pretty much hate them.

Pictures of the guitar by itself and jp playing them don’t make them look good. In person they look great.

2. BananaDemocracy

BananaDemocracy 8 String Impaler

Perhaps my title was confusing? I meant it in a good way lol ...you see, I did not know that people on SSO were anti-Majesty!? That is so surprising to me, especially considering how some people even like Tosin Abasi guitar (yickkk)... but while I just meant I thought the majesty was RADICAL in design and departure from the "norm" but it turned out to be a freakin' home run, RBI, field goal, touch down, goal, ETC... I was really surprised, and now I am to be the owner of one

she will be mine, oh yes. she will be mine

3. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

haters gert out

4. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

To be fair I didn't like them when they came out, but they grew on me. I still don't like the block inlay they used at the 1st fret, but I like the look of the rest of it and the price was right so the purple one is coming home. Note they finally fixed the inlay on the latest models.

5. BananaDemocracy

I agree, strange choice on that inlay

I would nominate the majesty as currently , IMHO , the SICKEST (meaning overall quality,best in show, features, etc) production [non super custom 7 string out...

I’d really love to spec a custom guitar at one of the more popular custom luthiers with same specs as Majesty to see what it would cost ,basic (like a Carvin order sort of)

I also agree that ATM only PRS and a J custom (2027x double edge Ibanez ) would come close

It’s getting harder for me to pick ,specially with two JP in the mix (majesty vs Xi...I can’t beleive my GAS are two of the same guitar series , and “someone else’s “ custom isbetter then what I would make myself!!!

6. Mega-Mads

Mega-Mads Not an IMN

I hope i'm not hijacking this thread, but i have a question regarding the Sterling Majesty's. What's your impression of those? Do not compare them to the full blown music man model, but how they are quality wise, compared to other guitars in the same price range?

7. diagrammatiks

Sterling had kind of a hit or miss rep recently.

IMO, the sterling majesty has no piezo, fancy wiring and isn’t neckthrough. So unless you really like the shape I don’t see any reason to buy it over anything else in the price range.

Mega-Mads likes this.
  8. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

I can get over the shovel aesthetic, but the headstock doesn’t fit the design. These look very comfortable, and I would like to try one.

Exchanger likes this.
  9. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

The shape reminds me a lot of my ESP Horizon III - which is a personal favorite if a little quirky. I don't mind the shape. I have mixed feelings on the shovel, but it's not terrible. I am a little curious how the neck finish feels - part of the joy of an EBMM is how damn good the oiled neck feels. It would be hard to give that up for a finished neck, even if satin. I do like that the neck has SG like fret access - literally nothing in the way.

I'm a recent EBMM fan boy convert having bought a JP7 that just blew me away.

Musiscience likes this.
  10. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

I love EBMM, every single one I played or owned felt amazing and sounded great. That neck heel/joint, or lack thereof, is really attractive if you play a lot in the upper register.

On the other hand, I can't get along with signature inlays or ornaments, it really makes it feel like you are playing someone else's or some other band's instrument. I wish they would offer the option to order with dot inlays. I know it's a signature guitar and etc., but they used to offer that option on the JP6 line.

Anyway, I can't wait to see your NGD!

BananaDemocracy and XPT707FX like this.
  11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I'm sure these are great guitars and all, but they're also one of the single worst looking guitars I've ever seen. :lol:

Pablo likes this.
  12. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

I do personally really like the ergonomic design of the Majesty but a couple of things keep me from getting one:

1) It's very distinctly a "signature guitar", almost in the way a Dean ML is. The original JP body shape is more subtle and timeless.

2) The possibility of the boost circuit breaking and rendering the guitar unusable. I live in the Philippines so there aren't many luthiers here who know how to fix something as high-tech as a Majesty. Sending it back to the US to get fixed at EBMM HQ would cost a ton of money.

BananaDemocracy likes this.
  13. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

I have a cutlass (oil/wax), bfr majesty (gloss), and monarchy majesty (satin). I can honestly say I don't notice a difference when i switch. They all feel great to me, and equally fast. Gloss has never been sticky for me, but I know everyone is different.

14. BananaDemocracy

I was going to buy the xi used but because of the recent sales I prefer to order my Arctic dream majesty 7!!!

Can’t wait now, shouldn’t be too many weeks

15. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Another thing I don’t understand, the gloss is sticky situation. Sanitize your hands real quick, then you’re golden.

16. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

For me it's not a sticky problem. I don't have a problem with Poly or Nitro necks, which are definitely less smooth than satin. It's just that the waxed / oiled neck finish is one of the very nice things about EBMM. It feels fancy. A little bummed to get one of their guitars and not have that.

17. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

I guess I beat off to much. Calluses have ruined everything

18. haffner1

haffner1 SS.org Regular

I tried one a while back in a shop. It was a 6 string version. It was quite nice, but in terms of the price point I found it pretty underwhelming. They are getting well into PRS Custom 24 territory in pricing with little to no justification in terms of material/build feature costs. You aren't getting a 3/4 inch flame top or anything on most of them. I understand the piezo feature drives the price up some, but there are a lot of options for that type of thing now days. Build quality seemed on par with a high quality MIJ, but for $1500 more.

19. BananaDemocracy

ID still like to know what you guys think about the pup selections

I think the majesty i like/soon to get is the illumination? But the CL/LF was the standard for a long time, and then after the illuminator, there were two more config i think....

I think thats the only thing EBMM/JP could’ve maybe altered or offered other options , the pups...

PS in terms of build quality and as you mentioned, proprietary hardware, EBMM surpasses nearly everything ive seen...the difference with PRS being the actually wood, but in terms of the “guitar” you get, nothing comes close, sorry but imho

20. diagrammatiks

Don’t use Any Dimarzios because they are too pleb. But I’m sure those pups are ok.

BananaDemocracy likes this.