Trevor Strnad dead at 41

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
Man... Black Dahlia's been a favorite for forever. Loved hearing Trevor on podcasts, been catching up on Jasta and saving the most recent Trevor episode.

Just tried to listen to it on the way to work, Trevor said they hopefully had two full years of touring ahead, and I had to shut it off :(

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Reminisced with my friends about this last night. They were both bigger fans of TBDM than I but I still loved Miasma through Ritual, with Nocturne being a personal top 10. I picked that one up on a whim when a chain of CD stores was closing across Canada, having only heard a few songs from Miasma up until then. I had no expectations and that album blew me away. The Black Dahlia Murder was absolutely my intro into more extreme metal beyond Lamb of God and Machine Head. I didn't know humans were capable of making such heavy music until I heard the title track off of Miasma.

My one buddy was lucky enough to meet Trevor in Toronto and get surprised with a big bear hug from him when he spotted my buddy wearing a Detroit Red Wings jersey. He really was as great a guy and as friendly as everyone says he was. RIP to one of the best in death metal, hope his family and friends are doing okay.

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
When I saw the headline on Facebook, I literally thought it was a joke someone was playing on the metal community.

This sucks big time. He was the definition of metal. No one can ever replace him.

The world lost a good one. :(

bjjman

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This is a huge hit to the guts. Even more so for how it happened. I only got to see TBDM once but he gave that show his all. Can't imagine how his family, friends and bandmates are right now. I hope you found your peace Trevor.

Bpebler

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This really sucks. I’ve seen them live many times & it was always a good show. To hell with depression & suicide. I’ve stopped in the act myself & you never forget it. Not going to be a popular comment here, but there’s only one cure for it & that’s the Creator of the universe, Jesus Christ. Doesn’t 100% take away the feeling 100% of the time either, but it does get MUCH better & it’s the only assurance of a future hope that anyone can have. Even a long earthly life is short, but eternity is not. Something to think about.

død

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This really sucks. I’ve seen them live many times & it was always a good show. To hell with depression & suicide. I’ve stopped in the act myself & you never forget it. Not going to be a popular comment here, but there’s only one cure for it & that’s the Creator of the universe, Jesus Christ. Doesn’t 100% take away the feeling 100% of the time either, but it does get MUCH better & it’s the only assurance of a future hope that anyone can have. Even a long earthly life is short, but eternity is not. Something to think about.
Respectfully, this is not the time nor the place.

I’m beyond devastated, TBDM were my favorite band since I was a wee 14 year old back in 2004 and I discovered the Funeral Thirst video on Yahoo Music. Most of the is due to how big of a personality Trevor had, even back then. I’ve met him a couple of times when they dropped by Oslo for shows, kindest, most humble person I’ve ever met. This fucking sucks.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's some poor taste in there homie.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score

I'm not one to knock anyone's beliefs, but let's please not begin touting them as facts to people. There are plenty of ways for people to beat depression, and those ways may not always be easy. What works for one person doesn't work for everyone. Speaking from experience, I've beaten it my own way and it certainly wasn't through religious means. For me personally, it was just having a better outlet, which was working out. That may not work for everyone but I don't think my way is the only way.

Again, I don't mean any disrespect, but it's very rude to blatantly state the only way to overcome depression is to find Jesus. I'm sorry, but something about that statement just rubs me the wrong way.

Believe what you'd like, I'm fine with that, but please don't gatekeep help outlets for mental illness. Not a good look.

Last edited:

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
I remember finding the video for “Contagion” on video on demand back in like 2004. The sound was new to me and I was hooked. Bought Unhallowed as soon as possible. Saw them several times at Mr. Smalls in Pittsburgh. Always a band I loved but sort of faded around Deflorate but came back with the newest album. Sad news indeed. Rest in Power!

Buffnuggler

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It’s always the time & place.

Trevor affected more positive change in his lifetime than most of us ever will. I don't think he was a Christian and I don't think that would've prevented his actions.

I'm not interested in debating religion and I am not an atheist but your comment is pretty tone deaf. You have three posts on this website, which is a place to enjoy musical opinions and gear, not disrespectfully push obnoxious holier-than-thou evangelism on something that has neurochemical origins and (for many) can be treated with medication.

If you want to convert people to Christianity, go to a prison or an AA meeting, you'll find plenty of people desperate for something to save them from themselves (I say this as someone who's been through the latter). Depression is better left to psychiatrists and it's irresponsible of you to use it as a platform to push your own personal views.

It's also disrespectful to Trevor's memory. I'm glad that you have overcome your depression through finding God, and I'm sorry if this sounds rude, but if you don't understand how your comment is selfish and out of place then that's on you. This is a thread to pay respects to a talented vocalist and beautiful soul (that many Christians would heavily disapprove of based on lyrical content alone). It's not about you, or your salvation, or your eternity in Heaven lol, and that's what you're making it about.

It's NOT always the time and place.

Also: whether there's a Heaven or not, we shouldn't need the hope of eternity to appreciate the miracle that is our brief existence.

But if there is a Heaven, Trevor is there right now. Biggest of RIPs for a legend.

oracles

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It absolutely is not. Religion and personal beliefs are not something you get to throw around toward other people indiscriminate of time and place.

What happened to Trevor is an all to common tragedy, and the last thing it needs is "holier than thou" pontificating and pretentious spouting of religion.

Your religious beliefs are your own, and they're best kept to yourself unless specifically asked for.

Bpebler

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Disagree. Perhaps I’ll elaborate more at a bettter time towards an unwarranted argument. Everyone has a religion - religion by root definition is simply a belief in a world view that’s subjective to the individual, which everyone has. No one waits to be asked for an opinion otherwise there would be no posts or comments before mine. It’s a matter of simply speaking freely.

Buffnuggler

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Disagree. Perhaps I’ll elaborate more at a bettter time towards an unwarranted argument. Everyone has a religion - religion by root definition is simply a belief in a world view that’s subjective to the individual, which everyone has. No one waits to be asked for an opinion otherwise there would be no posts or comments before mine. It’s a matter of simply speaking freely.

people were turned off because you explicitly said Jesus Christ, and in Christianity it’s recognizing Jesus’s sacrifice (lord and SAVIOR) that allows one entry into heaven and forgiveness for all sins. so your post is basically saying that 1.) trevor wouldnt have killed himself if he was Christian and 2.) he wont be allowed entry into heaven (eternity).

thats why people think its tone deaf even if you dont intend it. whatever your personal experiences that inform your need to put it out there, it really doesnt apply to Trevor, its your experiences projected onto him and particularly in the context of suicide, which classically is viewed as a rejection of Gods love, it feels like its in bad taste.

you only said one thing about Trevor (the shows were good). i get that youre trying to say “i hope everyone can find the strength to conquer their demons, be it in god or elsewhere” but the words in the post didnt really communicate that.

words are imperfect tools, especially on the internet, so if youre intentions are good i dont want to argue, but people are upset about this and its hard not to read that post as a condemnation of Trevor. the guy lost his mom recently and was grieving. this whole thing is heartbreaking and brutal and really not the time or place for you to whip out the soapbox.

all that said im glad you have found peace and youre here with us. i just feel like your post diminishes his struggle and maybe you feel like the message was inclusive but in this context i dont think its appropriate, or helpful, or comforting.

død

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I promise you, it isn’t. Plenty of more devout christians than you kill themselves every year, so claiming that Jesus would’ve saved Trevor from offing himself seems wildly ignorant. It’s also extremely disrespectful towards him, his beliefs and his memory. You’re not coming off the way you wanted to, and it’s getting worse by every reply. Please stop being disrespectful and quit the Bible-thumping. Trevor wouldn’t have wanted it.