To change pickups or not to, that is the question!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Edika, Dec 7, 2018.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

I tried a brutal Gibson Dirty Fingers patterned bridge humbucker from Guitar Madness on eBay named Dirty Digits. The thing is wild! The seller also has sd jb patterned pickups and many others cheap enough to try and toss.

I also tried a bridge humbucker by a US custom winder on Reverb. He calls it the Damask Metal which is great for down tuning too. Wound with 44awg and C8 magnets at 17.2k, thing is brutal in driving gain but still has nice cleans.

http://soundcloud.com/littlebadboy/touch

But... if you really like your guitar the way it is now, then you may want to keep the original pups in case you will have a change in heart in the future. Perhaps you can try connectors for easy swapping.

Or, buy the same guitar and mod that one!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Edika likes this.
  2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I received the Black Winters yesterday and managed to install them last night. I didn't change the strings as I wanted to hear the difference with the current setup and I only managed to play them with low volume on my Valvestate. First impressions, I like them a lot. The cleans are full and surprisingly good sounding. Distortion wise they're powerful but clean sounding. I can understand what KnightBrolaire was saying but they work well with this guitar, the mod and high end character of the guitar is still there but is not as overbearing as with the Burstbuckers. Plus the low end has filled up quite a bit but remains tight at the same time. What surprised me the most is how clear these sound for high output pickups. I've read about it several times but it's a hear to believe situation.

I need to fire up my big amps and give them some volume but I foresee the Burstbuckers going up for sale really soon.

PunkBillCarson and KailM like this.
  3. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I know this should be asked at the string tension thread but I'm planning to tune either this guitar or another one with a 24.75' scale (NGD pending clean up and setup) to B standard. I have a D'Addario 10-60 set and a 13-62 with a wound G. I'm torn between the two plus what's the benefit of the wound G string?

4. PunkBillCarson

PunkBillCarson SS.org Regular

The wound G won't sound like ass compared to the plain version of the same string. Go with 13-62. That's what I have on my Goldtop and it's sick sounding.

Edika likes this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's strings. Try both.

Edika likes this.
  6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I'll start with these and see how I like them.

You're right I just feel bad tosing away a perfectly good set of strings when I can use it somewhere else. And it's not me being cheap it just seems like a waste. I'll start with the heavier gauge as I do want a similar tension as 10's on the strings and play them for a while to see if I like the sound.

7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Put them on something else then. :lol:

Strings don't go bad just because you put them on another guitar.

Alternatively, spend some time with each set. While you might not like some sets right away, give it some time. After you adjust you might love them.

When trying out a new set I usually stick with it until it's about time for a change. I can't say I bond well with them most of the time, but at least I know I can be sure that it's not the right set for me.

Edika likes this.
  8. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I know I can re-use them but at the moment I don't have something to put them on. I'm sure they might be good though for a couple of months if I store them somewhere. In any case I'll try the new guitar with 13-62 as it's more metal geared but if I don't like how it sounds in B I can put this in B and just transfer the strings to it.

9. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Just a small update as I don't want to start a new thread while I can comment here. After a while there was a strange midrange fizz I started noticing on the Les Paul with the Black Winters. Plus with the 13-62 set I was never happy with the low B. I think the problem mainly lies that I hit the strings a bit too hard and it was going out of tune so I had the annoying feeling of having to retune all the time. Plus the 62 was buzzing quite a lot. I was quite curious how the 500T and 496R will sound on the LP as I love them on the Explorer (not when I tuned the guitar to B though lol). So I did the old switcheroo and exchanged pickups on the two guitars. I was a bit hesitant as I love how the Explorer sounds with the Gibson pickups but I could easily change them back if I didn't like the results.

So out went the soldering iron and The LP has the Gibson pickups and the Explorer has the Black Winters. I also tuned up the Gibson to C# as I don't have a guitar in that tuning. The combinationof this plus the Gibson pickups makes it sound meaty as hell but still retain clarity and the midrange growl. The Explorer still sounds great but it has a bit of the bass response backed of and the mids are a bit more pronounced. I was hearing a bit of that fizz again but I have been playing the guitar in low volumes on my Valvestate. A couple of days I managed to play the Explorer through my Laney and it slayed. I 'm using an attenuator now so I can increase the volume and open the map more so it sounded great and not fizzy. I plugged in my Ibanez with a Tonezone in the bridge (both in E standard) and it sounded quite tame in regards to the Explorer. So I'm happy with the current change and what better guitar to have the Black Winters than an all Black Gibson Explorer?

AkiraSpectrum and KailM like this.