Ticketmaster gets fined 4.5 Million USD for misleading ticket prices.

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score
"prices are inflated anywhere between 20 to 65% with added on fees"

https://metalinjection.net/its-just-business/ticketmaster-fined-4-5-million-for-misleading-prices-in-canada?utm_source=Metal+Injection
I can't believe they still get away with this fucking shit.
This shit is the reason why I never buy from ticketmaster if I can help it. Back in 2009 I think I ended up paying something like 30$ to see Trivium with Slipknot but then they tacked on "convenience fees" and "printing fees" (seriously they fucking charged me so I could print out my ticket on MY PRINTER) which brought it up by like 20$.
Fast forward 10 years and I bought tickets to Slipknot's Knotfest show in Chicago, and they charged me close to 70$, with more than half of it being bullshit fees.

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score
That'll show em.

With revenue of near $11b and holding $7b in assets, this is but a blip on the radar for them. Bastards.

They're single-handedly destroying live music.
There was a big class action suit against them a while back here in the USA, but I don't remember how much the ruling against them was for. Obviously not enough to make them change their business model.

I mean look at Bank of America, they're basically the ticketmaster of banking and those sleazy fucks are still getting business despite data breaches and the worst customer ratings of any big bank chain.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
If only fines were relative to the income of the company. :(
I've always agreed with this. I always thought this is how stuff should work. I think it should be percentage based across all assets and total worth. So when a poor person gets a dui and charged $10k and gets 30 days in jail, thus destroying thier entire life for the next 20 years to recover form it, then a billionaire should get charged a billion dollars and 30 days in jail, thus making the punishment and affect on their life the same. Obviously, that's never gonna happen though. This is why these companys keep doing it, because it's really not a punishment, just a "convenience fee" for ripping people off. It's all built into their pricing.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've always agreed with this. I always thought this is how stuff should work. I think it should be percentage based across all assets and total worth. So when a poor person gets a dui and charged $10k and gets 30 days in jail, thus destroying thier entire life for the next 20 years to recover form it, then a billionaire should get charged a billion dollars and 30 days in jail, thus making the punishment and affect on their life the same. Obviously, that's never gonna happen though. This is why these companys keep doing it, because it's really not a punishment, just a "convenience fee" for ripping people off. It's all built into their pricing.
It's probably something they can write off at the end of the year, too.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Every time I see one of these rulings and fines

that-should-do-the-trick.jpg

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Necrobump, but relevant, I think:

Anyone see the news that the Taylor Swift tour broke the record for ticket sales hours before tickets even went on sale? A bunch of people are pissed at Ticketmaster now. Ticketmaster says it was a "bot attack." Now the tickets are getting scalped for tens of thousands of dollars over face value. Ugh.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I'm not going to lie, I might not ever see a concert again because I just can't justify the prices. I used to see all my favorite bands for less than 50-100 bucks, sometimes all together at the same show or festival for that price, and that included some pot and some mushrooms. Now any concert I look up is just ridiculous, and bringing my wife it'd be like 500 plus to see a lot of the bands I've been wanting to see. I'll just stick with local punk shows, as they are more fun anyways.

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score
I went to see Rammstein this summer and it was 130$ after fees for a shitty nosebleed seat. Prices have gone absolutely batshit.

GunpointMetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd much rather give $5 to a local dirtball than $55/ticket to Ticketmaster/Live Nation especially when 99% of the shows that come near me are either legacy acts that haven't done shit in a long time worth giving a fuck about or artists that most people are only going to for their IG/TickTock reels.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Yeah most of the stuff that comes through my area is the very hilariously named, but very fittingly named "Butt rock" acts.

You know like "Nothin' But Rock!" radio stations, that kind of music.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Holy fuck I didn't even realize this was a necrobump and thought they were hit by a fine for the TSwift shenanigans. I don't think it's hyperbole when @MaxOfMetal says they're destroying live music, and that comment was in fucking 2019 before Covid was even a thing, and it's only gotten worse.