Thinking of making 'Shred' Guitar Lesson Site..

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by dougsteele, Nov 4, 2008.

1. dougsteele

dougsteele Doug Steele Forum MVP

I'd like mucho mucho feedback.

I want to make it entertaining yet informative. I notice a lot of dudes with sites are pretty serious, even to the point of being boring.

What levels should there be? What should I cover? How long should each lesson be? Should I look all metal? How many camera angles? What would help my site stand out more than some of the other guys? Would farting into the camera be cool? Do I swear? Do I not swear?

Any and all feedback welcome. I'll take it all in.

Thanks for your time.

I'l also continue to do the ones on youtube, as they're fun and I get a kick out of it.

Emperoff, twiztedchild and loktide like this.
  2. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Well, unlike a lot of other youtube lessons and well, even full DVD lessons, I actually watch your shit again and again.
    I think I've watched your vibrato lesson (even though I already knew what you covered in that video anyway) at least 20 times in the last week because it's so fucking hilarious.

Just a question though, do you actually hate Petrucci or not? I can never tell on that one.

3. dougsteele

Hate is such a strong word. Let's just say I prefer Marco Sfolgi. I respect anybody as a musician, even if I don't understand where they're coming from. Shred Durst picks on JP because of the strong JP/DT fanbase. SD laughs when people defend their favourite guitarist.

Fredrik, John 5, and a few others are on the list. One thing at a time though..I think I'll just be me on the site and if you like me, you'll like the lessons. If not, that's cool too.

Shred Durst will not be apart of the site in any way, i don't think.

4. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

The problem with 'levels' is that the definition is different from person to person.
    It's partly subjective and objective really.
    What you need at least, is to give the user some idea of what you consider to be beginner, intermediate, advanced, something which can be a bit lacking on some shred lesson sites I find.

5. kung_fu

kung_fu Vulcan Lute God

I think doing shorter vids/lessons that focus on specific topics would be the best way to go about it. Think of them as you would if guitarworld gave you an article. They only give you about a page, which is about enough to cover one specific topic. I guess what i'm trying to say is make each video a "page" long:lol:. In terms of minutes I would probably say 5 minutes max per video, but 3 minutes would be even better. It should be brief enough that the material can be digested (not mastered of course) in basically one view. You can have a variety of videos that tackle the many different shred styles (neoclassical, fusion/shred, blues chred, etc) and techniques (sweep, legato, alternate picking etc.) Tabs could be provided as a suplement to the videos of course, which would save time/make the videos shorter since you wouldn't have to play the lick over and over again. (DONT do the multi-angle, fullspeed/halfspeed/snailspeed thing unless for comedic effect because i usually just get bored to tears)

As far as humor goes, make it funny but workplace safe. Maybee PG13. You could even have a different charcter to cover each technique or style. Big hair and puffy shirt for neoclassical, cowboy hat for blues etc. if each of your instructor characters has their own funny qwirks I think your site could become quite popular.

6. dougsteele

Rockin'. The shorter the better as far as I'm concerned.

7. Mattayus

Mattayus Sir Groove-A-Lot Contributor

Well, from someone who actually runs a metal lessons site, don't make it as mundane as mine! haha, mine's profitable though, and for it to be profitable you have to make it full of hooky marketing language, which may be a turn off for a cynical metalhead but it converts very well for customers.

I don't do videos though, I do downloadable e-books, but I think I might start doing a vid or two.

So, my question is, are you doing this for profit or for the satisfaction of teaching? Because that makes a fucking HUGE difference in how your site is going to look/sound/feel/come across/gain traffic (hits) etc etc.

8. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    Short, to the point. Maybe take one technique, and do 3-5 or more levels of it, increasing in difficulty, and make it so someone could start on a topic, and progress through the videos wihtout feeling that at some point they aren't good enough, all about encouragement and doing it in small steps, so that people don't get discouraged. ALso, that way you can split it into sections, ie, legato, picking, string skipping, tapping, sweeping etc.

Also, the more amsuing the better, amterial sticks in the head better if it's associated with someting else.

Camera angle wise, picking hand from the angle that someone would be looking at it themselves, and from the front. Fretting hand, the same, as it may help people to really associate the frontal view with what they'd be seeing.

Don't tackle just metal, if you can apply different styles to metal, ie, how to incorporate different music styles into another which is always interesting. Most people really don't stray beyond a style as they can't see a way of incorporating it into their every day playing (band, jamming at home, writing etc)

Maybe even look at demonstrating the wrong way, explaining why it's wrong and pointing out common mistakes and pitfalls with a sense of humour, kind of going into the mechanics and what "feels" wrong, and what effect it has and how it limits the technique. You could have an alter ego do this, someone like Joe Flatriani, Steve Why, Spackie Lawless or Faeces Deville...

9. 7 Dying Trees

7 Dying Trees Forum MVP

7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bru
    In fact, the alter egos could all represent a bad habit in a way.

10. Mattayus

That's actually a very fucking good idea! ^ Well done that man!

11. AgentWalrus

AgentWalrus Banned

12. sami

sami porkshop sammiches

13. dougsteele

I think I'm going to do it for both reasons, but more for the teaching aspect. I think I actually like teaching, I'm not entirely sure. I've seen some of these other sites and I think "fuck, if they can do it, why can't I?" I've seen guys on youtube, seen vids, and I think I can convey information in an easier way without having the viewer fall asleep.

My bro in law is doing all the site maintenance, I just want it to look cool and not be cheesy or stupid or whatever.

you got msn? Hit me up. dougsteele69@hotmail.com

14. dougsteele

Faeces deville, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..I want that tattooed on my arm, that is just beyong brilliant.

I want More!!! Guthrie GoHome, Eddie Fag Halen (even though I love the guy), John 6, Angus Bung, Grew Howdidyoudothat, Allan Nosegirth (that was a stretch)..

I could always use Shred Durst for that shit..I'd love to do John 6 actually, base him off Terry from Reno 911, and Viola, hatemail forever.

15. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

Oh man, I would buy membership in a split-second if it goes online. This could be awesome as heck!

16. Sebastian

Sebastian SS.org Regular

Awesome idea with the lessons...

Shred Durst :yesway:

17. Demeyes

Demeyes SS.org Regular

From what I've seen from other sites, there's a few things I would like.

Short videos - I tend to switch off if videos go on longer than a few minutes.
    Keep the speech down too, more playing. Explain it, but don't talk for the whole video. I find learning by watching makes way more sense for some harder techniques.
    Also a few camera angles would be good. Troy Grady style angles of the picking hand. The fretting hand and a good frontal view would cover almost everything.
    Some musical examples of techniques would be useful. Name some examples of songs where the technique in question has been used to good effect so that people can check out those and see how they sound in a full blown musical context.

I've seen some of your other videos and I think you have a good grasp of what people like to see already. You're vids are certainly entertaining enough anyway. Also you have recorded in decent quality too, which puts you ahead of half the guys in youtube trying to explain things.

18. Mattayus

Yeah man fuckin ay. I've added you.

I wish mine was less for profit and more for fun, because I do enjoy teaching, but at the moment it's my only income as I'm a self-employed internet marketer so it has to be all sell sell sell n shit, when I don't really want it to be. Once it gets to a point where I can give it some slack then I'd like to get a forum going on there n stuff man, that might be another idea for you to take part in too. Forums are great for drawing traffic to your site.

As an aside - most Youtube vids of people shredding their asses off are just excuses for kids to show off, but they do it under the guise of a 'lesson'. If there's one thing i've learned though it's that you CAN still have a successful and profitable site, even if there is the same information freely available on the web. People will go to the one with the $ sign and assume it's better. And in your case, it fuckin will be :yesway:

19. Vision

Vision SS.org Regular

Something I learned a while back: If you don't do it, no one else will. The absolute worst that will happen is you will get into and say "You know, this really wasn't for me. Oh well."

20. dougsteele

You're a very nice person. It'll be lots of work, but it'll be lots of fucking fun as well.

Rawk!!!!!!!!

Get on msn, bitch.